Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    Sorry, Star Wars is not more like fantasy, it is Sci-Fi western.
    Science Fantasy is a legitimate genre. The difference between Sci-Fi and Sci-Fan is that Fiction usually cares about the technical details of the world it's created in, and fantasy is more concerned with the story. (Star Trek writers spent alot of time on the science of their world to make it plausible.) The details about how things work is what makes Star Trek Science Fiction. The science advisors would change the details of the story to make the science "facts" of that world more in line with our world's science.

If you just look at the Star Wars movies, they are mostly Science Fantasy. It's not just about the force, it's that the tech of the stories only exist to further the story along. If you don't believe me, consider this: The empire has enough money to build 2 death stars, why would they not put shields on their fighters? I mean, I literally just erased 5 more examples of the tech being used as a means to an end.

Now, it definitely has some western elements to it, but it's definitely on the science-fantasy end of the fiction genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caanon View Post
    Well I ordered the same about an hour after preorders started so I think things were bit overloaded, I got one email quickly, and the second email after 40 minutes. The second email is what you want. After your Shipping address in the email you are looking for something like this:

Product SKU: 71185
    Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-Order
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: $5.00
    Digital Rights: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Where the XXXX is your code that put into the swtor website for preorder.
    It's about 2 hours later now and I still haven't received anything, so I'm fairly certain my impatience screwed me over, and either email or origin registration wasn't fully processed. I posted at EA support and will contact origin support tomorrow when they have people at the office. Thanks for the info Caanon and tnpm

Picking threw the swtor site. I am already over wow. Its safe to say I won't be returning to that game. Swtor has so much more then I have ever seen . Crewmate npcs that gather while your offline, 2-4 man dungeons. Battles in space in your own ship. The professions alone have me already wanting it to be released now! >< . My guess is though blizz is already gonna show a video of the next expansion at blizzcon to try and derail swtor. I don't really care about wow to even take notice. After searching and reading threw the swtor site. I can say I have my old wow addiction back but now its a swtor addiction. XD

In regards to unfinished games:

I played and followed Warhammer Online with even more animosity than I am now following TOR. For the couple of years I spent waiting for WAR to release, it was my entire life. I sat and worried through several and several more delays and release date pushbacks. In the end, Mythic (or EA most likely) decided that the game was late enough. They would launch one month before Wrath of the Lich King whether the game was ready or not. The game was not ready.

In order to meet that release date, Mythic cut two classes (primary tanking classes at that) before release--the Knight of the Blazing Sun for the Empire, and the Black Guard of the Dark Elves. In addition, the cut 4 cities from the original 6. Warhammer Online is a game whose ultimate goal involved the ransacking and pillaging of your enemy's capital, culminating in a complex boss fight with the enemy king. Each race was to have their own capital as each race had their own PvP "campaign" against a mirror race--Empire v Chaos, Dwarves v Orcs, and High Elves v Dark Elves. Instead, they left only Empire and Chaos's capitals.

These cuts were made mere months before release and they were made with no purpose other than to rush the game to market before Wrath came along. The game shipped in a cut up and glued together state, with loads of obvious oversights that Mythic simply was not given the time to fix. Its release schedule destined the game to failure. Looking back, I would have gladly waited another year or more if it meant the game launching as it was supposed to.

I don't want TOR to fail in the same way. I'm confident that it will be ready for Holiday 2011, but if it gets pushed to 2012 I say better than otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    In the end the game is pretty complex, from a story, balance, coding, along with everything else viewpoint. Rift was more successful than lets say Aion, AoC, games like that because it was very polished at release.
    Actually Rift is doing worse than both of those games. Aion is still the 2nd most successful MMO after WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Actually Rift is doing worse than both of those games. Aion is still the 2nd most successful MMO after WoW.
    Not when it comes to subscription based MMO's, Rift is the second biggest MMO at the moment in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post

I was always curious what was supposed to be in the Telos Military Base Subbase, where the door wouldnt open but you could see it was a zone transition. Amd then there was the Sith Holocron in Korriban. Only way to open the door was to use explosives, but the explosives destroyed the Holocron.
    It was depending on your alignment , if u were Dark Side holocron was intact and if u were Light Side holocron was destroyed

Situation was reversed for holocron on Jedi Academy on Dantooine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Devirae View Post
    Not when it comes to subscription based MMO's, Rift is the second biggest MMO at the moment in that category.
    Aion is subscription based and if MMOdata is correct Rift doesn't even come close to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Aion is subscription based and if MMOdata is correct Rift doesn't even come close to it.
    You're completely right, Rift is the second biggest MMO when it comes to the western market, not worldwide.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...rions_Reid.php

Don't know if it was mention before but i saw this interview on darthhater with Gabe. Thought it was interesting. He talks about Operations and Warzones http://darthhater.com/2011/08/21/gam...terview/page/1
    Last edited by Bane123; 2011-08-22 at 12:34 AM.

