Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    What's funny is you almost never see any SW:ToR people in the GW2 thread doing to them what they do to us.
    Because it's popular to make snarky comments about something that's a perceived threat.

TOR is going to be a big hit, because it has a lot of WoW-ness to it. Not that it is WoW in space or any of that garbage, but if people enjoyed WoW, and are looking for a similar experience, but with better presentation, they'll like TOR. Of course there will be people that don't like TOR that love WoW, because they either hate Star Wars or Sci-Fi, but that's understandable.

GW2 doesn't cost a monthly fee. Some people can't get past the fact that you buy TOR now, pay your monthly fee, and when GW2 comes out, you plop down your 60 bucks like every other game and woah, look out, you can play that as well. I'm sure plenty of people will. It looks like it's going to be a fairly good seller out the gates. Sort of like they do with WoW now. They pay their $15, but they still buy, gasp, other games, oh noes, you can play several games at the same time, imagine the concept.

GW2 has far more to lose in the long run. TOR hasn't promised a dang thing they haven't delivered on, which was the failing of more than a few MMOs along the way. They'll have plenty of subs, with plenty of bang for your buck, in a popular setting, with a company that can deliver with a re-imagination of the most popular MMO currently. GW2 is trying to do what a lot of other companies have done, and reinvent the wheel (I love clichés!) by "removing" the trinity (they still have it, just in a less conspicious form, regardless of whatever mumbo jumbo they try and spin people that heal better, and people that take damage better and people that DPS better) and essentially making a giant solo game.

I'm sure GW2 will do fine since there will be people that want a solo game, with a flat leveling scheme and they never have to interact with a single other person if they don't want too. They can PvP to their hearts content. I just hope they don't expect some shining example of endless gameplay that's not going to happen. No money rolling in = less content, unless the Arenanet guys are happy working on the next expansion gratis. You'll never know how well the game is doing until expansion no. 1 comes out and you get to see sales for it. They can claim "we have X million subs!" since no one ever "stops" subbing to the game.

GW2 will do fine, but to think it's going to be some giant success (aka bigger than WoW is/was) and that F2P is the only game is town is a bit far fetched. TOR will do just fine, as long as the BioWare guys keep dumping out quality content. WoW, TOR and GW2 can coexist all together in one little package, with people that play some or all of them.

Tera however, is going to do the dead fish flop. The Secret World I wouldn't touch with a 80' pole. Those two, I'd avoid like the plague, since they already have failure written all over them.
    Last edited by TurnbuckleBill; 2011-08-18 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    What's funny is you almost never see any SW:ToR people in the GW2 thread doing to them what they do to us.
    Just look at the page count between the two threads. It's obvious which is more popular on this forum. The big guy always becomes a target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Finally got a chance to watch the operations video last night, the one on Darth Hater. Have a couple questions anyone might shed light on.

Raid frame UI seemed pretty basic and useful - Have they mentioned anything new about movement of UI frames? Even if just raid frames?
    Target of Target - Is this in the game? I have not seen it yet

Healing - Have they implemented the "healing ui" I heard about in a Q n A yet?
    Healing -Did it seem like 2-3 folks in the raid group were almost dead half the time? Or was that their resource bars going empty?
    If 1 how the hell didn't they die? If 2 the healing didn't seem too terrible, in fact it was minimal.

I have more I will start with this group.

Thanks for the discussion.
    They wiped on purpose, there was zero healing when the big boss robot showed up.

---------- Post added 2011-08-18 at 02:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xourico View Post
    btw, u guys seen the numbers on the pre.orders? already over 300k pre-orders...

is it me, or that is massive? I mean... 300k subs is already enuff for the game to pay itself over time, 500k makes it profitable, and we dont even have a release date...

when a release date is known I feel that the pre-order number will go kaboom! :P
    Some investment firm predicted 3 million sales in the first year, holding onto 2 million subs. Thats the first year alone.

Deleted
    I've been watching some of today's Q&A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tey2RQi1xq0

Some questions... make me die inside. "Can we have a space ship?" Yes. "Can we design our own spaceship? Or can we add things like a chair to it?" SDOAIdjSOisosjdaoi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnbuckleBill View Post
    WoT
    As long as it's not just trolling à la "amagad this is just a wow clone gw2 is so much better", it's ok I guess, it's obvious that SW:TOR and GW2 will be the big contenders for the second (or, who knows) first spot in the western MMO market, so it's only normal that people will be comparing the 2. That doesn't mean gw2 fans should just go troll in this thread though

OT: calling GW2 a solo-minded game makes as much sense as calling SW:TOR a solo-minded game, none

Some investment firm predicted 3 million sales in the first year, holding onto 2 million subs. Thats the first year alone
    I think that's reasonable, I can see sw:TOR getting 4 mill by the end of 2012 if all goes well and the game delivers.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz415 View Post
    I've been watching some of today's Q&A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tey2RQi1xq0

Some questions... make me die inside. "Can we have a space ship?" Yes. "Can we design our own spaceship? Or can we add things like a chair to it?" SDOAIdjSOisosjdaoi
    I would love to put my own chair in my spaceship. I think what he means is like, can we personalize it, can we decorate it? It would be a very nice timesink for people who are bored of other stuff at the time being.

Deleted

Happens in all the Q&A's, people ask dumb questions. Questions you can find the answers to in 5 minutes on google.

