The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really good episode. Question though, for some reason I had been under the perception that Daenerys had already known about Jorah's spying and betrayal of her during season 1. I remember a scene in Qarth where Jorah is begging Daenerys for forgiveness, which she ultimately gives him. Does anybody remember what I'm thinking of? If not I might have to go back and watch season 2 again, because that's gunna bug me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Really good episode. Question though, for some reason I had been under the perception that Daenerys had already known about Jorah's spying and betrayal of her during season 1. I remember a scene in Qarth where Jorah is begging Daenerys for forgiveness, which she ultimately gives him. Does anybody remember what I'm thinking of? If not I might have to go back and watch season 2 again, because that's gunna bug me.
    He left her to find her a ship, and was not there to help protect her and her dragons when they were taken and some of her people were killed, IIRC. That was what he was asking forgiveness for...not being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I watched the latest episode last night, after reading these threads beforehand. After seeing so many people claim that they have strong stomachs and say they still felt sick and that the results of the fight was "brutal", I've gotta say I was really disappointed after seeing it for myself.

I must have an iron stomach, because I can't see how that was any different than many other deaths they've had on the show as far as gore is concerned. I was really expecting worse.

Anyways...I haven't read the books, just watched the show. Personally I really hope they don't kill off Tyrion. I realize that George R.R. Martin seems to have no cares whatsoever for killing off his characters even if they are fan favorites, but you would think he'd be smart enough to at least some of them so people still want to watch the show. o.O
    I am personally sensitive to eyes torture. The only scene I ever looked away in television history (that I watched) was the offscreen tear out of eyes in episode 6 (?) of Hannibal season 2. When I saw oberyn I for the first time of my life reacted verbally and jumped up, people thought I am crazy. It's all about what you think is the worst thing that can happen to yourself, that will terrify you the most P:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaundiced View Post
    I cannot believe the last minute of episode 8, holy crap.

Bossness pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    I like Tywin. What now?
    There are thrones and then there are thrones.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    I like Tywin. What now?
    Perhaps you've made a terrible mistake, perhaps you haven't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I don't think I'm much different than a lot of people in my favorites being the "good" and "likeable" characters that you can root for.

I like Tyrion, Daenerys, Arya, Jon Snow, and as much as I though Sansa was boring as all hell before, she feels like she's starting to grow into an actual likeable character. At the very least, an intelligent one. I also like Brienne and have liked the changes they made to Jaime Lannister's character after he started his way back to King's Landing.

Other than those, I can take or leave a lot of them, and some of them I just fully hate.

That being said, we've already lost a lot of characters that people were fans of. Mainly all the dead Starks, and Oberyn now.

I'd actually like to see some more focus on the Tyrell family. Olenna is well written and amusing, and as much as I didn't want to at first, I like Margaery as well. She seems like she could have some awesome potential as a character.
    Game of Thrones is one of the few shows/films where I don't fully hate any character, whether they're dumb, evil or just absolutely annoying. They did a good job at that for me.

Alot of my sympathy towards characters also greatly depends on their actor. I adored Joffrey because Jack was so good at being a complete, and most of all, believable piece of shit. Seeing him go was a huge blow for me because of the actor.
    Tywin, Jon and Tyrion are the same deal basically. Their actors are very good at what they do imo. Makes you appreciate the character even though they might be shitheads or idiots.

The GRRM "no good things happen without 10 bad other things" thing is beyond old at this point. I can't wait to tune in next week to see which one of the few likable characters dies off, it will be SUCH an unexpected twist!

I don't want any replies with spoilers, but if Tyrion get's killed I think the show/Martin does a huge mistake. Killing of favorites can be a good thing, but after doing it for 4 seasons straight, it kind of loses it's 'shock factor' and ends up feeling like 'that's another great storyline thrown out the window'. A show needs likable characters that people are invested in. I don't give a flying fuck about who wins between the Greyjoys and the Bolton family. I'm not really cheering for Stanis either. With a show filled with different characters, the only major ones I actually 'cheer' for are Tyrion, Jon Snow, Arya, Sansa, and then to a lesser degree Tormund, The Kingslayer and Littlefinger. Lets just say that list used to be a whole lot bigger...

10+ Year Old Account
    Next week is episode nine. if history has taught us anything about this show, be afraid, be very afraid.

You have to keep in mind.....books 1-4 were released lonnnnnnnnnnnng before the series ever aired. Book 5 came out in the first season. Series-wise, we're still in book 3, which was released in 2000 or something. Blaming GRRM for potentially killing off a "series favorite" isn't really fair to him.

At the same time, there's a pressure to be (somewhat) faithful to the books, and *NOT* killing off a major character that died in the books would be very difficult to do. You couldn't have let Ned Stark or Robb Stark or Catelyn Stark live because Sean Bean or Richard whatever-his-name-was or Michelle Fairley were fan favorites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seme View Post
    Next week is episode nine. if history has taught us anything about this show, be afraid, be very afraid.
    Oh yes, I CAN'T WAIT.

