Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You're going to have to wait for Guild Wars 2 if you want seperate Pve/PvP balance. They seem to be the only developers that seem to get things right in terms of balance.

Its good for both parties, because you can nerf for PvP and not have any kickbacks for PVE, making balance much more close.

Pve Players remain happy, everyone wins.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    Both WoW and Rift won't do it, its not in their nature to do something so easy and simply. Guild Wars has a similar skill setup to what you mention, where abilities act differently in PvE compared to PvP (Not all skills).
    In my head that system sounds awesome, so I can't really see any reason as to why they won't do that, but then again, I've never made a game myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerain View Post
    In my head that system sounds awesome, so I can't really see any reason as to why they won't do that, but then again, I've never made a game myself.
    Best ask Blizzard really, why can a F2P MMO give their community so much more, than a P2P. Seems P2P care alot less aslong as they get the money each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Then I guess you will hate Rift, they've nerfed for PVP only for quite some time now.

Rangers in the game were pretty much nerfed, really hard for PvP.
    Warriors got nerfed for PvP.
    Sabotuer nerfs, for PvP.

BArd/Chloro healing, also nerfed for PvP.
    all wrong.

bard/chloro are still amazing and they were nerfed cuz there was no reason to bring more than one per raid so they reduced the effective of their heals, for pve.
    marksmen is what you're looking for, they had excellent pve dps and were nerfed for pve and subsequently screwed for pvp.
    ranger was never ideal for pvp.
    warriors stun was nerfed yes, from 5 to 3 seconds. everything else was nerfed due to them pulling ridiculous pve damage. 1500-1700's if i recall in 1.0. they weren't entirely gutted. vks are less useful. the only riftblades complaining are the ones who did nothing but spam flamespear. it was a ridiculous move doing more damage than rangers.
    saboteur was nerfed for pve. charge booster provided too much damage and in pvp they did LESS damage than pyros. the only difference between pyro and sab (besides lol9k crits) is pyro does shit damage in pve.

both warrior and sabo were hit hard by a bug fix, not a nerf, and that was their armor penetration talents giving nearly full armor penetration rather than what they said they did. champion still plays the same. we still do premade queues with champions.
    Last edited by taco avenger; 2011-04-12 at 11:42 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Know what, I'll probably buy rift as soon as I get my cash in a couple of days, all I'm "afraid" of is that I heard you can attack villages on PvE servers and kill all NPC's 'cause there aint no guards?

Is there a long respawn on the NPC's?

respawn is nearly instant. never more than 30 seconds. npcs attack those villages more than players usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    I'm looking for a new MMO and I've played in rift beta and it was ok.. However I didn't go to hard in it because I didn't want to progress too far and then lose it all at the end of the beta from what I played I liked it but found it hard to understand. Giving that I also found WoW hard to understand when I first started a long time ago. So I'm wondering a few things that I didn't get to find out from beta.

1. What's the level cap? (Basic question)

2. Do the rift events get more unique at higher levels?

3. Are there things to do outside of raiding? (excluding rifts)

4. Is the community good or is it that similar crowd to WoW?

5. Are classes engaging and/or difficult to learn and is there SET specs that you must go to succeed? (Example: Am I going to get refused from groups if I want to play a certain spec because I enjoy it but it does less damage?)

6. Does the game have more compelling lore then WoW?

7. Are classes as unique as they are low level at high level?

8. Is there anything similar to Auction House?

9. How interactive is the game as a whole? Is the world 'Alive'?

and finally 10. What would you give the game on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Shit house, 10 being Magnificent.

Honest opinions of rift players only plz

Oh and for those wondering if ima still play wow.. Read sig achieve.

Lvl 50. YES! to all except lore. Definite yes to classes being unique and hard to learn. Within each class there is A LOT to learn.

World alive? When is the last time you were in South Shore and a raid boss spawned? While killing that raid boss with 30 other random people you have never met, 30 Horde pop up and what to kill the same boss! This time a think happens all over the place.

I rate a 9. Good game always something to do. better than WoW in its current state.l

Deleted
    Short answer is; Go ahead, if you really want to get away from WoW.

It's not THAT different, but it is different enough to be a different game per se.