The thing I fear the most is about playing a healer and having a hard time. Like WoW was for many years, took ages to level a healer.
    And add to that the fact that a healer isn't required for the flashpoints (don't know about the high level ones though).

If I now choose to play one, will quests go extremely slow to complete and I won't be needed in flashpoints until alot higher level? Like.. raids? Granted, the companion will alleviate some of the hassle I suppose.
    PvP, sure, there's one spot where healing will be needed and sought after.

Can anyone relieve my fears about the questing / instancing though?
    Don't wanna feel un-needed up until half the game has passed..

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post
    The thing I fear the most is about playing a healer and having a hard time. Like WoW was for many years, took ages to level a healer.
    And add to that the fact that a healer isn't required for the flashpoints (don't know about the high level ones though).

If I now choose to play one, will quests go extremely slow to complete and I won't be needed in flashpoints until alot higher level? Like.. raids? Granted, the companion will alleviate some of the hassle I suppose.

Many of the leaks that I have read is that once people start getting situated into their roles, which they don't even have until they get their ACs, that PC healing isn't necessary. But once there needs to be a dedicated healer that they will definitely have a place. They don't really trust Companions to tank or heal.

It would take ALOT more than that to damage this games rep.

If Daniel Erikson got on a clocktower and shot 23 paraplegic orphans and formed a satanic cult i would STILL buy that game
    I know it's wrong on so many levels, but that made me laugh so hard! I WILL NOT be searching for a picture to post for this one as I do sometimes with stuff that catches my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post

With the 'one stat' method healers are not any more difficult to level than anything else. Especially as companions are half your power when solo. And healers are very in demand on beta even for the first flashpoint (lol), but particularly in heroic quests.

---------- Post added 2011-08-21 at 09:08 PM ----------

I'm not sure why you're apologizing for voicing your opinion. It's not very offensive to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I seriously doubt that you can change the color of your lightning bolts. As for ships/gear, i know that atleast at laucnh ships wont be customizable. however, i can see BW adding this in the future.
    I know you are talking about cosmetic things, but just so some people don't get confused. There will be customization of your ship but just in "performance" for Space combat. During the E3 space combat preview they talked about how one of the rewards you can gain is "parts" for your ship to improve various things. Lasers, missles, engines etc.

So you can in a way customize your ship and set it apart from someone who has never done space combat, but it will still look the same and the interior isn't really customizable. Though it would be nice if upgrades to engines/lasers/whatever has some visual effect.

"Mods as it stands right now are purely functional, such as weapons, shields, etc. Cosmetic modifications to the ship (such as hanging a painting up on your wall) are supported in the game tech, but are not currently available."http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/5195/Space-Combat-Presentation.html
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    How long has Myrrar been following this thread? I love seeing that profile pic :P

Anyway, question for the beta testers: is there any sort of tutorial system at play yet? Like, when you first start the game and it throws you into that first conversation, does it say "this is the conversation wheel. Use it to select the response you wish to give to the character you are conversing with."? If not, is there any indication that it is in the works? I can imagine a function like that would be EXTREMELY popular given the complexity of the game and many players' inability to understand how things work by observation alone ("This guy must be choosing all the right answer because he always gets the screen...").

The wait is growing increasingly hard to deal with, all of this juicy info, all of the great videos feeding my need for more. I cannot do it anymore, this game looks amazing. Also i wanted to ask as i have not yet read about it yet, is there going to be some sort of npc reputation type thing in game? I love reputations and i think that something like that would add a lot more things to do at max level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    If you just look at the Star Wars movies, they are mostly Science Fantasy. It's not just about the force, it's that the tech of the stories only exist to further the story along. If you don't believe me, consider this: The empire has enough money to build 2 death stars, why would they not put shields on their fighters? I mean, I literally just erased 5 more examples of the tech being used as a means to an end.
    As for TIE fighters they didn't have shields so they could "go faster". They also didn't have hyper drives. In the star wars universe fighter craft have limited power supply and the "faster" fighters usually had lower powered shields or other things. Its why the A-Wing was a "glass cannon" its defense was its speed. The same was true for the basic tie fighter. Its twin solar panels and lack of other systems made it a speed demon.

An over sight in the long run for sure which is why more advanced versions of TIE craft had them and other systems. But they certainly weren't any less deadly.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    Anyway, question for the beta testers: is there any sort of tutorial system at play yet? Like, when you first start the game and it throws you into that first conversation, does it say "this is the conversation wheel. Use it to select the response you wish to give to the character you are conversing with."? If not, is there any indication that it is in the works? I can imagine a function like that would be EXTREMELY popular given the complexity of the game and many players' inability to understand how things work by observation alone ("This guy must be choosing all the right answer because he always gets the screen...").
    Nothing like that as of yet. Closest we have is the 'codex' which stores knowledge about stuff, but not much 'how do play' in there right now, mostly just lore.

I'd say it's more space fantasy really. There is nothing science about it. Star Trek is your sci-fi, Firefly is your sci-fi western, Star Wars = space fantasy. In my opinion of course.