Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I loved Drogo and his death was okay for me. It just feels too weird to abruptly stop something they have been building up on during the last whole season. I guess I'll just accept they failed the only ones left from the Stark family are a bastard, a girl and a cripple. And I don't even mean to insult them, but honestly they don't have a lot of chances to change anything now, do they? Only John Snow has stark blood and also the power to become anything similar like the king of the north. If anyone wants to be one anymore...
    Too bad this is the non-spoiler thread because, to paraphrase Ygritte, You know nothing.

---------- Post added 2013-06-03 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I wonder at what point did Roose turn? Had he always secretly been allied with the Lannisters and waiting for the proper time to strike? Did Robb's betrayal of Walder Frey even have anything to do with this? i.e. would they simply have executed the Red Wedding when Robb was marrying one of his daughters? Or did Roose and the Lannisters approach Walder Frey after Robb's marriage, knowing he would want revenge?

I'm sure if I go rewatch season 2/3, there will be points where it seems odd for Roose to act the way he did and be aligned with the Lannisters. Were all his bannerman anti-Stark as well?
    The Boltons have always had a rough relationship with The Kings in the North. A long time ago they used to war with them and their sigil, the Flayed Man comes from skinning any Stark they would come across. Granted they've lived at "peace" with the Starks for around 1000 years but Roose is an ambitious man and he saw this as a good time to take advantage and take back the North.

I'm not sad to see Robb and Catelyn pass away, two of the dullest characters of the show. This gives us more time on others as well now that their arc is over.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    When did I disagree?

What I am aiming at is the fact that books are usually much more elaborate, detailed and connected. The TV show leaves me more often than not with not just a wtf feeling, but also with a "this is shit" feeling. I feel like Robs part should have played a bigger and more extensive role in game of thrones, seeing as how much effort has been made to create him in the first place. And now he dies within 5 minutes? In a even worse way than his father? Wat?

Or they should have at least offered alternatives to him (they did, but killed the best of them off as well rather soon and quite poorly with some weird ghost children magic stuff).

I think the book is doing a better job at that, even though I never read them.
    I think you are kind of missing the entire point of the books/show.

War and politics are awful and absolutely no one is safe. People will step all over anyone to move up in power.

It's all based off the War of the Roses, which really happened, and was really like this minus the fantasy elements of course.

The deaths this episode were obviously a turning point. They had been doing very well so far in the War and so on but they broke an important oath to a crazy man and went to him for help anyway. The show didn't capture it as well but the wedding wasn't an overly happy place where they thought everything was fixed and they could now join the Frey/Stark crest with rainbows and butterflies.

Let's say the War in the North is over. You have Dany across the sea who wants to fight for power and has growing dragons. You have Stannis who honestly would probably be the best King fighting for power. You have the Lannisters and their men. You have the Wildlings heading to kill off the rest of the watch then they also want to be a threat to the South. You have what's north of the wall clearly becoming more powerful. You also have a lot of smaller groups popping up who have power and can also break off along with groups you haven't met yet.

It's war and it's politics, people die and betray and murder. He killed off the main character of the 1st book at the end of it for being as good of a person as he could be, what exactly did you expect? It's like being shocked at seeing naked people at this point.

Also, everyone the name thing isn't a spoiler, so you can calm down.

To those upset about it, that dude's account name is not a spoiler. It's not in the books whatsoever. It's a fan theory (and one that I mostly think only happens because people want to ship Dany and Jon together constantly. -_-)

However, this is the non-spoiler thread. There's absolutely no need to make comments like that. Trolling about fake spoilers isn't okay either.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    It's war and it's politics, people die and betray and murder. He killed off the main character of the 1st book at the end of it for being as good of a person as he could be, what exactly did you expect? It's like being shocked at seeing naked people at this point.

Also, everyone the name thing isn't a spoiler, so you can calm down.
    I consumed all 39 episodes in one week. I have no idea what the books are I certainly had no idea that end of season 3 equals the end of book 1.

I made myself a list of all families and how they link with each other, because the story is so vast and connected.

But it seems like I made a huge mistake in linking only families together and thinking individuals will never achieve something in the long turn. I should have looked at them just as well.

The Stark family itself is dead more or less. Few people remain but if the story is good, they can become huge. Let's just hope that at the end of season 8 or so we don't see someone becoming king who got introduced only a few weeks ago by that time.

Most likely what will happen now is that I will stop watching the TV show soon if it goes on like this and start reading the books instead since they seem to be more explaining and interesting.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-06-03 at 07:43 PM.

Goes on like what, being interesting and unpredictable?

