Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Cheapest Possible Desktop for WoW Ultra?

I'm thinking of getting a desktop that can run WoW on Ultra at the highest resolution.
    What would be the cheapest you think I could get it at?

I'm not too tech savvy and would prefer not to buy the parts, instead I'd rather just get the finished thing of possible.
    Help meh please :P

What country do you live in? You omitting it implies that you're American.
    What peripherals do you have?
    Highest resolution? On one screen (2560x1600) or three (7680x1600)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not buying the parts individually and building it yourself adds to the price. When you say at "the highest resolution", resolutions can get absurdly high. Specify. What's your current monitor? 1920 x 1080? It takes more power to run a 1920 x 1080 than a 1240 x 768 or smaller. This makes a difference because WoW isn't reliant as much on your GPU as it is on your CPU. Recommending a budget GPU would give us the opportunity to expand on CPU power, or vice versa.

Also, is there anything you'll be using outside of World of Warcraft? Newer games? Rift? Or are you strictly World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    What country do you live in? You omitting it implies that you're American.
    What peripherals do you have?
    Highest resolution? On one screen (2560x1600) or three (7680x1600)?
    I giggled at the American comment. <3 I love you Tetris.

Deleted
    Well I am American but live in Sweden, either way I was mainly looking for general estimates lol. And I think a 2560x1600 or a 1920 x 1080 if that's a bit overdone would do.

How much % would the price be reduced by building it myself? Also woulnd that mean I'd be screwed if something just went all bonkers on me with no guarantee. (remember tech noob)

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 05:18 PM ----------

I might play other games but I doubt I'd play them on highest settings. That's strictly for wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Well I am American but live in Sweden, either way I was mainly looking for general estimates lol. And I think a 2560x1600 or a 1920 x 1080 if that's a bit overdone would do.

How much % would the price be reduced by building it myself? Also woulnd that mean I'd be screwed if something just went all bonkers on me with no guarantee. (remember tech noob)

I might play other games but I doubt I'd play them on highest settings. That's strictly for wow.
    Generally speaking, computer's don't go "bonkers" if you follow the instructions. What's your budget? I know you're looking for cheap as possible, but seeing what you expect would be better.
    Will you need a monitor? Peripherals? (Mouse/Keyboard/Headset/Speakers)

Deleted
    Yup I'll need a monitor. (I wont include stuff like the keyboard/mouse/headset in this)

Well I'm not really sure about the budget quite yet, I would be able to plan more with estimates because I am clueless about this. Of course no one would want to spend more than neccessary so cheaper would be better

My general thing is I want to play WoW at Ultra with an FPS that won't make me slam my keyboard. If the computer can do that then it can definitely cover all my other needs. Once again I apologize for being so nubile

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/298009/cheap-mmo
    I put together a build at the lowest I'd go with, for Ultra. 5524 SEK + 99 SEK shipping.
    Cut away the assembly (Montering och test av dator med valfria komponenter) and you save yourself 795 SEK.

I think they are all compatible, if they're not, they'll tell you in the purchase-confirmation email.

EDIT: added Optical drive.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-03-19 at 05:31 PM.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Generally speaking, computer's don't go "bonkers" if you follow the instructions. (Mouse/Keyboard/Headset/Speakers)
    Oh I'm just always paranoid that something will bug out like my current comp did. The guarantee was a lifesaver.

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 05:28 PM ----------

I put together a build at the lowest I'd go with, for Ultra. 5358 SEK + 99 SEK shipping.
    Cut away the assembly (Montering och test av dator med valfria komponenter) and you save yourself 795 SEK.

I think they are all compatible, if they're not, they'll tell you in the purchase-confirmation email.
    Haha thanks! looking at it now.

Deleted
    i bought my comp for roughly 1000dollars and i run wow on ultra without any problem

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    i bought my comp for roughly 1000dollars and i run wow on ultra without any problem
    Err, how does that help HIM?

The 5770 needs more than 400W power supply. Recommending an AMD anything right now is really iffy. I know they're great for budget builds, but I'd still consider them a no-go until we see an upgrade.

Deleted
    Oh I'm just always paranoid that something will bug out like my current comp did. The guarantee was a lifesaver.[COLOR="red"]
    Individual components often have their own warranty - in many cases its longer than that of the OEM. Does mean a little bit of troubleshooting though for less obvious errors.
    The 5770 needs more than 400W power supply.
    No it doesn't. The margin is a bit limited - but its got sufficient power.
    That motherboard is one of the 7 confirmed Sandy Bridge compatible Gigabyte boards. Should do well even later on. A BIOS update will be required in a few months to bring out this compatibility, but its a good thing to have nevertheless.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-03-19 at 05:35 PM.

