Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Cataclysm Gem Vendor Prices

It's data mined stuff, but lowering that low will crash the market. Obsidium's new floor price will 4.5g; down from 54 . This could be one of the biggest economic changes to wow if Blizzard decides to go through with it. What do you guys think?

Jewelcrafting
    " Bold Carnelian, Solid Zephyrite, Subtle Alicite, Perfect Quick Alicite, Sovereign Nightstone, Regal Jasper, Resolute Hessonite, and any cut of uncommon gem now sells to NPC for 75 silver instead of 9 gold. " - MMO-Champion's Front Page

Read more about it here: http://www.justmytwocopper.org/2011/...em-vendor.html

Oh, hey mageshadow. I didn't know you posted here, too.

I hope it's a bug. I really hope that it's a bug. If not, I'll be spending a lot of time cutting all my green gems before the patch hits...

Deleted
    Yeah, I can see the price of Obsidium Ore crashing aswell.

Not sure how BS / Engi's might be able to use cheaper ore to turn a profit (esp BS + DE'ing), but for JC's it's not going to be worth prospecting anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamado View Post
    Oh, hey mageshadow. I didn't know you posted here, too.

I hope it's a bug. I really hope that it's a bug. If not, I'll be spending a lot of time cutting all my green gems before the patch hits...
    Same :P. And yeah elementium/obsidium ore will crash hard if they keep it at 75s. Though since its not in the actual patch notes I'm gonna hold out hope that its a bug... but it is the type of thing Blizzard has been known to change without notification so it wouldn't shock me if it stays in without even having a note...

Deleted
    Hi,

I don't like this change very much but why do you think the market will crash?

We will still be able to transmute green gems into blue ones or sell them on the AH when when it's the daily quest. And very often making Carnelian Spikes, Jasper Rings etc is more profitable than vendoring the cut green gems as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    While thats true, and I actually didn't vendor all that many of my green gems because there are better ways of getting rid of them (and in that sense, if this goes through it actually might benefit me) but I know many JCers who literally just buy mass quantities of ore at 30-35g, prospect/cut/vendor all the greens to make all their money back plus a decent profit, and then sell the rares in stacks for pure profit. These people will be hit by this, and the overall price is likely to decline. I'd say ~20-25g per stack of each is going to be pretty common if this stays the way it is.
    Edit: Also since this will/would stop those people from using the vendoring method, more will use the DE method, causing the enchanting mat market to also go down.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there no longer be a safety net on obsidium - people won't buy the ore anymore due to the safety not being there.

The safety net being the 54g vendor floor price on obsdium

Deleted
    Nume is right in that we will see a drop in prices for enchanting mats and that people who don't do the complete chain from ore -> cut rare gems will be the most affected.

I have the feeling that everybody who transmutes etc will only profit from the drop in obsidium (and maybe elementium?) prices. And if enough people know this then what stops them from increasing the ore prices again?
    Last edited by mmoca92f6e820c; 2011-04-08 at 12:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I for one, love the change.

My warrior is JC/BS, and sometimes the price for ore to do dailies if needed, or the price for raw gems, is ridiculous.

I occasionally have a miner i can use, but still, it will end up giving me much more benefit than loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbomite View Post
    Nume is right in that we will see a drop in prices for enchanting mats and that people who don't do the complete chain from ore -> cut rare gems will be the most affected.

I have the feeling that everybody who transmutes etc will only profit from the drop in obsidium (and maybe elementium?) prices. And if enough people know this then what stops them from increasing the ore prices again?
    The reason is the supply vs demand. If more people do transmuting, it will increase that supply. Its price will fall, causing it to be less profitable and require ore to be cheaper. The same applies to enchanting. The fact is that right now, much more ore is produced than is actually used in most markets. Without people buying it and essentially removing it from the market entirely (through vendoring) there will be an oversupply relative to the demand. This may be counterracted somewhat by the fact that with lower ore prices, miners aren't as likely to spend as much time doing it, but it still should lead to a decrease in price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will be nice to buy green gems for 1g and blues for 4g in ah....

This is kinda rough, hopefully JC isn't decimated for too long. Im sure they will balance this with something else.

As someone who will be greatly effected by this I have done some forecasting. 4.1 will have the following effects:

Ore will plummet.
    Rare uncut gems will plummet.
    Rare cut gems will plummet.
    Herbs will increase in the short term, then slide back down to normal levels.
    Volatiles will drop.
    Truegold will drop.
    Glyphs will see a tiny increase.
    Standard enchants will drop.
    Specialized enchants will plummet.
    Potions and Elixirs will see a tiny increase.

You're welcome for the information.
    Last edited by zizfizziks; 2011-04-08 at 06:27 AM.

Deleted
    In WoW a free market works well. The Obsidium Ore floor was just a fluke that has been fixed.

I wonder what's the price of uncut green gems are going to be.
    Does it stay 5g per?
    In this case the new Obsidium floor price is going to be 30g/stack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airath View Post
    Does it stay 5g per?
    thats exactly what i was thinking... the market woulnt crash for jewelcrafters, but i can imagine that miners would be pissed

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airath View Post
    Does it stay 5g per?
    Are you talking about rare gems?
    If so, you don't vendor those - the actual vendor price for a stack of obsidium is 5g, as you'll get more out of it by smelting it then vendoring the bars than prospecting and vendoring the gems

His talking about the uncut gems, which vendor for 5g each today.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    obsidium will drop to the 25-35g range (depending on server)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dollada06 View Post
    This is kinda rough, hopefully JC isn't decimated for too long. Im sure they will balance this with something else.
    I was getting pretty darn bored flipping the ore 100s at a time. I liked the gold, but enough is enough. I no longer get excited by cheap ore.

---------- Post added 2011-04-08 at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zizfizziks View Post
    As someone who will be greatly effected by this I have done some forecasting. 4.1 will have the following effects:

Ore will plummet.
    Rare uncut gems will plummet.
    Rare cut gems will plummet.
    Herbs will increase in the short term, then slide back down to normal levels.
    Volatiles will drop.
    Truegold will drop.
    Glyphs will see a tiny increase.
    Standard enchants will drop.
    Specialized enchants will plummet.
    Potions and Elixirs will see a tiny increase.

You're welcome for the information.
    If ore plummets, no one will mine it. If no one mines it, no one can prospect it. If no one prospects it, there are no gems. If there are no gems, there are much fewer enchant materials. Supply vs. demand...the market will find a fair balance. If supply goes down on the bottom end, demand will rise.

Anyway, uncommon cut gems in WotLK vendored for 50s. Somehow we all survived. The windfall is over. We made gold. I bought everything possible (literally). We move on and will find new gold-making strategies for new stuff.