Thread: fast HDD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Quite some demands - but I can see where the storage requirement is coming from then.

I never went on a X2000 personally (ask me about planes though) - but train experience is limited to 'Öresundståg' (and a few other of non-importance), which also has some fairly small foldout tables. And no, the current 15'' doesn't fit comfortably there either. I just read in my daily 1.5 hours there and back (to Lund, funnily enough) train rides... glad when that was over...

Routers wreck everything, hence I'm so glad that I the Desktop is directly connected to the Citynet since it means I don't need to deal with that bullshit.
    I have some experience with flying, but not while having a laptop in my possession, so not sure how that would work out.
    I like the Öresundståg, but hey, I don't have much choice as they are basically the only thing passing by here.

The citynet? What is that more thoroughly? ;o Don't think I've heard of it..
    And we should perhaps stop off-topicing this thread. Feel free to PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Routers wreck everything, hence I'm so glad that the Desktop is directly connected to the Citynet since it means I don't need to deal with that bullshit. (you know besides being able to ping everything with ~2ms)
    This is only true with shitty routers. I have my fileserver on 24/7 and I can access my files(ones I specify of course) from most anywhere. I set it up from time to time on my desktop if I leave it on and need to use the horsepower for something, but otherwise it works fine.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    This is only true with shitty routers. I have my fileserver on 24/7 and I can access my files(ones I specify of course) from most anywhere. I set it up from time to time on my desktop if I leave it on and need to use the horsepower for something, but otherwise it works fine.
    Oh naturally; but I mean I prefer not having to deal with the additional overhead and occasional failures that crop up when said router is used heavily. Since my machine is wired to the internet directly (no modem, no router), the only limit is on the actual machine itself and the capacity of the ISPs routers - which are normally many times better than any home routers.

Also makes it easy to spot when their routers actually go down and it isn't because of a fault on my end, because the ARP packets (looking for x.x.x.1) can be detected from 'neighboring' systems.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-04-04 at 05:49 PM.

I solved that problem with one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20110404104938

It's running Gentoo with 4GB RAM, found an 8GB SATA SSD to run it off, with an 80GB standard drive that the webserver I run on it uses, among other things.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    the only limit is on the actual machine itself and the capacity of the ISPs routers - which are normally many times better than any home routers.
    That's because home routers aren't routers. They are gateways with a rudimentary, dumb, routing switch built in.

I solved my VPN woes with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...SA_Server_2006

:3
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    That's because home routers aren't routers. They are gateways with a rudimentary, dumb, routing switch built in.
    Oh I know - but getting into that point just confuses people. Even had such discussions on this forum before.
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    I solved that problem with one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20110404104938
    Hehe, the main machine serves the same purpose for my other devices. But keeping it on constatly naturally meant I had to address its cooling. Processor is completely passively cooled, and GPU is... still something of a WIP.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-04-04 at 06:15 PM.

Yeah, that's not really an option for my comp, as you can tell by looking at it in my Sig. Never was satisfied with home gateways, even with DD-WRT. That and I always like to learn more about linux.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Hehe, the main machine serves the same purpose for my other devices. But keeping it on constatly naturally meant I had to address its cooling. Processor is completely passively cooled, and GPU is... still something of a WIP.
    My ISA is pretty quiet with the stock LGA775 Intel fan. I have the cooling profile set to silent in its BIOS though. E5200's don't get very hot.
    red panda red panda red panda!

In regards to 30GB....

Wow on a fresh install with Cataclysm is just slightly over 20GB..
    Also as far as home routers are concerned... For the most part they are crap but at least they offer DMZ Hosting =-P.
    I have the Crucial 64GB SSD HDD.. I load into windows and into wow at just roughly over 30 seconds in major cities.

Asus G73, i7 Q740, 6B DDR3 , Radeon mobility 5870

Cheers,
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by jnorman2 View Post
    Wow on a fresh install with Cataclysm is just slightly over 20GB..
    http://i.imgur.com/FigVI.jpg !

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    If he meant fresh install, but with cache files deleted. :<

Deleted
    Impressive... Have you might deleted some language files? Can't think of anything else, 15 gb sounds way off tbh

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    If he meant fresh install, but with cache files deleted. :<
    Well, I showed him how it SHOULD look. There's no need to keep the cache; it's nigh useless anyway.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Impressive... Have you might deleted some language files? Can't think of anything else, 15 gb sounds way off tbh
    - =

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    No, just the patch-files. And after the folder reached 16GB (every two weeks or so), I'd delete the cache as well, and it was 14,6-15GB again (my screenshot-folder is huge :x )
    &nbsp;

Well, I showed him how it SHOULD look. There's no need to keep the cache; it's nigh useless anyway.
    Its pretty much only used for the char select screen backgrounds, and the data is almost completely redundant (because instead of going back and consolidating the old data files, Blizzard is laaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy.)