Domination on add kiter (H Nef)

The Problem: We are attempting to have our Mage kite the adds in p1 of Heroic Nef as Frost, but he is getting Dominion which is causing him to be killed rather quick.

The Question: I was under the impression (read it somewhere, I have tried to verify this but have come to no conclusion) that the person kiting the adds in p1 could not get Dominate via a hotfix. Is that true? If not (which i assume, since it happened to us repeatedly) is there a way to counter this? Is it that the Mage is just not hitting 1 fast enough to free his mind? (as the Ony tank it is hard for me to see what is going on with this, though i was told he is breaking it in a reasonable amount of time, the adds just seem to be on him as soon as he gets MC'd) Does it have anything to do with positioning?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never seen such a thing happen.

But what you can do instead of bothering that much with the adds is to have the nef tank pick up the adds and have the raid push P2 as fast as possible. This is pretty darn healing intensive though and CD's will be required.

Try promoting him to tank on the raid ui.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Try promoting him to tank on the raid ui.
    Thank you, I will try that for starters. I assume by you saying that, that he should not be getting MC'd right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brosterr View Post
    Thank you, I will try that for starters. I assume by you saying that, that he should not be getting MC'd right?
    Idd, worth a shot. Theres a few boss's that use the raid UI to know whos tanking.

You might look into having a feral druid deal with this task and get support from the mage instead. This way if the kiter gets MCed you have some rooting support that the mage can provide. You can also have your mage be a max dps spec with this configuration. Just a thought hope it helps.

Deleted
    As the first poster said, we found the easiest thing to do was to have the adds picked up by the Onyxia tank (if you dont have tricks or md's then they will aggro a healer anyway so shouldnt be hard to taunt em off). CD rotation from sub 60% of Onyxia's health culminating in using his 50% reduction CD sub 20% makes healing relatively straightforward, lust and burn Ony in p1.

Get a tank to kite those: a dk, warrior or a paladin.
    Feral dps :3
    Bring back ArP rating!

Quote Originally Posted by calibro View Post
    Get a tank to kite those: a dk, warrior or a paladin.
    ..... Clearly this is p1 we are talking about, as stated in the op. And clearly this is a ten man, which is not stated, but should have been obvious.
    So whatever it is you are trying to say.....no.

well, for 10m Nef p1, we have a Frost Dk and Frost Mage in our Raid, so we have the dk would pull all the adds, and then he would use hungering cold. to make the adds frozen for awhile and then after that there would be the mage using Ring of Frost, Cone of cold and Frost nova. By then the adds would have died with all the CC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brosterr View Post
    The Problem: We are attempting to have our Mage kite the adds in p1 of Heroic Nef as Frost, but he is getting Dominion which is causing him to be killed rather quick.

The Question: I was under the impression (read it somewhere, I have tried to verify this but have come to no conclusion) that the person kiting the adds in p1 could not get Dominate via a hotfix. Is that true? If not (which i assume, since it happened to us repeatedly) is there a way to counter this? Is it that the Mage is just not hitting 1 fast enough to free his mind? (as the Ony tank it is hard for me to see what is going on with this, though i was told he is breaking it in a reasonable amount of time, the adds just seem to be on him as soon as he gets MC'd) Does it have anything to do with positioning?
    The person kiting the adds can absolutely get MC'd. We were told that if it was a tanking class in their tanking "stance" (defensive stance, bear, blood presence) that they wouldn't get MC'd. We use a Frost DK as our kiter and even when in blood presence he would get MC'd - there was a hotfix that made it so that people who are MC'd won't lose aggro on the adds, which was the problem we had initially. Even canceling the MC as quick as possible the adds would have a couple seconds where they were out of control but that is no longer the case.

Clearly a DK can take a couple of hits that a mage won't so I see where you are having a problem but I don't believe you'll be able to have your mage do it and not get MC'd. If you have a ranged stun like shadowfury you could try and use that if the mage gets MC'd. If you have a hunter you could have a hunter pet try and do it. I've seen that work before although its not something we did successfully. If you have a feral druid you could have them in dps gear/spec but go bear and tank Nef while your "real" tank kites the adds. Or you could just have your Ony tank pick them up and burst Ony down as fast as you can while rotating CDs on your Ony tank.

Someone suggests making them a tank in the Blizz UI, which would seem a pretty random way for Blizzard to do it but its always worth a shot.

Deleted
    Magician is in normal mode very well, as the damage adds little cause, should in heroic you go possibly on a 3rd tank class, preference would be thereby Druid, should with the appropriate Spec the appropriately folded and besides if he has to geskillt feral already he can refueling for phase 2 and 3 on cat and harm, make so it will be up to the tanks / Nef and add fuel.

....................?

Deleted
    Add a surv hunter, frost dk or w/e class with an aoe cc to the mage(maybe even another mage) that would help him for the last 20 sec of the adds, if mage gets MC, make that backup guy CC the mobs so they can't hurt the mage.

Our mage had problems with kiting too, so we ended up with me kiting (fury warrior) and the mage assisting me with nova/dragon's breath/ring of frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphina View Post
    Magician is in normal mode very well, as the damage adds little cause, should in heroic you go possibly on a 3rd tank class, preference would be thereby Druid, should with the appropriate Spec the appropriately folded and besides if he has to geskillt feral already he can refueling for phase 2 and 3 on cat and harm, make so it will be up to the tanks / Nef and add fuel.
    Google translate?

Deleted
    sure, he can get mc'd- he just has to break it instantly and recover, it can be quite annoying but we never found it too game breaking

that's the question i have been still wondering for weeks. We gave up after add kiter got MCed multiple times (even when we used 2 add kiters). Seems it was hotfixed as #11 mentioned above. Perhap we'll take it a shot after finishing Al'Akir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    Google translate?
    I rofl'd a little. Should have used Bing, right?
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek