Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Refreshing Pyroblast

Has anyone thought about keeping their pyroblast dot rolling? Obviously this would only ever be viable on fights where you couldn't run oom (example: Maloriak, Chimaeron, etc). I haven't tried it myself, because I haven't had the chance to (the idea just came to mind). But I was wondering if the MMO-Champ community knows anything about this.

Thanks, Frostea.
    d=(^_^)z

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the damage per cast time of Fireball outweighs the damage per cast time plus DoT of Pyroblast.
    Maybe this will change when you can hit a reasonable amount of haste in a later raiding tier.
    It MIGHT (big maybe here, though) be viable with Glyph of Pyroblast over Living Bomb, but I still think it'll equal a significant dps loss.
    I don't play a fire mage as my main (I do have one maxed, and do well), so I'm not at the point of running sims.
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

hardcasting pyro isnt worth it, its a dps loss in the vast majority of regular situations

i only hardcast it while the tank is pulling

the only time i can really think of it being worth it is if you have a haste effect that greatly drops your pyro cast time, like Cookie buffstacks in H DM
    (or if you have heroism while you are "Upwind of Altarius" in H VP - not even sure of that one)
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-04-12 at 02:17 PM.

I don´t refresh it by hard casting it but its pretty much always up because of hot streak though

Quote Originally Posted by Megakebabz View Post
    I don´t refresh it by hard casting it but its pretty much always up because of hot streak though

WTB your RNG.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    WTB your RNG.
    Signed and agreed

Deleted
    I think they did some theory crafting on that at EJ, it simmed out to be a slight dps increase if you were able to do it perfectly with the down side of the long cast times ==> You cannot move for a long time.

Therefor you run the risk of interupted casts of pyro which quickly turns into a DPS loss...

IIRC, not worth the hassle/risk.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    WTB your RNG.
    A hotstreak every 12 seconds *whoooot* I go minutes, nay fights without hotstreaks
    Last edited by mmoc980c3dc910; 2011-04-12 at 03:02 PM. Reason: WTB your RNG *amen*

Dont think its worth hardcasting... MAY be later with much higher haste... But then again, when you get to those lvl of haste you probably have enough crit to get HS on a regular basis...

Also - if you currently always have HS up before pyro dot runs out.... WTB your RNG

Quote Originally Posted by Omegasupreme View Post
    Dont think its worth hardcasting... MAY be later with much higher haste... But then again, when you get to those lvl of haste you probably have enough crit to get HS on a regular basis...

Also - if you currently always have HS up before pyro dot runs out.... WTB your RNG
    Lol, I'd do shameful things to a GM if he could keep my HS proccing more than once a minute.

Back to the original topic, it's not worth it. Even hardcasting at the beginning of the fight is asking for trouble unless you can perfectly time it so that it hits right after the tank's first melee swing. Currently the EJ fire mage thread is working out the numbers, but they've come up with the same conclusion.

Even on AoE fights, such as Maloriak, I found that my DPS would increase more if I spammed flamestrike rather than hardcast pyroblast and spread via impact.

Deleted
    How!? How on Earth!?

alrighty, thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback.
    d=(^_^)z

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t110326-...7/#post1908715

This question was asked in the firemage compendium (link above) the next 2 posts confirm it to be a dps loss. and the last post shows the correct way to simc it.

things may change with gear lvls however.

Kinda off topic, but its about hard casting Pyroblast. Sometimes, the gods of RNG just hates me (doesn't it hate us all) and I'm here sitting on my Volcano proc, waiting for Pyro! to show up to combo it with my Combustion. I feel like I'm wasting dps here because I'm holding off my Combustion. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Prod View Post
    Kinda off topic, but its about hard casting Pyroblast. Sometimes, the gods of RNG just hates me (doesn't it hate us all) and I'm here sitting on my Volcano proc, waiting for Pyro! to show up to combo it with my Combustion. I feel like I'm wasting dps here because I'm holding off my Combustion. What do you guys think?
    If you have to hardcast your pyro, most of your ignite "bank" will empty out during that time.
    Either wait for a proc, or if you have a nice fat ignite up and running, just throw the combustion...

Hardcasting is never the answer (at least in my book)
    Last edited by Omegasupreme; 2011-04-13 at 09:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prod View Post
    The pyro dot only makes up like 500 of your combustion ticks, yes its somewhere near to 10% however if you are at that stage where you want to Impact-combustion of you simply know you have a huge ignite up... the likes of which you rarely see... Simply combustion it... The Pyro DOT is negligable compared to the ignite portion

NOTE: Offcourse no matter what you should always have LB up.

Ok thanks. I wasn't worried about Impact-Combustion since I already do that right away for adds/trash. I was more worried about single-target (bosses) where I usually wait for a crit Pyroblast so that the ignite portion is larger as well.

It's more "problematic" at the start when all your procs line up because when you wait to long (for the pyro which may not crit), you may miss the window while all the cds are up which is a dps loss.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Something must be wrong, i think you may *puts on sunglasses* ...broke the game YEEEEEAH!!!
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

You are a liar.

Straight up.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have raw critchanse and have 3-6 HS procs on argalot fight.
    chinese gods of RNG hates me =(

but precasting pyro before pull is a good thing. Our tank always wait for me.
    And on Hymeron when we have a whelps, i prefer hardcast pyro 1-2 times with filled fireballs, then BW, combostion, impact spreed.

Hardcasting is not a bad thing i most cases
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2011-04-14 at 02:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.