Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW UI compared to RIFT UI

I do realize that RIFT has gotten many of their ideas from WoW the most successful MMORPG in the market still to this day. But I wonder if Blizzard has anything in store to make their UI a lot more customizable like RIFT. Now I am not a WoW hater. I have been playing since Vanilla and still love the game to this day. I have had my fair share of burnouts and taken long breaks. Longest was about a year. I did try RIFT,but ultimately my computer couldn't handle it as well as I had hoped. My most favorite thing from RIFT was how customizable the UI was. I mean I wouldn't even begin to be able to think of addons you would need. RIFT has all the things you need.

I hope one day Blizzard makes a UI as customizable as RIFT. I also hope they get rid of the clunky UI with the Gryphons, or whatever on each side and make it more customizable/plain and more sharp looking so to speak like RIFT. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about that! And what their ideas for a new UI for WoW would be realistically! Not something where you have every addon you need all in one UI! Much more difficult than what people might think it is adding in all that! Thank you in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    :O Noes, don't remove the sexy wings side from my main actionbar

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Didn't think that many people liked that. Idk maybe it is just me. But they could always keep that as an option for the look of your UI. Stick to the basic, but add to it as well! Always ideas to bring to the table!

Blizzard said in the last Q&A about their UI that they were making it significantly more customizable, as early as 4.2.

Personally, the Rift UI looks more like the LOTRO UI in many ways. And you can customize the UI in LOTRO about as well as you can in Rift. I agree that it would be nice to have more customization. But apparently, in 4.1 or 4.2, you will be able to move around the unit frames like you can the focus frame. Which removes the functionality of a lot of addons that did that with the default unit frames.

Seriously? I hope Rift makes their UI as customizable as WoW's. The lack of any Addons is Killing it's customization. There are several server limitations in the default UI of both games, Primarily a buttons inability to understand a State Change from a Modifier Key (I want the button to change when I hit Shift and or Ctrl). And I know I can, But I don't want to make and maintain Macro's for all my key-bindings.

I just download MoveAnything and I'm fine with WoW's UI

wow is the most customizable UI out there, in most peoples eyes. im not sure were u got the idea that wow needs to be like rift, you probly dont know what addons are. for most of us out there, the lack of addons is what holds us back from going to different videogames, after being pampered by wow's customizable ui.=)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

i havent played rift but i am really shocked that wow hasnt improved theirs one bit. two things would make wow ui significantly better: movable action bars and a much simpler keybind method.
    and of course the dragon wings have to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://spartanui.com/ is by far my favorite UI ever, because it removes all clutter on screen. <3
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

I see people mentioning addons. Those aren't WoW's UI, those are UIs other people made. The only thing Blizzard did was allow them to make their own UIs. Credit where it's due though and a clap on the shoulder to Blizzard to making it possible.

Deleted
    RIFT has cloned the WOW-UI perfect. RIFT has copied nearly every good feature of the WOW-UI.
    And really, the UI is the least Blizz should care about - the UI is nearly perfect. They should fix this damn boring casualcontent instead

Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    I see people mentioning addons. Those aren't WoW's UI, those are UIs other people made. The only thing Blizzard did was allow them to make their own UIs. Credit where it's due though and a clap on the shoulder to Blizzard to making it possible.
    Thing of it is, if you have the Option of Add-ons then the base UI is largely Immaterial, I haven't seen the default UI in 4 years, nor do I have any reason to. Rift doesn't have the option nor will they ever from current indications.

I don't care what the base UI is like unless it's my ONLY option...

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am positive I know what addons are. I don't care about addons and that was the point. I want to be able to play an MMO and not have to download a bunch of crap. I realize RIFT has its own flaws in its UI, with the whole not having any addons, but I was comparing it to how versatile and customizable their UI was compared to WoW. Also I did not play LOTRO sadly never gave it a shot xD. So I had no idea what their UI looked like. Personally I use LUI, but sometimes I get a little frustrated with dealing with all the addons and everything. Was just bringing up a point really. Blizzard created the most popular MMORPG and yet to this day haven't made HUGE IMPACT changes to the basic UI. It is vastly still the same with some things changed around and such.

Customisation is rather a can of worms.
    Each person will have different ideas as to what is or is not a necessary feature in their opinion so really blizzard cannot hope to cater to all of them with the default UI nor could the options in Rift.
    Instead blizzard were brave enough to open it up through addons to give a huge amount of choice, even if less accessible to the average user it offers considerable more control than any in-game options could achieve.
    With Rift you are stuck with limited options.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelfie View Post
    http://spartanui.com/ is by far my favorite UI ever, because it removes all clutter on screen. <3
    ahhhhhh! why do people like that UI!?!? "removes all the clutter" for what? a Giant stone slab of cluttered crap! Sure the idea is there, but it could be way more streamlined.

Took two pictures of each games default UI.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is not a great picture of RIFT's Default UI....You can move all the user frames...You can move way more than what you depicted in the screenshot.

If I'm right everything in wow can be moved and resized, you just need to know the correct commands, I'm pretty sure this is possible since I remember hearing about during a MLG arena match.

(In MLG arena matches you can only using the standard ui, so most of them know the commands to allow you to move things)

I may be wrong about this though
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Quote Originally Posted by Cr3aT1v3F3aR View Post
    That is not a great picture of RIFT's Default UI....You can move all the user frames...You can move way more than what you depicted in the screenshot.
    That is default, if you customize it... then it is no longer default, it is then customized to how YOU want it to be.