I consumed all 39 episodes in one week. I have no idea what the books are I certainly had no idea that end of season 3 equals the end of book 1.

I made myself a list of all families and how they link with each other, because the story is so vast and connected.

But it seems like I made a huge mistake in linking only families together and thinking individuals will never achieve something in the long turn. I should have looked at them just as well.

The Stark family itself is dead more or less. Few people remain but if the story is good, they can become huge. Let's just hope that at the end of season 8 or so we don't see someone becoming king who got introduced only a few weeks ago by that time.

Most likely what will happen now is that I will stop watching the TV show soon if it goes on like this and start reading the books instead since they seem to be more explaining and interesting.
    The Starks are far from dead. If you're discounting Bran and Arya you're a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodletters View Post
    Goes on like what, being interesting and unpredictable?
    It feels like people who read the book up to that point know more than those who watch the show.

I guess when you are at the end of the books, this whole Robb Stark arc feels like a joke compared to really big events.... But now I feel his death was wasted. He should have died in a battle, losing it for all I care, but not like this.

Guess that's what you get when you break your promises because of "love". Should have just married one of his daughters. I kinda loved the face Walder gave Robb when he saw how hot actually one of his daughters was.

"You could have had this, instead I'm going to kill you now".
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-06-03 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I was talking about Ned, who died end of S1. This season is the first half of the 3rd book.

Everyone isn't going to survive the battle for Kinghood. Either they die, give up, or surrender. Robert died, Renly died, now Robb is dead, but the others are all still there. Unless they extremely fuck up the show(if it even makes it to the end of the story since there are at least 3 more books left to be written) whoever wins wont be someone they bring in randomly. The writers know how Martins going to end it, he told them, so hopefully later down the road they bring more focus on that. Wont be for many many season though.

The books will definitely fill in a lot of the space the show is missing, the story is still the same though. A lot of people die, a lot of bad things happen, it's not a happy feelgood story. The insane amount of people who have been killed in the show the last 3 seasons weren't just for the sake of TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    I was talking about Ned, who died end of S1. This season is the first half of the 3rd book.

Everyone isn't going to survive the battle for Kinghood. Either they die, give up, or surrender. Robert died, Renly died, now Robb is dead, but the others are all still there. Unless they extremely fuck up the show(if it even makes it to the end of the story since there are at least 3 more books left to be written) whoever wins wont be someone they bring in randomly. The writers know how Martins going to end it, he told them, so hopefully later down the road they bring more focus on that. Wont be for many many season though.

The books will definitely fill in a lot of the space the show is missing, the story is still the same though. A lot of people die, a lot of bad things happen, it's not a happy feelgood story. The insane amount of people who have been killed in the show the last 3 seasons weren't just for the sake of TV.
    It's like Cersei said to Ned in book one: "When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground. "

15+ Year Old Account
    The bigger picture includes:

• Danny, the "true" queen by blood. She's a major threat, obviously, but she's still halfway around the world. However, Westeros is not the only place on the planet.
    • Stannis, the "true" king by blood and who is supported by a Red Priestess
    • Joffery, who has been named by Stannis in the ritual
    • Margaery and the Tyrells, who are still the second most powerful house in Westeros and are close to rivaling the Lannisters in power
    • Jaime and Brienne, who are on the way to King's Landing
    • The Greyjoy family. Theon is being tortured and Balon (his father) was named by Stannis in the ritual
    • Roose Bolton, who has betrayed the Starks to side with the Lannisters and the Freys for money
    • Littlefinger, who plans to marry Lysa Arryn
    • Tyrion, who is now married to Stansa but doesn't want to be
    • The Brotherhood Without Banners, a powerful yet small group of people with their own Red Priest
    • Arya and the Hound, who now have no obvious place to go
    • Jon and the Watch. Jon betrayed them, so will they accept him back? Also, what has become of the Watch itself after Commander Mormont's murder?
    • The Wildlings, who are still attacking the wall from both sides despite Jon's betrayal
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

It feels like people who read the book up to that point know more than those who watch the show.

I guess when you are at the end of the books, this whole Robb Stark arc feels like a joke compared to really big events.... But now I feel his death was wasted. He should have died in a battle, losing it for all I care, but not like this.

Guess that's what you get when you break your promises because of "love". Should have just married one of his daughters. I kinda loved the face Walder gave Robb when he saw how hot actually one of his daughters was.

"You could have had this, instead I'm going to kill you now".
    People who read the book up to that point don't know more than those who watch the show. You're going to be hard pressed finding people who have only read the books up to that point though. Most of us have read up through A Dance of Dragons.

