Page 2 of 230 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Just throwing it out there, thats what you get for building your major city on the Earth's largest faultline.

Is So Cal or Hawaii going to be effected?

The whales set this one off, I just know it, finally getting their revenge.

YouTube is now live streaming it as well http://www.youtube.com/aljazeeraenglish?feature=ticker

EDIT:

With all do respect though I really hope the best for those people, the videos are so scary I can't imagine that type of thing in person.
    Last edited by Henry7212; 2011-03-11 at 08:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep the pointless and off-topic posts out of this discussion please.

This isn't a joke and people who aren't respectful may incur infractions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Japan is lucky cause they have a really good infrastructure and tons of earthquake proof buildings. The villages are going to be where the damage will be felt most.

"The Reggae Shaman"

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bring the Mayan calendar/Nostradamus/any other thing based on conjecture into this discussion. It's in bad taste and quite frankly just kind of really dumb.

Tsunami watch on the West Coasts of Canada and the US. Meaning.. They will be looking out for one. That doesn't mean that there will be one.
    Last edited by jwescott3425; 2011-03-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Fragment sentences are.

"The Reggae Shaman"

Deleted
    8.9 magnitude... that's some insane stuff... I hope Japan will be okay.

Deleted
    Good thing Japan is "prepared" (as prepared as you can be) for these. In 1930's big Japanese cities burned to the ground following a slightly weaker earthquake.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

For watching it live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Good thing Japan is "prepared" (as prepared as you can be) for these. In 1930's big Japanese cities burned to the ground following a slightly weaker earthquake.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

For watching it live.
    Exactly. It would be like if we had an earthquake hit LA.. Minus the tsunami cause our faultline is on land.

"The Reggae Shaman"

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Wow, the tsunami footage is terrible. It's horrifying watching cars trying to get out on the roads just to get stuck in a line and then enveloped by the encroaching waters. I found myself cheering, "come on! come on!" for the cars trying to beat the waves; it's crushing watching them not make it.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...pt=T1&iref=BN1

can´t even imagine how scared people in those few cars at the end of the video are

Quote Originally Posted by jwescott3425 View Post
    Exactly. It would be like if we had an earthquake hit LA.. Minus the tsunami cause our faultline is on land.
    San Fran is waiting for that day too...
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

10+ Year Old Account
    Hawaii evacuating to higher ground under a tsunami warning.

And various news channels are now reporting that most of the U.S mainland west coast is also under a tsunami warning. The tsunami, should it hit our west coast will very likely be smaller, maybe only a few meters if that. But if you live in a low lying area, don't take any chances.

Deleted
    Hawaii is not that threatened, it's a rather elevated group of islands. But the flat "tropical paradise" islands will be in big trouble.

Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2011-03-11 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I've been keeping up with a LOT, here's what's happened.

-The entire west coast of the US along with Mexico, and even down to Peru are under tsunami warning (Cali was under tsunami watch but got upgraded).
    -Hawaii is going to be hit by the tsunami at around 2:45 AM Hawaii time.
    -Russia evacuated over 10,000 people
    -18 confirmed deaths
    -Over 20 significant aftershocks, about 8 that are over 6.0
    -The tip of Tokyo Tower got bent.
    -Initial tsunami was over 10m high (over 30 feet).
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-03-11 at 10:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Übermicro View Post
    Japan is in the ring of fire, so earthquakes are common. inb4 2012 shitstorm
    Yeah this isn't new to Japan, but it's one of the worst. The worst in 300 years apparently.

You can follow the development on Al Jazeera Live on their homepage http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

It's shocking to see. I hope it doesn't get worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, mass fish kills have never happened before, ever.

Earthquakes, especially swarms in the ring of fire never ever happen.

Hurricanes are a new phenomenon. Ditto blizzards, tornadoes, drought, famine, heat waves and cold snaps.

And volcanoes??? When did this shit start?!?!?!

Ok, I'm done making light of it. But a weakness of the human mind is that it attempts to see patterns where none exist. Freaky natural events (even really rare ones like a Blizzard in June, or frogs raining from the sky) are nothing new at all. But if you're looking for "signs" you'll find them anywhere you look.

I wasn't surprised by the earthquake in Japan as it's a regular occurrence there, but a tsunami? Tough to prepare for that.

So this earthquake has caused a Tsunami warning for all of the west coast of the US. Not good news since I live about 2 miles from the coast in California...

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope everyone in Japan/Cali stays safe.