Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A possible better solution to Call-To-Arms

Applaud Blizz for hearing the dps qqing about long queue times and trying to do something about it. For me personally, the reward isn't big enough to make me go out of my way to queue up more then once for my 70 valor but I am not a big pet or mount person. If blizz is willing to add rewards to the system to motivate then I think a better way to encourage tanks or heals to queue is a feat of strength title/mount reward. As a general perk, have the bag drop 20 valor tokens instead of consumables like flasks and gems. One of the real issues is that justice points are useless so if you make them

Title: I am a good little helper

Queue and complete 100 Cataclysm heroic dungeons while under the Call-To-Arms buff.
    Reward: Some kind of Pet

Title: I am doing this for you. Not me

Queue and complete 250 Cataclysm heroic dungeons while under the Call-To-Arms buff.
    Reward: Some really cool mount.

15+ Year Old Account
    DPS will never get the Call to Arms. That is why they are making the rewards non-exclusive. Exclusive rewards would cause an uproar with the DPS classes, potentially leading Blizz to add a "dps" call to arms, which defeats the whole purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post
    DPS will never get the Call to Arms. That is why they are making the rewards non-exclusive. Exclusive rewards would cause an uproar with the DPS classes, potentially leading Blizz to add a "dps" call to arms, which defeats the whole purpose.
    agreed. I like the idea in general, but given that DPS are already in an uproar over things they can get anyway ("why do they get rewards for playing and i don't?!?!" - they tend to ignore that they can get the same rewards by going to farm them using another method), they would explode if tanks (and to a lesser extent, heals) were given unique rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't really offer substantial rewards. As it is now the system is set up to favor tanks, so any pet, title or mount would be quite unfair.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Well then we are screwed, we can't offer tanks a perk that would make the time and possible pain worth it because the people who the fix was designed to help will complain that they can't get the same perks while still lowering queue times? My head hurts. This really just shows that Blizz will never be able to win. They are basically trying to hire out tanks for the dps and yet the dps will complain if the tanks want a guaranteed thing for the time put in. RNG is not a good way to reward as those who been farming the mounts still may never see them with the Call-To-Arms. The title and mount are no different then the current solution. It just makes it less RNG based.

people scream and bitch about long queues.....Blizz offers a solution....people scream and bitch about the solution

The common demoninator?

People just like to scream and bitch....its really getting so old...most people have not a clue what they want.

The "community" will never be happy with anything blizzard does.

If they go too far and reward tanks and healers too much like a title and unique mount, everyone will complain about how blizz only plays tanks, and they play favorites blah blah blah.

If they don't go far enough, it won't make enough of an impact to actually reduce Queue times and everyone will complain how useless blizzard is they can't fix it blah blah blah

Really the only option they have is a balanced option and try to ignore those who will complain regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as a tank I would be more interested & more willing to que if they gave tanks zero loss of durability while in random heroics. I don't die that often but when I do its usually because the dps did something idiotic that wiped the group.

Increased point rewards for tanks would also help, As would giving the tank less wait time for a reque in case he/she winds up in a group of idiots & just wants to leave & reque.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Speaking as a tank I would be more interested & more willing to que if they gave tanks zero loss of durability while in random heroics. I don't die that often but when I do its usually because the dps did something idiotic that wiped the group.

Increased point rewards for tanks would also help, As would giving the tank less wait time for a reque in case he/she winds up in a group of idiots & just wants to leave & reque.
    In defense of dps, I've paid my share of gold in repairs after wipes caused by idiotic tanks. Also healers. I think Blizzard is looking to entice people to queue as tanks and heals to help the dps with their wait times, not to reward them for being the "best people in the game."
    I definitely agree with increased point rewards though. I think that would be the most balanced and fair. Giving them the opportuniy to get mounts which other people need to farm for is a little excessive imo.

By point rewards that you guys are talking about, is that Valor Points??? They stated they did NOT want to do this because after a tank gets all their VP rewards (geared to the teeth) why would they want to come back and do more heroics?

Deleted
    There are two types of rewards that Blizzard wants to avoid, one is rewards that cap out at a set point (ie: Valor, most geared tanks don't need or care about it anymore) or exclusive rewards that cannot be obtained in some other way. Any mounts offered would need to also be obtainable by DPSers in some way other than Call to Arms. The way they have it right now is pretty much as good as it can get, it gives good tanks incentive to run 5 mans a lot more without really encouraging DPS/heals who have no idea how to tank to que up as a tank.

When this is gooing live we'll see TONS of bad tanks and healer that just wanted loot, then once they all get the items it'll eventually stops. This feels like a band-aid solution and god knows band-aids never stick forever (or else they wouldn't sell :P)
    Last edited by Nitz; 2011-04-07 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Nitz View Post
    When this is gooing live we'll see TONS of bad tanks and healer that just wanted loot, then once they all get the items it'll eventually stops. This feels like a band-aid solution and god knows band-aids never stick forever (or else they wouldn't sell :P)
    Yah, once they run 500 random heroics solo if they're lucky and get all them items... sure...

Call To Arms is gonna fail...

What do you think is more likely to happen?

A tank will queue solo for CTA rewards.

or

More DPS will queue under the assumption that queue times are lower, thus negating the lowered queue times...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junlee View Post

or

More DPS will queue under the assumption that queue times are lower, thus negating the lowered queue times...
    I was thinking the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wonderd if it wasn't possible to add another DPS slot in a dungeon. I've seen other games run with more then 5 players per dungeon so why not do the same here? Sure this game isn't balanced around having 4 DPS in a group, but that can be tweaked. I do think it's sad we don't have any real hybrids anymore to fill that slot (aka debuffer/buffer/offhealer/offtank etc) so the only thing I can come up with is to add another DPS slot.

~copy pasta since mine got closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Junlee View Post

or

You'll still be able to see the estimated queue time. There are no assumptions to be made. If more dps queue and the queue times do not go down, that means that more groups are being formed which is beneficial in itself. Plus, DPS who need heroics queue regardless of the queue time. There comes a point when dps need only queue once per day for their valor, removing them from the potential dps queue pool, but tanks who want the rewards can queue multiple times per day in order to get multiple bags. There is no reason for a dps to queue for heroic more than once per day unless they need gear or rep, and those people already queue regardless. There are no downsides to CTA, aside from an increase in incompetent tanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitz View Post
    A.k.a. the worthless and horrible dpsers that plagued the tanks and healers in the dungeon finder decides to reroll tank so finally we can get some decent dpsers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    people scream and bitch about long queues.....Blizz offers a solution....people scream and bitch about the solution

The common demoninator?

People just like to scream and bitch....its really getting so old...most people have not a clue what they want.
    people wouldnt scream and bitch if this was a a solution that would work. This is not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by Glasse View Post
    people wouldnt scream and bitch if this was a a solution that would work. This is not going to work
    Reasons? I'm sure you have some infinite wisdom to impart on us?