I'd just like to point out that you deem him to trip up a lot.

Honestly, let's say some hundred thousands get updated by SR, either directly on the Twitter or indirectly by gaming magazines/sites quoting him, forums and so on. That means there's probably some hundred thousands that'll see his twitter feeds. Even if he said it as clear as possible, there's always going to be a handful amount of people that lack the perception/understanding/intelligence to get what he actually said.

Personally, I find the statement to be understandable enough to not understand why people are currently complaining... again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    snip
    Actually a release date for a release date isn't something that is remotely necessary business-wise.

We just like to think it is because we've been waiting for a long time.

Dropping a release date w/o warning just 2-3 weeks before the game would hype it even more.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

@ Nakaya because I'm too lazy to press quote

Most of the patch notes are class balancing and a lot of the lines are "we gave this area/instance the final art pass" and "X got a final polishing", so I wouldn't say that they aren't pretty much done. They've pretty much taken the cake out of the oven and they're applying the frosting now, imo.

Besides, they've been saying for a while that we won't know release date 'till October, right? So it's not like they're holding it back.

Also, the reason that I like to believe why there was only 1 beta weekend is probably because they had finished the new build sooner than they expected and they wanted to launch that onto servers and test it out instead of testing out the old build again and again for several weekends just to appease people. The beta weekends were nothing more than a publicity stunt to keep people happy; I don't think they really NEEDED any information the beta weekend people could've given them.

Quote Originally Posted by Royaltru View Post
    I don't think they really NEEDED any information the beta weekend people could've given them.
    They'd likely need 2 of them. 1 as a smaller scale stress test to pre-test the system, with population amounts at a low percentage of max capacity -> tweak and process and adapt information -> hold a second test close to max capacity.

Other than that, I'd assume it's mostly a publicity and advertising stunt, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    sorry but... they didn't show even HALF of available companions yet...

There are over 40 companions in total. 5 for each class.
    Well ok technically Bioware havent released all the companions yet but im sure nearly everyone has seen them all. I for one have seen all 41 companions due to *looks around for Trolls quickly* ahem leaks....5 for each class and the robot butler thingy for all...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    They'd likely need 2 of them. 1 as a smaller scale stress test to pre-test the system, with population amounts at a low percentage of max capacity -> tweak and process and adapt information -> hold a second test close to max capacity.

Other than that, I'd assume it's mostly a publicity and advertising stunt, yes.
    I think it is safe to assume (and I'm pretty sure someone who is familiar with these things has mentioned it before) that companies don't really need people to actually stress test servers anymore; they can do it on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people are so horny for beta tbh.

It's a plot-based game. Not only that but I a lot of the enjoyment in leveling your first char in a game is when you don't know anything at all including quests or particular spells or whatnot.

I personally didn't apply for a beta invite on purpose.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Most of the time SR twitters are read by excited teen swtor fan boys/girls who fail to grasp the English language properly then rush onto the official forums in a tiss and start to stir shit up all because they fail to read it properly.

---------- Post added 2011-09-24 at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post

It's a plot-based game. Not only that but I a lot of the enjoyment in leveling your first char in a game is when you don't know anything at all including quests or particular spells or whatnot.

Yeah at first i wanted to get in the beta really bad cos i was so desperate to get my hands on the game and ''test'', but im kinda glad i didnt tbh i got invited to the first round of Warhammer Online closed beta test for europeans and felt like it spoiled the actual game for me >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    Most of the time SR twitters are read by excited teen swtor fan boys/girls who fail to grasp the English language properly then rush onto the official forums in a tiss and start to stir shit up all because they fail to read it properly.
    I've seen lots of his comments, a lot of them are confusing and ambiguous. And I assumed it was his job to make them quite the opposite.

Anyway, let's drop it. Doesn't really matter too much. Twitter has never been a reliable source of news on major game updates regardless.

