Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You go to sleep and dont wake up

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaKick View Post
    Much of what we take as fact is based upon accounts of individuals witnessing an event. The Bible has been proven to have historical fact and can in that matter be believed by everybody (concerning civilizations, events that took place, people that lived, etc). Although it is a foolish thing to apply to everything, I believe the Bible when it has recordings of individuals claiming to witness a miraculous event that could have only been done by the hand of God. Whether someone were to believe the Bible or not, I'm the type of person to make sure that they know that the events in the Bible did indeed happen, and that the people in the Bible did indeed live. =]
    First of all, I'd like to say I'm not debunking your religion or the bible in any way whatsoever.

I'd love to take all of this as a fact, but the famous quote (?) comes to mind - "History is written by the winner". Although this is not war, it still applies to this topic in some sense of the quote. I have personally thought - since I was a child - that the bible could have merely been a miraculous prank done to the people of the time soon after all of this supposedly took place. I have not been there, so I cannot claim that it's all a lie / it's all true, for I would not believe something until I have witnessed it personally. Many people can simply claim that these were historical facts, but it could simply be one extremely large lie.

Again, I'm not debunking your religion, simply my thoughts on the subject.
    Last edited by mustangzs2; 2011-04-06 at 06:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You die and your loved ones weep over your dead corpse until they realize they need to move on. But in all reality, there's no proof to show that you go to some place in the clouds or some molten prison, so i believe you die and that's it. Your atoms break apart from your body overtime and they're used else where.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangzs2 View Post
    First of all, I'd like to say I'm not debunking your religion or the bible in any way whatsoever.

I'd love to take all of this as a fact, but the famous quote (?) comes to mind - "History is written by the winner". Although this is not war, it still applies to this topic in some sense of the quote. I have personally thought - since I was a child - that the bible could have merely been a miraculous prank done to the people of the time soon after all of this supposedly took place. I have not been there, so I cannot claim that it's all a lie / it's all true, for I would not believe something until I have witnessed it personally. Many people can simply claim that these were historical facts, but it could simply be one extremely large lie.

Again, I'm not debunking your religion, simply my thoughts on the subject.
    No worries, I'm not worried about you bashing my religion. =P We're all mature people having a mature discussion! Anyways, I suppose I can see how you can think that, although it might be a little more difficult for me, considering I live and would die for what I believe, but the same idea - it being a big hoax - could really be applied to any piece of ancient history, if you think about it.

One thing I find rather amazing is that people want / need / have to believe in some sort of afterlife. Such a strange thing to be so fearful of something that IS going to get you, no matter what. Besides, why does there have to be an afterlife? There certanly wasn't a before life. Theres one thing to remember about life, no one makes it out alive. =P

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaKick View Post
    Much of what we take as fact is based upon accounts of individuals witnessing an event. The Bible has been proven to have historical fact and can in that matter be believed by everybody (concerning civilizations, events that took place, people that lived, etc). Although it is a foolish thing to apply to everything, I believe the Bible when it has recordings of individuals claiming to witness a miraculous event that could have only been done by the hand of God. Whether someone were to believe the Bible or not, I'm the type of person to make sure that they know that the events in the Bible did indeed happen, and that the people in the Bible did indeed live. =]
    Wrong. The bible has never been proven to have any historical fact. I would go on, but it would be pointless. There is no flame war here. But, just like someone said earlier, don't come on here stating things as fact that are not. This isn't a religious discussion, it's a discussion on what people believe happens after they die. Don't be afraid, it's a natural thing. Just like life.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

I know what happens when you die, you decay like all other organic matter. It's well documented and observable

reincarnation ... it's a fact. Your body gets reused for other things, plants, animals and maybe even other people.

As for your mind, your 'sense of self' - that has nowhere to go. After you do, you are aware of nothing in the sense that you are aware of yourself now.

Even a belief in God doesn't change that ... the context you live in now would change one you die...

To put it in computer terms - what happened to my copy of Windows XP when I moved to Windows 7 ?

