15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to applaud Greg Jamison and several league sources for lying their asses off all week about him finalizing the purchase for the Yotes yesterday or at the latest today (the deadline is midnight tonight). Guess what? HE DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY STILL. According to multiple, multiple sources in Arizona and from the league Jamison's bid to buy the Yotes, which has stretched on for months and months and seen at least three completely shady arena deals passed to help him buy the team and taxes increased on the folks in Glendale, is going to end in failure today and the Coyotes will continue to be in limbo. Great job NHL. Great job. You still can't find an owner to buy that greatly managed franchise to keep it in that horrible market. If they opened the doors to relocation owners how quick would they sell the Yotes, tomorrow? Look at fucking Atlanta. The NHL allowed Winnipeg folks to talk about buying the team and it was over before anyone could blink.

Please Bettman, reach down between your legs, find your balls, admit you were wrong about desert hockey ever working, and move the freaking Yotes to a real market with real fans in excess of 10,000.

Note: There is reportedly ANOTHER group looking to buy the Yotes when Jamison's bid falls through. There haven't been discussions about an arena deal with the city or anything yet though and with the new city council I wouldn't hold my breath for anything remotely as sweet as the pot Jamison was getting. Then again there has always been "another group" looking to buy the team after the current bid failed. Basillie, Ice Edge, Jamison 1, Jamison 2, dude who bought into the Blues deal, Jamison 3, now this group.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-31 at 10:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    i wonder how mad Otter Boy is right now...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i wonder how mad Otter Boy is right now...
    Actually about zero. I am quite happy reveling in the potential downfall of the Phoenix situation lol. Sure I know Bettman will throw them lifeline #47 because Phoenix is his Precious, but maybe this time the Yotes will die and an actual market with actual fans and an actual tv audience for national games will get the team they deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Actually about zero. I am quite happy reveling in the potential downfall of the Phoenix situation lol. Sure I know Bettman will throw them lifeline #47 because Phoenix is his Precious, but maybe this time the Yotes will die and an actual market with actual fans and an actual tv audience for national games will get the team they deserve.
    Don't get your hopes up. Part of me thinks Bettman would move a Canadian team and/or an Original Six before letting the Coyotes move somewhere viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. Part of me thinks Bettman would move a Canadian team and/or an Original Six before letting the Coyotes move somewhere viable.
    Yuma Maple Leafs 2014-15!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    moving an original 6 team would be disasterous...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is Bettman we're talking about.

And the target on Yakupov's back grows bigger. I know it's stupid to even think, but there are definitely some goon types who will go after him for this kinda shit. I know he's young and it's exciting, but the novelty of goal-scoring in the NHL should hopefully wear off quick if he doesn't want to find himself pasted into the boards every time he plays Phoenix and LA (was it LA?).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Yuma Maple Leafs 2014-15!
    As someone from Yuma, AZ, it would be the Yuma Lettuce Leafs. That is literally all that city is, mile after mile after mile of lettuce fields (and illegals picking the lettuce) and a marine base which may or may not exist anymore.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 01:07 PM ----------

I honestly wonder if Illitch would have held that threat over Detroit had they not paid for a portion of the new arena project whenever it is going to start. I'd like to think he wouldn't, but soooo many other billionaire owners do it in all the major sports that I could kinda see it happening (at which point I would probably drink myself to death).

I'd be pretty weirdly ok with the Leafs leaving Toronto if only because it would allow for a fresh franchise to come in at this new 'GTA Arena' or whatever they're wanting to build in Markham.

Also, I apparently need to pay closer attention to the Marlies, because they just called up some guy named Ryan Hamilton, and I had no idea who he was (despite leading the team in goals).

Is anyone else, despite being moderately content that hockey is back so they have something to watch during the week, just not feeling it with hockey this year?

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I'd be pretty weirdly ok with the Leafs leaving Toronto if only because it would allow for a fresh franchise to come in at this new 'GTA Arena' or whatever they're wanting to build in Markham.

Also, I apparently need to pay closer attention to the Marlies, because they just called up some guy named Ryan Hamilton, and I had no idea who he was (despite leading the team in goals).

Is anyone else, despite being moderately content that hockey is back so they have something to watch during the week, just not feeling it with hockey this year?
    I'm still not okay with the Leafs having left Maple Leaf Gardens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    it depends, right now hockey is the only thing available since baseball is months away, I don't care about basketball, and the NFL ruined my team's season

but I'm a Kings fan and they are the reigning champs, I finished last year watching every game and I picked up this year doing the same

hockey was far and away my favorite sport until 2004 and the lost season, I'm pretty miffed about the wasted time this year, but its nothing compared to back then, of course my team being on the top of the hill helps since the NHL seems so insistent on losing me as a fan otherwise

hopefully everything will be back to normal come playoff time

10+ Year Old Account
    refs must be angry tonight. washington is making a home in the box

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    refs must be angry tonight. washington is making a home in the box
    you know, i long for the days where you could do more then sneeze at someone without getting thrown in the box. watch a game from before like...2004 and compare it to today. the crap they could do back then compared to now is just off the charts.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Washington sucks, 7 penalties in the 1st period though.

you know, i long for the days where you could do more then sneeze at someone without getting thrown in the box. watch a game from before like...2004 and compare it to today. the crap they could do back then compared to now is just off the charts.
    I prefer the "let just about everything go" attitude as well, but at least so far this year the refs have been consistent lately.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are the refs just god awful in this game or are the Caps just undisciplined? That holding call on Beagle, wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when the leafs had a big shot D man.. who could actually hit the net. Miss you Mccabe

Really wish Reimer would not leave the net to fetch the puck. Everytime he does it I'm afraid we're about to be scored on.

What a goal by Frattin!

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit Tommy Vanek added 5 more points tonight. Dude is having a season. And 7 goals against? Really Boston? Really?