I'll believe a release date when I see it on swtor.com.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live blog on the BioWare sesion at EXPO now far as I can tell:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/24/eg-e...g-at-12pm-bst/
    Last edited by Daniboy; 2011-09-24 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added info

I can give you two reasons:

1. Boredom. Unless you're raiding on WoW or Rift, there isn't much else at the moment for MMO players.
    2. This game's been in development since forever. People just want to get their hands on it, even if it's Beta.

If I were to get in, I'd play a Republic class I don't plan on playing Live, so I didn't spoil too much.

@Zealous - Take a game like Rift. You knew well in advance when the release was. I dunno, I guess I only prefer the way Rift went about their release because I'm being selfish and just want to know. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Royaltru View Post
    Also, the reason that I like to believe why there was only 1 beta weekend is probably because they had finished the new build sooner than they expected and they wanted to launch that onto servers and test it out instead of testing out the old build again and again for several weekends just to appease people. The beta weekends were nothing more than a publicity stunt to keep people happy; I don't think they really NEEDED any information the beta weekend people could've given them.
    Eh, not so sure about this. I'd *like* to believe it too, but from how I imagined it.. would be them starting out small, and as the month went on, inviting more and more people to test their servers. It wasn't necessarily the build that was being tested, but how their servers handled all the people.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    I can give you two reasons:

1. Boredom. Unless you're raiding on WoW or Rift, there isn't much else at the moment for MMO players.
    2. This game's been in development since forever. People just want to get their hands on it, even if it's Beta.

If I were to get in, I'd play a Republic class I don't plan on playing Live, so I didn't spoil too much.
    1. I quit WoW many months ago and am not currently actively playing any MMO.
    2. I've been waiting for ToR for a very long time.

I want to play it very badly too, but I'd rather not spoil anything for myself. I've waited a really long time, I can wait another month or two.

But people are different and that's just me.

Deleted
    Currently playing cultures online myself, it is realy realy bad. but its a massive timesink

other than that, football/f1/cricket its all good. sucks that tv programmes like big bang theory have only just started the new seasons, dexter is like mid october etc tho. its not a game but its something i guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post
    Currently playing cultures online myself, it is realy realy bad. but its a massive timesink

other than that, football/f1/cricket its all good. sucks that tv programmes like big bang theory have only just started the new seasons, dexter is like mid october etc tho. its not a game but its something i guess
    Tried LoL with friends, loved the game. Now friends are busy and playing that game solo leads to suicidal/homicidal tendencies and thoughts of obliterating mankind with a nuclear weapon.

Tried DDO with another friend, liked it in general. Friend got bored, playing it alone is boring too.

So now I'm rewatching the terabyte of various TV serious on my PC. Currently on the early seasons of Angel. Love that show, David Boreanaz is awesome in it.

1. I quit WoW many months ago and am not currently actively playing any MMO.
    2. I've been waiting for ToR for a very long time.

I want to play it very badly too, but I'd rather not spoil anything for myself. I've waited a really long time, I can wait another month or two.

But people are different and that's just me.
    You're the exception. :P Ask most people here, and they'd do some very unscrupulous things for a Beta invite.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

15+ Year Old Account
    December 20th! I don't know how I am going to make it until then. At least I get about two weeks off then so that works out well.

10+ Year Old Account
    from euro expo 2011
    12:32 Johnny Cullen:
    They've got one more announcement.

12:32Johnny Cullen:
    LAUNCH DATE!They're announcing the launch date.

Here we go

Remember to pre-order.

December 20 in the US, December 22 elsewhere.
    Last edited by Snowtigress; 2011-09-24 at 11:37 AM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    December 20th!
    December 22nd in EU

Guess that means plenty of time for beta testing and weekends though ^^;
    That's a lot later than I'd have thought..
    Especially with shipping and all, I sure hope the 'grace period' will be long enough to last until after Chrismas o.O

Just been put up on swtor.com as well
    Press release: http://www.swtor.com/news/press-release/20110924
    News article with subscription info: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924
    Last edited by Madeira; 2011-09-24 at 11:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beaten to it

Deleted
    Oo the doctors seem to have announced a launch date just now: december 20 in the US, december 22 elsewhere

OMG I'm so gonna take some days off then