I'd bet money on Tyrion surviving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Oh yes, I CAN'T WAIT.

I'd bet money on Tyrion surviving.
    It'll be about the Battle for Castle Black, which means it'll be like the Blackwater episode. Everything will be centered around the wildings and the watch, there's no way they're shoving Tyrion in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Really? You can't enjoy a good bit of well-acted out dialogue? What are you, 11?

The beetle-smashing scene was essentially, Tyrion trying to bring their conversation to a nicer time. He doesn't want to think about or talk about his possible death. He wants nostalgia. That is one way to get it. You totally skipped over the seriously awesome scene with Sophie Turner (Sansa) crying out and performing so well where she told the truth up to the very end where she lied. It was just so perfect how she did that. You ignored the good scenes/can't grasp their meaning or importance or how deep they really are, so are just automatically assuming they are stupid and have no meaning. Get a grip.
    Look at what most people have been talking about since the latest episode aired, most of them wrote about the fight, the last 5 minute thing i kept mentioning in my previous post . I didn't bother to look back on every page since this season but i presume they talk about the death of joffrey , tyrion's fight to the death wish and so on , all of them "5 minute" things added to the end of the episode .

I doubt you see many people talking about " that bank loan tho ' ! " or "that great acting dialogue about those two wondering if a willy is still there or has been cut" , or "that beetle talk made the whole episode! ".
    Yes , Sansa's part was there and while apparently it didn't go as that in the book as someone said earlier, it was there , i didn't care much for it since i don't like Sansa ( maybe i will in the future) , that's why i also said " people like different things or plots" .

In short, there are "filler" scenes about nothing but there's also scenes of note ( traitor guy, sansa etc ) but they are still not as important as what they show in the end of each episode , that's what people usually like more and talk about , apart from last episode where i presume it will be full of action as it usually is in every other show.
    Last edited by mmocb3b54be47d; 2014-06-03 at 07:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    You have to keep in mind.....books 1-4 were released lonnnnnnnnnnnng before the series ever aired. Book 5 came out in the first season. Series-wise, we're still in book 3, which was released in 2000 or something. Blaming GRRM for potentially killing off a "series favorite" isn't really fair to him.

At the same time, there's a pressure to be (somewhat) faithful to the books, and *NOT* killing off a major character that died in the books would be very difficult to do. You couldn't have let Ned Stark or Robb Stark or Catelyn Stark live because Sean Bean or Richard whatever-his-name-was or Michelle Fairley were fan favorites.
    Many fan favorites are still alive though :

Tywin
    Tyrion
    Jaime
    Sansa (she is not a fan favorite for all though)
    The Hound
    Arya
    Thormund
    Ygritte (not a fan favorite of all though)
    Jon Snow

Just to name some.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ballack View Post
    I don't want any replies with spoilers, but if Tyrion get's killed I think the show/Martin does a huge mistake. Killing of favorites can be a good thing, but after doing it for 4 seasons straight, it kind of loses it's 'shock factor' and ends up feeling like 'that's another great storyline thrown out the window'. A show needs likable characters that people are invested in. I don't give a flying fuck about who wins between the Greyjoys and the Bolton family. I'm not really cheering for Stanis either. With a show filled with different characters, the only major ones I actually 'cheer' for are Tyrion, Jon Snow, Arya, Sansa, and then to a lesser degree Tormund, The Kingslayer and Littlefinger. Lets just say that list used to be a whole lot bigger...
    I don't think characters like Tyrion, Daenarys, Jon Snow, Sansa or Arya will be dying for some time although ofcourse that might happen in season 6 and 7. I honestly don't think none of those will be killed in the later two seasons (which is based off the winds of winter & a dream of spring)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    It'll be about the Battle for Castle Black, which means it'll be like the Blackwater episode. Everything will be centered around the wildings and the watch, there's no way they're shoving Tyrion in there.
    I don't mean for next episode, I mean for the remainder of the season.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Look at what most people have been talking about since the latest episode aired, most of them wrote about the fight, the last 5 minute thing i kept mentioning in my previous post . I didn't bother to look back on every page since this season but i presume they talk about the death of joffrey , tyrion's fight to the death wish and so on , all of them "5 minute" things added to the end of the episode .

I doubt you see many people talking about " that bank loan tho ' ! " or "that great acting dialogue about those two wondering if a willy is still there or has been cut" , or "that beetle talk made the whole episode! ".
    Yes , Sansa's part was there and while apparently it didn't go as that in the book as someone said earlier, it was there , i didn't care much for it since i don't like Sansa ( maybe i will in the future) , that's why i also said " people like different things or plots" .