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    all wrong.

bard/chloro are still amazing and they were nerfed cuz there was no reason to bring more than one per raid so they reduced the effective of their heals, for pve.
    marksmen is what you're looking for, they had excellent pve dps and were nerfed for pve and subsequently screwed for pvp.
    ranger was never ideal for pvp.
    warriors stun was nerfed yes, from 5 to 3 seconds. everything else was nerfed due to them pulling ridiculous pve damage. 1500-1700's if i recall in 1.0. they weren't entirely gutted. vks are less useful. the only riftblades complaining are the ones who did nothing but spam flamespear. it was a ridiculous move doing more damage than rangers.
    saboteur was nerfed for pve. charge booster provided too much damage and in pvp they did LESS damage than pyros. the only difference between pyro and sab (besides lol9k crits) is pyro does shit damage in pve.

both warrior and sabo were hit hard by a bug fix, not a nerf, and that was their armor penetration talents giving nearly full armor penetration rather than what they said they did. champion still plays the same. we still do premade queues with champions.
    Right, none of those nerfs were not directed at PvP at all.

Is there a long respawn on the NPC's?
    No, not at all. NPC's Respawn within 15-30 seconds, even when killed by players.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Right, none of those nerfs were not directed at PvP at all.

No, not at all. NPC's Respawn within 15-30 seconds, even when killed by players.
    That's effing awesome, then I couldn't care less if there are guards or not, the only bad part is if players with no life stands in a camp for a whole day... Though that probably won't happen

did u play pyro pre-1.1? i did. u know it was more ridiculous then vs now? the damage buff was small. ground of strength used to be ridiculous. we were still one-shotting with fulminates and more or less walking tab turrets. most mages were just confused trying to play other specs that didn't work.

so tell me, outside vk nerf what was directed right at pvp? most of what u think was a pvp nerf was nerfed because it was too good in pve. if they nerfed sabs cuz of their damage then why is my pyro untouched? did u know that charges can be dispelled? so a sabo could unload 5-6 charges on a person, detonate, and do 500 damage. that's a loooong setup only to get screwed in the end. then if they manage to land them all? one fireball = one prenerf detonate and only 1/3 the time. sab was a hard hitter but they were a joke if ur healer knew how to press dispel and they're not exactly pyros.

honestly if pyro was nerfed i think it's 100% justified cuz its ezmode right now, but they BUFFED us. ALL the sabo complaints also came before ppl even had prestige gear. i crit for 7-8k on full rank 6 ppl.
    Last edited by taco avenger; 2011-04-12 at 12:23 PM.

I played Rift for a month, level 50 cleric and rogue.
    My opinions don't cover PvP. Since I feel that PvP in mmorpg's just ruin the rest of the game. It one or the other, you can't have both with out both suffering, or you would have to totally sepereate them.

2. Do the rift events get more unique at higher levels?
    There are maybe 2-5 different types of rift for each element, more are unlocked as you level into the higher tiers. But its gets old quick, just like dungeons in WoW.

3. Are there things to do outside of raiding? (excluding rifts)
    Same as WoW... do dailies, gather mats. There are no alternate advancement, so nothing new.

4. Is the community good or is it that similar crowd to WoW?
    Before open beta it was a great community. At the end of my time in Rift I didnt't really care much for the community. There were so many idiots turning the forums and any public chat channel into a derpfest (much like.. well you know). It was only in the middle of the night, where the hardcore players were bored and hang out in the global channel, that there were anything interesting going on.

5. Are classes engaging and/or difficult to learn and is there SET specs that you must go to succeed? (Example: Am I going to get refused from groups if I want to play a certain spec because I enjoy it but it does less damage?)
    I found Rift to be more open about this. I could join anything as any spec more or less. Specs are easy to learn and there are some cookiecutting, but much less than in WoW.

6. Does the game have more compelling lore then WoW?
    The lore is somewhat interesting, but it's new and not as deep as WoW.

7. Are classes as unique as they are low level at high level?

Almost all classes get a few signature things at low level, at high level I found it to be much the same. There really just are four classes. Some specs feel very different, but they usually have similar mechanics depending on the base class.

8. Is there anything similar to Auction House?
    Yes there are an aution house. It was very simple at release, I hope it will get better. As with the guild banks (have they been added yet?)

9. How interactive is the game as a whole? Is the world 'Alive'?
    Standard mmorpg "alive". So no, it is just as static as WoW. At the start I felt like the random zone events and invasions was making it a little more interesing, but after a while it just got annoying. I found myself going afk if my quest camp was invaded.

and finally 10. What would you give the game on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Shit house, 10 being Magnificent.
    I give it around 6 or 7. I would give WoW 6 or 7 too. But for different reasons.
    Trion has some great ideas and they are very professional, its first developer that has proved they can handle an mmorpg since Blizzard (im thinking only the classic wow, eq, war, aoc style mmorpgs). With that said, I mean that I have played a ton of mmorpg's through the last 4-5 years. All have failed, much because the company behind them was either total chaos, ran out of money or time or just simply failed at doing anything right.

