Tanking Ascendant Council

So basically, on the second phase, if you are tanking Terrestra, do you try to grab the 'Swirling Winds' and 'Grounded' buffs to avoid the ultimates or do you stay in place?

I'm asking this because I, as a DK tank, had trouble kiting the boss and getting the buffs while also Deathstriking and Runestriking for RE procs regularly ánd keeping up diseases.
    Would it be better to just take a 'Quake' or a 'Thunderstruck' in the face and get more healing and blood shields in return?

Deleted
    We use a DK tank, mds on the phase swap, and he goes to the relevant buff, also helps any melee to grab it to

You can use all your skills while strafing - don't see your problem

Deleted
    Of course you need to grab it. Both our tanks are DKs, they both grab em.

10+ Year Old Account
    They dont hit that hard. The ultimate hit a lot harder. So you should always try to get the debuff. Also I find having a DK tank on Airon is better that way we can AMS that lightning strike he does after he teleports away. (Bloody annoying too)
    Naus' Armoury - Armoury

Deleted
    save your RP for the phase change the then blow DRW runestrike ERW and more rune strike spams then you can happily move to get the right debuff without fear of losing theat.

Deleted
    You should be moving the boss to the <cylcone> or <ground effect> to maximize dps on them seeing as the rest of the raid will be moving to them to get the debuff. You can use personal cds on the abilitys, neither will kill you without cds up and by the time they reach you again your healers have 3 sec to heal you up anyway if needed.

Get the cyclone buff and ignore the Gravity well buff. Reason is, Thunderstorm will always hit for roughly the same amount (which really isn't much at all, and less so if you use AMS), however Quake damage is modified by Earth guy's "Hardened Skin" buff he casts onto himself, which makes his Quake a lot more deadly (if Hardened Skin is not interrupted) and could possibly one shot you if you don't time your AMS well (and even then, you'll be critically low)

It's quite safe to always remain floated throughout the entirety of Phase 2, just use AMS at the right time when thunderstorm is cast and even if you don't it's still no more than 40% of your health

Edit: I'm fully aware that I have the official names for the spells completely wrong!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowg View Post
    Get the cyclone buff and ignore the Gravity well buff. Reason is, Thunderstorm will always hit for roughly the same amount (which really isn't much at all, and less so if you use AMS), however Quake damage is modified by Earth guy's "Hardened Skin" buff he casts onto himself, which makes his Quake a lot more deadly (if Hardened Skin is not interrupted) and could possibly one shot you if you don't time your AMS well (and even then, you'll be critically low)

It's quite safe to always remain floated throughout the entirety of Phase 2, just use AMS at the right time when thunderstorm is cast and even if you don't it's still no more than 40% of your health

Edit: I'm fully aware that I have the official names for the spells completely wrong!
    THis just reeks of slackage. It's really easy to switch buff and it maximises dps on the boss, and the only reason not to do it is because you're slacking too much and letting your healers pay the price.

Thanks for the great advice guys, we'll be going at them next monday and I'm sure we'll get them down. Wasn't aware that with me and the boss moving to the appropriate buff the melee dps can get their buff and maximise dps on the boss, ty

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    THis just reeks of slackage. It's really easy to switch buff and it maximises dps on the boss, and the only reason not to do it is because you're slacking too much and letting your healers pay the price.
    It's not slackage at all to be honest, Thunderstorm is such a non-issue and it's really not hard to time AMS for it (and AMS is really not needed at all), as a DK I simply save a Deathstrike for after Thunderstorm is cast and voila, healers don't really need to heal me. With Thunderstorm being such a non-issue, it's absolutely unnecessary to get the grounded buff.

I'm not saying it's stupid to get it, by all means grab the grounded buff if you're not too bothered and want to look out for healers (or not comfortable with your health/timing of AMS). On the same token however, as a DK tank, I see nothing wrong with not grabbing the grounded debuff. At the end of the day, I'm a lot more free to position the boss to where I please (away from the guy marked for chain lightning, away from either a tornado/gravity well) if I ignore getting the right buffs.

Deleted
    Im a warrior tank and I always grab the buffs. I dont see what the problem is? ^^

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why some people are suprised. Ignoring 'grounded' is what tanks do, even on Heroic - Terrastra is far more dangerous, because you can't resist Quake and it can instagib anyone with Harden Skin. Of course, you "should" be grabbing it, but sometimes it spawns in some ridiculous place - and you can't just drag the boss there ignoring your melee, or Harden Skin won't be interrupted - there are rods, Flame Strikes, being slowed = eruption hit, etc. On normal, there's the added bonus of 'ultimates' doing negligible damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    I don't see why some people are suprised. Ignoring 'grounded' is what tanks do, even on Heroic - Terrastra is far more dangerous, because you can't resist Quake and it can instagib anyone with Harden Skin. Of course, you "should" be grabbing it, but sometimes it spawns in some ridiculous place - and you can't just drag the boss there ignoring your melee, or Harden Skin won't be interrupted - there are rods, Flame Strikes, being slowed = eruption hit, etc. On normal, there's the added bonus of 'ultimates' doing negligible damage.
    Our definition of "negligable damage" definitely differs. Then again, I'm a healer, so it's my job to care for such things.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our definition of "negligable damage" definitely differs. Then again, I'm a healer, so it's my job to care for such things.
    Funny thing is, so am I. Thundershock does, what, 60k on normal? Add resists, tank built-in damage resistance, and it's around 40k. Which is pretty much regular melee swing, big deal.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2011-04-01 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Funny thing is, so am I. Thundershock does, what, 60k on normal? Add resists, tank built-in damage resistance, and it's around 40k. Which is pretty much regular melee swing, big deal.
    It does between 75 and 85k. Which is hardly negligable. Even if it was 40k, what tank seriously gets hit for 40k by a melee hit?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It does between 75 and 85k. Which is hardly negligable. Even if it was 40k, what tank seriously gets hit for 40k by a melee hit?
    Every single one? Regular raid boss attacks do that much, usually more, what's so suprising about that. And here, we're talking about one ability, on predictable timer, with almost no additional raid damage. For 150k+ tanks, it's really nothing, and even if, they can use cooldowns - it's not like Monstrosity hits very hard either.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be doing your best to get the appropriate buff, if anything kiting him to it keeps the melee out of his ground spikes. If you can't get it for some reason at least be in the air and AMS through thundershock. Avoid quake at all costs.

Either way, I think i've been hit by thundershock/quake like once while tanking and that was from someone with lightning rod running near the gravity well I was going for.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.