I'm one of those who believe that people come up with a conscious or otherwise comforting after-life because it's simply impossible for the human mind to imagine a complete nothingness. That your mind just ceases to exist. I've never even been able to really die in a dream, as in, can't lose all consciousness. I always either wake up or just get stuck in the act of getting a fatal hit.

Sure, my body gets recycled but that's not something that gives any comfort. I shed bits of me like hair, skin cells, blood all the time and that hasn't made me any more part of the universe than I already am - my conscious mind isn't there, and it will never be a part of a tree in the form of carbon atoms.

Sometimes I get terrified (especially when I think of whether I'll ever be able to accept death and no be afraid of it) and wish I could bring myself to believe in religions. That would be an easy solution but I just can't make myself believe in something like that. (edit: even if it would be logical to think "it's not like there's anything to lose by believing that stuff"). It's also really depressing to think how meaningless your individual life really is. It's so short, and you don't even get to see what happens in the long run with the world you lived in.
    Last edited by Ibis; 2011-04-06 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    reincarnation ... it's a fact. Your body gets reused for other things, plants, animals and maybe even other people.

As for your mind, your 'sense of self' - that has nowhere to go. After you do, you are aware of nothing in the sense that you are aware of yourself now.

Even a belief in God doesn't change that ... the context you live in now would change one you die...

To put it in computer terms - what happened to my copy of Windows XP when I moved to Windows 7 ?
    You misunderstand the definition of the word reincarnation. Your nutrients are used to feed and nourish other life forms, you do not come back to life as something else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Wrong. The bible has never been proven to have any historical fact. Don't come on here stating things as fact that are not.
    Hypocrite? Anyways, I was only just adding my two cents. I had no intentions of coming here starting a religious fight, but if I see something that I sincerely believe is incorrect, I will address that issue and correct it in the nicest way possible. No need to be rude. /end

Become frozen either a) cryogenically or b) carbonite. Collect all 7 dragon balls and make a wish for immortality. Completely replace every body part and become a android... or cyborg. You could become RoboCop!

Side note - Whenever or if you've ever had those nightmares where you die; you get that cold sensation, pitch black, maybe feel like you're dead. Probably close to it. But then The Crow starts and you come back with vengeance and start blowing shit up.

OT: Dunno... yet.
    You must remain drunk in order to be more vigilant against reality.

instead of about what we "think" happens we put in what we know happens in this case decomposing into food for other creatures to devour.The whole consciousness part that humans experience i created by the brain,no brain =no consciousness.You simply cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    You misunderstand the definition of the word reincarnation. Your nutrients are used to feed and nourish other life forms, you do not come back to life as something else.
    Reincarnation is literally about 'BODY'... thus the root of the word which is from Latin, now prefix carn-, flesh. For example Carnage.

I believe nothing happens, we 'return' to where we were before we were born...so I guess we've all already experienced inexistance, so to speak, and its a kind of creepy thought. It really isn't all that much different from sleeping, and there really isn't much to fear.

To me though I think I'd prefer nothing over heaven and of course hell, though I don't believe in either. To exist for eternity bothers the hell out of me, regardless of what the circumstances are.

Of course, no one knows everything, for every one thing I do know there a hundred trillion things I don't know....anything is possible. For all I know aliens 10 billion lightyears away have a time machine and can go back in time and bring us all back to life a million years from now. Who knows.

Deleted
    I believe what will happen is absolutley nothing. I dont believe in god or something else and it's a frightning thought, but if you think logicly and with reason we are just life and we are meant to reproduce our population nothing more really.

Deleted
    Yeah.. the most popular and probably most true.. is that you just die.. cease to exist..
    But.. here is another thought i have.. just came up with it :P .. our brain basically is electricity/magnetic waves.. n sht .. and that is probably also our "soul" .. our being .. maybe after we die.. it floats away.. and you may be born in another body.. but.. you do not remember a thing.. about your previous life. That.. is basically my comfort

Deleted
    I believe it like this:

WHERE'S MY RESS LOL N00B PRIEST.

Exclamation

Foolish, oh, so foolish forum members...

Isn't it obvious? You are all going to turn into the Forsakens!

PRAISE SYLVANAS!