CPU vs GPU upgrade

My Macbook Pro crapped out on me a few months ago, and not being able to play WOW has been driving me crazy. I'm thinking about picking up a Dell XPS 15, but I'm stuck.

Going with their Federal Employee Discount (Military) vs their normal website gives me different upgrade options, and I'm having a hard time deciding what's going to be more important.

For a difference of less than $50, I can either get an
    i5-2520 w/ an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics card
    or
    i5-2410 w/ an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics card

It'd cost me an extra $100 to upgrade the 2520's video card, and the next upgrade for the 2410's processor is an i7 and that'd cost nearly $300... neither is really an option.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

Your WoW FPS is largely based on your CPU, so I'd get the fastest CPU you can afford.

What's your budget?

Both configurations are coming in at less than $1100 before taxes and shipping. I'd like to stay in that ballpark.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

10+ Year Old Account
    the i5's are overkill for wow honestly, your better off getting the gpu you want, and i say this with love but the biggest thing that will off load your cpu will be your gpu once dx11 becomes more prominent.
    Last edited by Halabash; 2011-03-22 at 02:41 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look at some of the specs for the 525m and 540m, it looks like the 540 is just an overclocked version of the 525.

I would go with i5-2520 w/ an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Halabash View Post
    the i5's are overkill for wow honestly, your better off getting the gpu you want, and i say this with love but the biggest thing that will off load your cpu will be your gpu once dx11 becomes more prominent.
    No. Just no. Faster CPU will yield more FPS in WoW in almost any scenario than slight overclock to GPU. Stop spreading false info.

The Gpu hands down. Most all games will bottlenecked by both cards because thats what will hold them back if you have problems. I5 will be more then enough for games. I'm talking all games not just wow. Wow isn't the most graphically intense game by any stretch.

540m will give you better fps in WoW. Neither of those 2 cards are powerful enough to get bottlenecked by the CPU (in WoW). And if you play any other games, you will see an even bigger boost with the 540m.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    No. Just no. Faster CPU will yield more FPS in WoW in almost any scenario than slight overclock to GPU. Stop spreading false info.
    I7's are overkill for WoW, not the I5 (2500K)

(I'm agreeing)

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    I7's are overkill for WoW, not the I5 (2500K)

(I'm agreeing)
    Perhaps the desktop models are, but the laptop models certainly aren't since they run at a significantly lower clock speed.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Didn't notice the OP had a laptop, my bad.