No spoilers please.
    Not a spoiler - just a popular theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That was Joffrey's doing.

This however IS a spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    It was confirmed, in the books.
    Strongly hinted, never proven. Seems true, might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Therec View Post
    Inviting people to a wedding - The Freys and Lannister, nothing personal just a dick way to end a war.
    There was clear motivation behind it.

A few things had changed since the Freys had allied themselves with Stark.

-> Robb Stark had gone back on his word on taking one of the Frey girls as his Queen.

-> Renly was assassinated and his armies were decimated after joining up with his brother Stannis to attempt a siege on King's Landing.

-> Renly's assassination had caused the Tyrell's to join up with the Lannisters, thus bolstering their numbers and their ability to finance their war effort considerably against Robb.

->Baelon Greyjoy had decided to invade the North, meaning the 'King in the North' had to contend with yet another army.

->The Northern armies had let their key hostage, Jaime, first son and heir of the man leading the largest army opposing them, slip.

-> Some of Robb's decisions didn't confidence in his ability to lead. His risking losing the Frey's support by going back on his promise to them of joining his house with their's in matrimony and ignoring advice from Bolton on key matters such as executing prisoners of no importance to preserve their resources and time and torturing the rest for information. His inability to bring the Greyjoys and Baratheons to his side didn't help either, the inability to do so not being an actual failure on his part but one could imagine his allies seeing it as such.

Being on the side with the odds stacked against them and no promise of being joined with the "royal house" (if they won) via matrimony, the Freys along with Bolton decided to betray Robb. It was a practical move on their part, unlike Joffrey's actions which are usually just cruel for the sake of his personal entertainment and joy (which usually coincides with horrible loss and/or suffering for someone else) rather than for reasons of military or political practicality or self-preservation.

Infact, a lot of such decisions of his actually hurt him, his position and the strength of his rule and yet he goes on to do them out of sheer malice and stupidity.

There are a LOT of examples of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Loras Tyrell? He left because of the midget jousting, didn't he?

He's Renly Baratheon's mount.
    Yep. He was angered and insulted at the way his and Renly's ("alleged") relationship was being ridiculed publicly as entertainment.

Also interesting is that the dwarf representing Stannis is riding the red priestess. Something we've seen the real Stannis do (and do quite well if I might add).
    Last edited by Vivek; 2014-04-14 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Littlefinger WAS conspicuously absent during the wedding ceremony...

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Littlefinger WAS conspicuously absent during the wedding ceremony...
    If you remember he's been sent to the Aerie to try to get them to join the lannisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Therec View Post
    There are a good amount of sadists in the series, however Joffrey has so much ire b/c he's a sadist continues to be a sociopath every chance he gets, and through 3 seasons gets away with it without so much as a slap on the wrist. Plus he's a major antagonist to Tyrion which is one of the fan favorites.

The amount of downplay you have for the the psychological flaws of Joffrey is concerning. Shooting a hooker full of arrows in your bed is not something the average "rich spoiled brat" does.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also break down every incident you mention.

The people who made the girl fight with a bear - messed up but a single incident by no-named people
    The testicles being cut off - Ramsay Snow, a very evil character, IMO the most evil one in the series.
    Pushing children of a tower - Jamie Lannister, a conflicted character who changes for the better.
    Attempting to murder a cripple boy - don't know who actually sent the assassin, but assumed to protect the "secret"
    Inviting people to a wedding - The Freys and Lannister, nothing personal just a dick way to end a war.

All these incidents are done by different people, are one-time incidents for each character, (except for Ramsay Snow) and (other than Ramsay Snow) have motives behind the intentions. Joffrey does all the sadistic things he does FOR THE FUN OF IT. He has no motives, no conflict, no chance for redemption. He's just a purely evil character. The only other one who is ever as evil is Ramsay Snow and if he was built up over 3 seasons people would share the same ire.
    And how you downplay cutting someone's testicles off, and crippling a young boy isn't concerning? or any other personal attacks because I have a non standard opinion?

Yes Joffrey is a dick, and why? Because he doesn't have a reason to be anything else. Yes Joffrey is a bad apple, but his family and surroundings made him into that. I personally love Joffrey, he isn't afraid to do whatever he wishes, and Tyrion? I like him as well, just wish he'd grow up a bit and realise that being witty won't save you from getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    ;-)

Remember, this is a no spoiler's thread!
    Hence the spoiler tags, and, well, my comment could mean anything. I mean this is Game of Thrones. Everyone is a conspirator, willingly, wittingly, or no.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Yes Joffrey is a dick, and why? Because he doesn't have a reason to be anything else. Yes Joffrey is a bad apple, but his family and surroundings made him into that. I personally love Joffrey, he isn't afraid to do whatever he wishes, and Tyrion? I like him as well, just wish he'd grow up a bit and realise that being witty won't save you from getting killed.
    Let me get this straight.

You love Joffrey because he isn't afraid to do whatever he wishes (or rather whatever he can get away with - which is basically almost every character in the story isn't it?), and you want Tyrion of all people to 'grow up"?

I mean you do realize as far as maturity of the characters is concerned Tyrion would rank pretty high up on the spectrum as being one of the most mature ones in the entire series with Joffrey being on the other end as one of the most immature (not to mention stupid) characters. Right next to Viserys, Theon and Lysa...

Tyrion uses his witty remarks when he CAN'T act rather than as a substitute for actual action. In some cases his wit translates to actual action and has served to save his life ( from Lysa) and secure him position (Hand of the King) and respect (that of his father in the command tent during S1) if you totally forgot Season 1. When given power Tyrion has put action in the front seat instead of wit always incase you're completely forgetting Season 2. Not even sure where you're coming from with all that...
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.

And that's the first guy in my guild who got it spoiled from going to image sites... *sigh* I bloody well told them not to go on any until they watch this episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how are you show-only people keeping up with all the characters at this point? Getting confused yet?

My smile during the last 5min

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    And how you downplay cutting someone's testicles off, and crippling a young boy isn't concerning? or any other personal attacks because I have a non standard opinion?

By your standards, Tommen and Myrcella should be dicks, too, but are completely not. In fact, they're considered good. Myrcella is Tyrion's favorite. So it's not the result of their environment, nor the result of the immorality of the incest that parented all three of them, but a fundamental flaw in the makeup of Joffrey. He's a psychopath, out and out.

Also, cutting someone's balls off during the course of torture is definitely fucked up. No one is saying Ramsay Snow isn't a psychopath either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    So how are you show-only people keeping up with all the characters at this point? Getting confused yet?
    I'm not... <-<

It's hard to keep up with pretty much anything other than the ones that show up a lot of times or have more memorable scenes but even so. There's so much going on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No one is saying Ramsay Snow isn't a psychopath either.
    Without doubt the most fucked up character in the entire series in my opinion.

Ramsay Snow is a sick sick puppy.

Everything from his actions down to his expressions to the very disturbing things coming out of his mouth is more than testament to that.

Ramsay is just misunderstood and misguided invidual
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    While you guys are busy speaking about the last episode I'm still trying to figure out how many Dornishmen does it take to ... a goat.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    While you guys are busy speaking about the last episode I'm still trying to figure out how many Dornishmen does it take to ... a goat.
    I really wanted to hear how that one plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I really wanted to hear how that one plays out.
    I am still waiting to hear the rest of Tyrion's "I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..." story from Season 1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am still waiting to hear the rest of Tyrion's "I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..." story from Season 1.
    And not only that, we still don't even know what did Podrick do to those women.