And you're right, his death was wasted. He should have died in battle, his death should have had more meaning, but that's the point. It's not bad writing, it's superb writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    [*]Roose Bolton, who has betrayed the Starks to side with the Lannisters and the Freys for money
    I'm disappointed they didn't put more emphasis on why Roose was considering switching sides. In the books, it's less down to getting cash for an obese wife (though it still happens), and more because he realizes that Robb's cause is doomed after the Lannister/Tyrell alliance and losing Winterfell.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The bigger picture includes:

• Danny, the "true" queen by blood. She's a major threat, obviously, but she's still halfway around the world. However, Westeros is not the only place on the planet.
    • Stannis, the "true" king by blood and who is supported by a Red Priestess
    • Joffery, who has been named by Stannis in the ritual
    • Margaery and the Tyrells, who are still the second most powerful house in Westeros and are close to rivaling the Lannisters in power
    • Jaime and Brienne, who are on the way to King's Landing
    • The Greyjoy family. Theon is being tortured and Balon (his father) was named by Stannis in the ritual
    • Roose Bolton, who has betrayed the Starks to side with the Lannisters and the Freys for money
    • Littlefinger, who plans to marry Lysa Arryn
    • Tyrion, who is now married to Stansa but doesn't want to be
    • The Brotherhood Without Banners, a powerful yet small group of people with their own Red Priest
    • Arya and the Hound, who now have no obvious place to go
    • Jon and the Watch. Jon betrayed them, so will they accept him back? Also, what has become of the Watch itself after Commander Mormont's murder?
    • The Wildlings, who are still attacking the wall from both sides despite Jon's betrayal
    I would add:

• Where is the White Walker army we saw in the season 2 finale

Also I don't believe the Watch believes Jon Snow betrayed them, he was just separated from the rescue party along with Qhorin and they probabaly assumed he was killed.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-06-03 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Lysa Arryn
    Don't mention that crazy old hag. >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I'm disappointed they didn't put more emphasis on why Roose was considering switching sides. In the books, it's less down to getting cash for an obese wife (though it still happens), and more because he realizes that Robb's cause is doomed after the Lannister/Tyrell alliance and losing Winterfell.
    We might see some in the next episode about that. Who knows?

Robb made mistakes and paid with it in the end, yes a death in battle should happened but he pissed off the wrong people.

His war was a lost cause and no way of winning it, that being said The Starks are not dead yet and the north remembers all.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Also I don't believe the Watch believes Jon Snow betrayed them, he was just separated from the rescue party along with <Can't remember his name> and they probabaly assumed he was killed.
    Qhorin Halfhand \o/

"This is the man who killed Qhorin Halfhand." Read it with Ygritte's sniffling voice.

---------- Post added 2013-06-03 at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Robb made mistakes and paid with it in the end

I suppose a lot of us feel like that.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Qhorin Halfhand \o/

"This is the man who killed Qhorin Halfhand." Read it with Ygritte's sniffling voice.[COLOR="red"]
    Thank you. Not that even matters though, I'm not sure the Watch can take him back if the Watch doesn't exist anymore. Though when Jon and Mormont initially left Castle Black, I remember some individuals stayed, so I'm not sure if they are still there or if they even know about the mutiny or what.

Also I'll be curious to see if these events mean the Lannisters now also command the armies of House Bolton and House Frey, because that would put their numbers rediculously high. So high that Stannis would surely know he could never win a real war, his only hope would be the Lord of Light.

Deleted
    Robb's death, brilliant scene.

Hail houses Baratheon and Lannister.
    Never been a fan of house Stark as a whole. They're honourbound people they say, look what became of them.. a scattered pack of wolves, dying one by one alone.
    Like the Hound said, you'd think Arya would take an example of honourable Ned with the guy at the cart. Robb clearly got the right message, but the gods didn't like him. Whereas the Lannisters clearly brought the message. I do feel bad for dem Stark supporting folks. We can now focus on the Baratheon, 'Baratheon' and Greyjoy part of the war, though (until the dragon's flame burns them all ofcourse).

Imagine if the Kings would send letters to eachother if someone died:
    'Dear Balon.
    Robb Stark is dead, he took an arrow to the chest (lol)
    Sincerely, Your Kings Joffrey 'Baratheon' and Stannis Baratheon.'

I'm really shocked by the lack of White Walkers in this season when you consider how last season ended. Hundreds marched towards the wall and then...what? They are just waiting trying to find a way up?
    they were marching towards the first of the first men, not the wall. The place where the whildlings later found all the heads from horses placed in a pattern. But all the corpses of the nightwatch were gone (risen from the dead).