In short, there are "filler" scenes about nothing but there's also scenes of note ( traitor guy, sansa etc ) but they are still not as important as what they show in the end of each episode , that's what people usually like more and talk about , apart from last episode where i presume it will be full of action as it usually is in every other show.
    I get where you're coming from, but the way you originally made your point, you were writing off the other 55 minutes as pure filler and more or less, nothing of note. Yes, obviously something like this fight is going to be the big point in the episode, that's what the episode was named for, The Red Viper vs The Mountain. I'm okay with that. However, Game of Thrones is not like a lot of other shows where they could have tons of filler for hours, almost all of the scenes in this episode were pushing the story forward. Sansa's scene, mind you, I also couldn't stand her for the longest time but this most recent bit by her? Fantastic job, I've possibly been brought over to her fanbase. Her character up till now has just mostly been a boring dumb Justin Beiber fan who then got pissed on by the Beebz and got pissy about it. Now she's finally become a woman and a far more interesting character.

When my friends and I were watching, we all were yelling out "HOLY SHIT SANSA" after her scene. During the beetle scene? We were laughing our asses off! I look back at this episode with a great mixture of feelings:

There's pure happiness and shock at Sansa's awesome change of heart (essentially) and performance of such done by Turner.
    Hilarity at the beetle scene.
    Sadness and anger at Oberyn's death, as expected as it was, his actor was just awesome. Seems like a lot of people who read the books still hated seeing him die, partially because of how the character was portrayed by Pedro.

Yes, the episode has its climax, no that doesn't make the rest of the episode forgettable/unworthy.

Shall we just make Game of Thrones into seasons of 10 5-minute long episodes? Is that what you'd like?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Shall we just make Game of Thrones into seasons of 10 5-minute long episodes? Is that what you'd like?
    Nope , i like the show that's why i rant a bit about it or else i wouldn't care how it goes , i saw an interview where GRRM said that a book has 600 pages long and a season script has like 60 pages long, that's what bothers me, if you try and cram 600 pages into 60 pages at least put eveything important that you can in those 40-ish minutes of each episode . I could live without seeing that dude make a bank loan like he was in a "day in the life of Stanis " documentary or that woman belching or the mother of dragons scenes in this episode for example and exchange them for something more interesting from the book which i am sure they exist.

Nope , i like the show that's why i rant a bit about it or else i wouldn't care how it goes , i saw an interview where GRRM said that a book has 600 pages long and a season script has like 60 pages long, that's what bothers me, if you try and cram 600 pages into 60 pages at least put eveything important that you can in those 40-ish minutes of each episode . I could live without seeing that dude make a bank loan like he was in a "day in the life of Stanis " documentary or that woman belching or the mother of dragons scenes in this episode for example and exchange them for something more interesting from the book which i am sure they exist.
    If you haven't read the books, you should tread carefully on this particular subject.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Thormund
    Who? Don't forget about Bronn.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    And then she goes out of her way to, at every opportunity, prove how massively stupid she is. She would've died... countless times so far, through her own sheer stupidity, if it wasn't for the fact that conspicuously conveniently placed men with power have wanted to put their tongue on her ladyparts so much they were willing to betray their previous missions just to please her. Jorah, Daario, both of whom would've easily ended her story single-handedly if they didn't want to hit that. Heck, Daario made a complete fool out of her and her entire entourage with his courtship (look how easy it would be for one guy to sneak in and kill the queen of dragons; good thing she has plot armor otherwise she'd have died to a billion of these assassins by now). Then of course in the last episode she dismisses Jorah like the unrepentant moron she is. Yeah, because Varys didn't have a billion other little birds reporting on her activities; if Jorah hadn't been there Varys would still have known and she'd have died... then she turns around and dismisses him because she may in fact be the dubmest character in the entire series, possibly only beaten by Jorah himself.

But I've ranted enough.
    Granted you could say the same thing about Tommen then.

Where is Rickon? Have not heard of him in a while.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-06-03 at 11:43 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    If you haven't read the books, you should tread carefully on this particular subject.
    I'm actually planning on reading the books when I get the time, and I'm curious how closely the show follows the books, for one.

Something like The Lord of the Rings split the books into three 3.5 hour movies, and there was still a ton of material in the books that wasn't even in the movies. Granted, the span of all of the episodes of a TV show is going to have a slight bit more leeway with time when putting material in from books, but it's got to be a difficult job to try to make it all fit.

I'm sure the TV show producers must have had their reasons for putting specific scenes in the show even if they didn't exist in the books. More than likely they have to do with giving the more popular characters a little bit more air time than they'd get otherwise.

For example, I'm a big fan of Daenerys, but with what's she's up to right now, I doubt we'd get to see much of her if they didn't toss in a few scenes like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Granted you could say the same thing about Tommen then.
    See, I was thinking this when I replied to the same poster as well. Tommen is young and inexperienced, just as Daenerys is.

She was supposed to be 14(?) when she got pregnant with Drogo's son...how is she supposed to know how to lead unless she learns?