Deleted
    I put together a build at the lowest I'd go with, for Ultra. 5524 SEK + 99 SEK shipping.

EDIT: added Optical drive.
    Looks quite alright. You make it sound like this build wont do very well at ultra haha.....
    Do I have to add windows 7 to that or will it come with?

Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    Likes da price.

The 5770 needs more than 400W power supply. Recommending an AMD anything right now is really iffy. I know they're great for budget builds, but I'd still consider them a no-go until we see an upgrade.
    http://www.sweclockers.com/image/dia...2546144c318669
    ^ What the whole system (with an overclocked i7-975), 5770 at the bottom.
    It won't need more than that :P

As for AMD, well, I wouldn't use it myself. But a budget is a budget. I'll see how much it'll be with an i5-2300 and a cheap-ass Mobo :P
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Individual components often have their own warranty - in many cases its longer than that of the OEM. Does mean a little bit of troubleshooting though for less obvious errors.

No it doesn't. The margin is a bit limited - but its got sufficient power.

That motherboard is one of the 7 confirmed Sandy Bridge compatible Gigabyte boards. Should do well even later on. A BIOS update will be required in a few months to bring out this compatibility, but its a good thing to have nevertheless.
    I think I misread, I saw an AMD processor in there. Meh.

Anyway, I browsed through Newegg and they all say 500W, 600W for Crossfire. (Not that he's going to be crossfiring.)

I didn't misread. That's an AMD motherboard. AM3 socket. Can't run a 1155 in there... ever.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-03-19 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Err, how does that help HIM?

So If I use a Nvidia and tweak it a bit then the price would go up to something like 1500USD/9000kr?

Looks quite alright. You make it sound like this build wont do very well at ultra haha.....
    Do I have to add windows 7 to that or will it come with?
    Oh, you didn't specify. My bad.
    Add http://www.inet.se/artikel/9122292/w...bit-svensk-oem or English. It adds more costs though.

It will handle ultra. Not as well as an intel build, but it will handle it. (minus shadows + possibly water)

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 06:39 PM ----------

So If I use a Nvidia and tweak it a bit then the price would go up to something like 1500USD/9000kr?
    If your budget is as large as 9k SEK, I can do wonders with a way better build. :P
    But you did say cheapest
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd do better upgrading your Power Supply than your video card, for future upgradibility.

The power supply isn't that good anyway. I've never heard of the brand, so I'm going to assume it's not good. (I know that's a terrible outlook, but I try to stick with brand names I know, even if I have to pay a little more to know they'll work.)
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-03-19 at 05:43 PM.

tinyurl.com/600dollarcomp got an email from nvidia for their new release gpu for mid level users that can play the upcoming crysis 2 on max settings and hv a excellent frame rate for only 600 USD

Deleted
    You'd do better upgrading your Power Supply than your video card, for future upgradibility.
    Oh, you didn't specify. My bad. It adds more costs though.

It will handle ultra. Not as well as an intel build, but it will handle it. (minus shadows + possibly water)

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 06:39 PM ----------

If your budget is as large as 9k SEK, I can do wonders with a way better build. :P
    But you did say cheapest
    Ok guys lets say we push it to 1500USD / 9000Kr.
    Can this get me a completely functional computer(windows 7 etc) that runs on ultra no questions asked?

Ill digress from using the word "cheapest" to "reasonable". lol

Whip me up something sexy Tetris so Fuzzy can have a go at it rofl.

The power supply isn't that good anyway. I've never heard of the brand, so I'm going to assume it's not good. (I know that's a terrible outlook, but I try to stick with brand names I know, even if I have to pay a little more to know they'll work.)
    What. It's Fractal Design.
    It's a Swedish brand, and well known for their Define (r3)-cases.
    http://www.sweclockers.com/recension...10/20#pagehead
    ^ also a recommended PSU :P
    Corsair and FD, are the only two brands I'd ever bother touching.

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 06:47 PM ----------

Ok guys lets say we push it to 1500USD / 9000Kr.
    Can this get me a completely functional computer(windows 7 etc) that runs on ultra no questions asked?

Ill digress from using the word "cheapest" to "reasonable". lol
    Yes. Gimme a few minutes, I've already begun tinkering with a build for you :P
    &nbsp;