---------- Post added 2011-08-18 at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    As long as it's not just trolling à la "amagad this is just a wow clone gw2 is so much better", it's ok I guess, it's obvious that SW:TOR and GW2 will be the big contenders for the second (or, who knows) first spot in the western MMO market, so it's only normal that people will be comparing the 2. That doesn't mean gw2 fans should just go troll in this thread though

OT: calling GW2 a solo-minded game makes as much sense as calling SW:TOR a solo-minded game, none

I think that's reasonable, I can see sw:TOR getting 4 mill by the end of 2012 if all goes well and the game delivers.
    I am dubious about 4 million, thats close to what WOW has in the western market. WOW took 7 years to hit that number, i think TOR has a long way to go yet. Maybe after the first expansion when they release 3d space combat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Happens in all the Q&A's, people ask dumb questions. Questions you can find the answers to in 5 minutes on google.
    Well probably a lot of people at these conventions that don't really check forums daily, or may have never even heard of the game
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Well probably a lot of people at these conventions that don't really check forums daily, or may have never even heard of the game
    it is still a wasted question, a valuable question could have been asked to trick info out of them. It has been done before.

i never understood this. if you're a fan going to a conference about a game wouldn't you be the least bit curious about it before hand. Not just swtor but Q&A sessions are normally the most retarded questions ever. Can I have spaceships? Can my character dance? Can my character take the lightsaber crystal, grind it up, snort it like coke and shoot lasers out of his face?

Deleted
    About that, we actually have someone here in this thread that's attending and asked us to post questions which we'd like him to ask at a Q&A, any news on that? I can't find a full vid of today's Q&A, I'm wondering if he got there today.

Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    i never understood this. if you're a fan going to a conference about a game wouldn't you be the least bit curious about it before hand. Not just swtor but Q&A sessions are normally the most retarded questions ever. Can I have spaceships? Can my character dance? Can my character take the lightsaber crystal, grind it up, snort it like coke and shoot lasers out of his face?
    No, many people go to big conventions like this just because it's a fun thing to do, and it's cool to see all the different games. A lot of people don't go there actually knowing what's being showcased.

Deleted
    Can my character take the lightsaber crystal, grind it up, snort it like coke and shoot lasers out of his face?
    I'd love to see that question asked instead of can we have space ships. Could you imagine the look on the devs face if someone asked that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the conference is not about SW:TOR, some people probably just saw the booth, got excited, went to the Q&A, and got to ask their question.

They can't all be red shirt guys
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Gamescon had many, many games presented, and not only EA games. Gamers from all over the world go there, some of them have never touched an MMO in their lives. What we're really rather cross about is the fact that we'd expect more from a Q&A related to an MMO. MMO fans are far more likely to research the game before hand, in fact, many of us already know what class we're going to play, what we'll spec in, what crafting skills we'll choose etc. We want some new info, but we already know so much about the game it always seems that Q&As give fans nothing. The reality is though, most people DO get new info from that since they don't camp SR's twitter all day or watch leak sites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gamescon had many, many games presented, and not only EA games. Gamers from all over the world go there, some of them have never touched an MMO in their lives. What we're really rather cross about is the fact that we'd expect more from a Q&A related to an MMO. MMO fans are far more likely to research the game before hand, in fact, many of us already know what class we're going to play, what we'll spec in, what crafting skills we'll choose etc. We want some new info, but we already know so much about the game it always seems that Q&As give fans nothing. The reality is though, most people DO get new info from that since they don't camp SR's twitter all day or watch leak sites.
    This.

Also, conventions are used to draw more people to the game, so it's obvious that the presentations they give (apart from the few new things) are just repeats of earlier stuff.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    I think Rift was, as far as I know the first to do this. And yes it was a great idea and something that probably every mmo will copy going forward.
    Actually pretty sure SWG was before Rift. Rift came out in 2011. Last summer (2010) SWG added AOE looting. Regardless, yes it's a great feature.

Well the conference is not about SW:TOR, some people probably just saw the booth, got excited, went to the Q&A, and got to ask their question.

They can't all be red shirt guys
    I know the convention is not specifically about swtor. But their conferences are. Plop yourself at e3 or whatever, what game conferences would you go sit through? Personally I'd try to get into the ones I were interested in.

But outside of the fact that this is at gamescom I've seen retarded Q&A's even at Games conventions. In ffxi at the FFXI festival they used to hold yearly (similar to blizzcon), someone asked for a recipe for cheese sandwiches in the game. Later the company added it in as a joke, but such a waste of a question when an expansion was right around the corner.

TOR = You can solo to 50, but there's quite a bit of content you have to have a group for (leaving out the part about coming back if grossly overleveled and soloing it)

Relevant FAQ - Can I play alone?
    While there are some tasks that cannot be completed without the cooperation of others, the majority of the game can be accomplished by playing alone.

GW2 = You can solo to 50, and while there is some content that requires a group, you can still be "solo" even if others are around, with their scaling scheme, which is entirely different than a group quest in TOR.

Relevant FAQ - Will Guild Wars 2 be solo-able?
    Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group if you so desire. Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game however they prefer.

At the same time, it is important for an MMO community to join together to overcome challenges. Guild Wars 2 will feature challenges that require players to join forces.

So both games have a large solo portion, but GW2 is more solo-oriented. I can guess pretty closely how TOR will play out, with grouping, which will be a problem later on at the low levels, unless people go alt crazy, as group quests will be fairly hard to get done if no one is around on he starter worlds (common problem in almost every MMO). GW2 is a bit of a different animal though, since you essentially can do group content while still being "solo", but you don't have much of a choice if you're doing some event, and 5 other people decide to show up. You can hang on your own, or group up, your choice. Might work out, might not, just have to see on that one.

Regardless, games are moving towards the solo-but-group side of things, much unlike past history like EQ1, where you are almost required to group to do just about anything past the starting levels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post

---------- Post added 2011-08-18 at 02:45 PM ----------

...Maybe after the first expansion when they release 3d space combat
    I LUV JOO!!!!

Yes, I have nothing but love for those like me that wish for a 3D space sim in TOR.