10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Action against trolls

This is only a suggestion that action be taken against trolls before threads turn into flame wars in all forums. Recently I saw a post on a thread where I had commented on a troll to reread the guidelines and that it was considered trolling and reported the post like I normally do. A mod commented saying that it should be left alone and by reporting them it will be dealt with.

However in the past trolls are left unchecked regardless of being reported until a discussion can no longer be had and instead of the post being removed and an infraction being given the thread is locked. Locking a thread is not a solution to trolls, it actually just fills the forums with locked threads and a upset poster that wanted to have a discussion.

I'm not telling a mod how to do their job but I am suggesting that action is taken faster against trolls, I think we would find a lot more discussion and a lot less locked troll threads.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

15+ Year Old Account
    Since our system is based on points, not all infractions lead to bans. Some posts may get infracted but you wouldn't know that because the regular users can't see them.

I also assure you that reports get looked at.

Which forum are you concerned with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently general discussion (On the second page it looks like half of the threads are locked). I sent a PM to a moderator on the general discussion forums and he reassured me that they they are read. I only know an infraction wasn't given because this particular mod edits the trolls post with a "[Infracted]" and my other main concern is that this post aren't really removed and in the past I have seen more trolls pop up because of past trolls even when infracted.

Edit: Just happened to look back and in this case action was taken. However my suggestion about locked threads still does stand.

10+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    Visual moderation is far better than the post just vanishing into thin air. It teaches those around the poster what not to do. If a post is really bad, it will be deleted, but if its just "ops a troll!", its better to edit the post so everyone knows its against the rules. Once again, we view all reports, but ultimately, not everything one reports is going to be worthy of a infraction. People tend to report some rather light posts, which dont deserve a infraction. If you have a issue with a moderators action, or i guess in this case, inaction, please PM Sunshine or Boubouille.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was not an issue with a particular mod More of an issue with how action is taken against trolls. This particular mod just happened to be the one in the wrong place at the wrong time. For the most part I believe that action is taken when due.

My apologies for any trouble.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not all moderators use a mod edit to say they infracted a post and GD has several mods. My only suggestion is to report them as many mods get reports, online or not, alerting them to bad posting.

As for locked topics, it's up to mod discretion. There should be a post explaining why a thread was locked at the end, so look for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses. I will take a look for the reason in the future because I don't think I have taken note of that in the past.

Best regards,

Aeriea

P.S. Have a good night Dark Side and Fuzzzie ^^

Ya know, I've been playing this game for a long time and been on these forums and those similar for just as long. Trolling has always been around, but it never quite seemed to bother players as much as it does now. For it to have gotten to the point where they need to be reported, receive infractions and even in some cases banned, seems to be taking things to a bit of an extreme.

When someone is trolling, they aren't doing much more than using sarcasm and what they find to be funny responses. In which case, there is nothing wrong with that at all. When you are in a group setting having a conversation and someone makes a sarcastic joke, do you find someone in charge and attempt to have them reprimanded for their choice of humor? Usually not.

It reminds me of how the word "creeper" is used all the time now for actions that used to be considered just normal ways of approaching things. So many people are even afraid to talk to childeren now at all for fear of being labeled a pedafile. I think the lines of what is ok, or even more so what is not socially acceptable has been skewed and shifted several pases over the last few years and "trolling" seems to just be another negative label to attach to a perfectly normal interaction. This is even coming from someone who doesn't "troll" and you can look through all of my posts to see that.

Things are simply getting out of hand with who is punished for such silly things as being sarcastic on forums, have a sense of humor that some may not appreciate or "trolling".
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, if you feel that a mod has locked a topic mistakenly, you're welcome to PM them to ask for more information or present a reason why the topic should be reopened. We're human, we make mistakes!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some people take "trolling" too seriously and I'm not really like in love with mods in general but honestly I think they do ya know a good job and stuff here on MMO. Some things are a little unnecessary, but they don't do that too much. Compared to other forums I've been on for other things this is probably the second best one (in terms of moderation and stuff)

I do like to be able to see why a thread is locked and stuff. Not only does it say "hey don't do this" it'll also be something I can feel cool for looking at. Like "omg this is naughty~~!!"

Don't take that above sentence too seriously. Oh oh, and I also like that I can say fuck and not get in trouble, I think.

In practice, we try to lock as few threads as possible. There simply comes a point where any further posts are just way too likely to be off topic, trolling, and otherwise bad posts. We have to decide when the probability of bad posts outweights the potential discussion remaining in a topic, and the results of this decision is evidenced around the forum. We further attempt to delete as few posts/threads as possible, as Dark Side said, unless they are just really awful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Not all moderators use a mod edit to say they infracted a post and GD has several mods.
    This, very much. I know that I usually won't edit posts that receive an infraction, most of the time because the thread is moving so fast that the likelyhood of someone seeing that post is slim. Just because there's no edit on the post doesn't mean we didn't see it and/or do something about it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Maybe the problem is not so much the folks with a sense of humor, but rather the younger posters who feel they have to insult back those that made fun of them?
    Last edited by mmoc4b41585514; 2011-04-01 at 02:43 PM.