Honestly I like Rift. It is a good mmorpg and it has a lot of potential. Trion has some great values and they are good at what they do. But it's still the same old. personally I am tired of this particular type of mmo.
    I think Rift still suffers from a little bit from being newborn, but aside small funky bugs and some balance issues it coming along just fine.

If you are still hooked on the type of mmo that WoW is based on, you should try out Rift. It can't hurt and it might be interesting, even if its just for a week or two.
    Last edited by Xadion; 2011-04-12 at 12:27 PM.
    Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind. They are, in all fairness, subjective.
    I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning and adapting. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerain View Post
    t I heard you can attack villages on PvE servers and kill all NPC's 'cause there aint no guards?
    No, that's on PvP shards, all the little GI Joes whined and poop pooped in their nappies because when they "bravely" attacked a low level quest hub the level 52 guards roflstomped them, so they whined that "World PvP" was dead, Trion made it so on PvP shards, the guards aren't very strong..

Poor little Johnny solo hero tries that though on a PvE shard and he will get roflstomped by the guards....so..PvP..guards are weak, PvE shards, guards will tear you a new one

After some thought and a large pay check coming through I decided to buy rift. Thanks to all those who gave their opinion I'll be back here soon to tell you guys what I think. In the meantime.... Any good server suggestions... Got an hour to go on download since I just started it so I'm open for any and all server suggestions till I am able to start playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    After some thought and a large pay check coming through I decided to buy rift. Thanks to all those who gave their opinion I'll be back here soon to tell you guys what I think. In the meantime.... Any good server suggestions... Got an hour to go on download since I just started it so I'm open for any and all server suggestions till I am able to start playing.
    Pick a high pop server, can't suggest names since no idea if US or EU, or if you want PvE/PvP.

Just pick a high pop one and you'll be fine, ignore the spam from the people who hate on Rift and all is good.

Ok to be more specific. NR servers, Pref - PvP

I ignore all hate for games. I judged the basics of it for myself and got some opinions on the end game. From what I can tell it's similar to wow but overall better with things to to between raids.

The whole world events gimmick reminds me a lot of Horizon's which was AWFUL. One of the worst MMO's i've ever played, with the worst focused Developers i've ever had to play a game under. It was the biggest joke gimmick that some people i don't know why, were real into thinking it was fun to have to work as a team to mine or kill off waves of bad guys. Honestly it was just dumb. I never got it, still don't get why/how game designers or even gamers think thats fun, especially when it seems to me they focused over forced community socialization more than the act and play of their games actually being enjoyable. The way they forced even trade skill weapon making and such to go thru so many other people was silly, and all loot were trade skill ingredients pretty much. There are just some game designers that IMO lose focus on making fun games more than social world experiments and from everything i've read of Rift it sounds a lot like the same type of people. I hope i'm wrong since Blizzard needs some decent competition but all things i'm reading/hearing i don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    Best ask Blizzard really, why can a F2P MMO give their community so much more, than a P2P. Seems P2P care alot less aslong as they get the money each month.
    Guild Wars does one thing right (separating PvP and PvE abilities), and I wouldn't exactly call that "giving their community so much more" than Blizzard does. I do believe it is a mistake for WoW to not just split PvE and PvP apart, in terms of abilities, but I'm willing to overlook that considering how much better the game is than Guild Wars in virtually every other way.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

Deleted
    rift replaced wow for me after 6years of wowplay.
    where wow ends rift continues
    so many classes ,so many talentscombinations , so many world pvp , the looks are 10times better grapichwise etc

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughriot View Post
    Guild Wars does one thing right (separating PvP and PvE abilities), and I wouldn't exactly call that "giving their community so much more" than Blizzard does. I do believe it is a mistake for WoW to not just split PvE and PvP apart, in terms of abilities, but I'm willing to overlook that considering how much better the game is than Guild Wars in virtually every other way.
    Well I don't want to start a GW vs WoW debate, but GW and WoW are kinda different genre's of MMO's themselves, they both focus on different aspect of MMO's, WoW for PvE end game raiding. GW more 8 player group PvE and Guild v Guild.

They both have there ups and downs, but I believe Anet listens to their customers alot more than Blizzard.