The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Bengals maybe, four years in a row one-and-done.

Blues never seem to put up much of a fight. The one time they advanced past round 1 in recent memory (against the equally hapless Sharks) they got swept out by the Kings in round 2.

- - - Updated - - -

speaking of not putting up much of a fight, Senators currently being shutout at home in an elimination game
    Yeah Bengals aren't a bad choice considering the one and dones, but they don't come close to the expectations that the Blues have had. I was thinking Peyton's teams until he won in '06. Wasn't always one and done, but always disappointed before he eventually won. But Bengals are also good choice cause they are lacking in the most important position just like the Blues have always been lacking in goaltending (what would have happened if they stuck with Marty???)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Eh? Senators put up a pretty good fight; should have been 1-1 and OT.
    What magic non-existent goal did I miss?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it looked pretty clear cut to me. Don't know what hes talking about. And I watched the entire game.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    He means the no goal in the second. Ref called the play dead when he thought Price had it under control, instead it was open and they put it in the net. But the play was called dead. To be quite fair, Price or Anderson would have that and keep it to kill the movement around them. So the Ref was just preemptive on what he thought to be a simple play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Die hard blues fan here...not surprised we were knocked out in the first round. Typical Blues...
    We are pretty much the Detroit Tigers of the NHL, We have a winning season, but when the playoffs come, We can never go all the way.
    Selling myself out below

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the blues fans seemed kind of like "oh well" when we won game one. They were pretty mad at one point, when down by two they just held the puck for like 20 seconds near their own goal and the boos started coming like crazy.insee changes ahead most likely.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Yeah the blues fans seemed kind of like "oh well" when we won game one. They were pretty mad at one point, when down by two they just held the puck for like 20 seconds near their own goal and the boos started coming like crazy.insee changes ahead most likely.
    Yeah. I don't what is going through their heads but it's whatever. We still have the Cardinals here for baseball and they win!
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    He means the no goal in the second. Ref called the play dead when he thought Price had it under control, instead it was open and they put it in the net. But the play was called dead. To be quite fair, Price or Anderson would have that and keep it to kill the movement around them. So the Ref was just preemptive on what he thought to be a simple play.
    There's no 'to be quite fair' about what became 1 of 2 game deciding ref errors in this game, ESPECIALLY when there is video review available. The rules absolutely need to be changed for such scenarios, and review should absolutely override a ref decision.

He should also be talking about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SfXfRF7hw

Rule 62. Again, a ref screw up.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2015-04-27 at 04:05 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://streamable.com/d8wb was the blown off goal, pretty horrible

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    wow.. that was really awful :/

10+ Year Old Account
    bah, I hate those

I'm not going to say the Refs screwed Ottawa out of the game, but they definitely did out of the goal that Price dropped. Frankly I think the whistle is one of those things they need to take a look at. The number is arbitrary, but once a goalie catches a puck it should be a simply 3 count and then the whistle is blown. If you see the puck move , roll, or hit the ice surface after that count starts the whistle shouldn't be blown until he regains control and that 3 seconds has expired.

I know in the Nashville/Chicago series, both sides had several prime scoring chances and or goals waived off simply because the whistle was blow way too early, in some cases just about as soon as the goalie touched it. I also think the " lost sight of the puck " rule and " intended to blow the whistle" need to be looked at as well, considering the ability we have to review goals these days.

The Refs have made some pretty iffy calls in pretty much every series out there. Certain teams get a longer leash, certain players have no leash, it is laughably bad at times. I give Chicago all the credit in the world, experience has taught them how to play the refs and how to take advantage of the refs being loose on certain things. Lavi got ticked about the Kane goal in game 2 because of too many men, but if you see the replay of it, it was less about that one goal and more about the game before them getting away with the same thing 5-6 times with no call. Chicago had several dives in the series that gained them PP time, and no I'm not saying that is why they won the series, nor do I think poorly of them, that is part of the game. If the Refs are going to buy it, you would be foolish not to do it.

Overall the Refs in the NHL are pretty piss poor, their standards shift from one game to the next, on crew to the next, heck sometimes one shift to the next. They do make up calls, or at least try to if they feel like they gave one up. They spend all season being tough on certain things, and then once the playoffs start it goes right out the window. There are obvious " rooters" or " haters" among the individual refs as well when it comes to certain teams. Its really the one part of the game the NHL needs to take a long hard look at, but sadly won't.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is exhibit A on one of many. Price never had that puck at all and the whistle was blown the second it hit his jersey.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2015-04-27 at 08:07 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its really hard to have good reffing since the game is so fast. Human error is just always going to be a part of it because of how quickly literally everything happens. I actually didnt mind the officiating in our series. They missed calls yeah but they let them play for the most part. I hate intent to blow the whistle and they are discussing it apparently. Its just such a bullshit resolution it should be blowing the whistle is the End of the play no in between. Make up calls are also so stupid. So what if you missed one call earlier, calling something borderline 3 mins later is terrible.

Who does everyone got tonight? 3-2 CAPS in OT Troy Brower series winner and 4-1 Tampa Stamkos 2 goals and an assist to force game 7!
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2015-04-27 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They spend all season being tough on certain things, and then once the playoffs start it goes right out the window.
    This is the aspect that always bothered me. I agree with Zeoni that the game is too fast to expect perfection, but they can never seem to maintain a standard from game to game or week to week or even within a single game. I see so many outright penalties ignored seemingly arbitrarily. It isn't an issue of not seeing the call but being afraid to make it because its the playoffs. How many times have I complained of them refusing to call any penalties until they remember their job with 2 minutes left in the game? Its infuriating to see them ignore calls, missing them can be forgiven.

The game is fast. That's why there are cameras. That a review can't override a call on the ice is simply bullshit.

And while refs do make mistakes, those mistakes don't typically decide games as they did last evening.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a really tough spot for the NHL, on the flip side what if Price did freeze the puck, but because the whistle didn't blow right away he took a bunch of samurai chops that causes it to squeak out and lead to a goal? Can you then review that and say Price had it secured and play should have been blown dead and take away the goal?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The game is fast. That's why there are cameras. That a review can't override a call on the ice is simply bullshit.

And while refs do make mistakes, those mistakes don't typically decide games as they did last evening.
    They were talking about Coach's Challenge coming in for next season @ the GM's meetings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    That's a really tough spot for the NHL, on the flip side what if Price did freeze the puck, but because the whistle didn't blow right away he took a bunch of samurai chops that causes it to squeak out and lead to a goal? Can you then review that and say Price had it secured and play should have been blown dead and take away the goal?
    Can Price somehow not handle the samurai chops that every other goalie in the league has to deal with when they smother a puck?

There is no question that this should have been a goal, and it's a fantastic example of why to bring in the coach's challenge
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Islanders spent the entire 2nd period in their own zone, they gave up the inevitable goal.

Of course the refs had swallowed their whistles again.
    Last edited by draynay; 2015-04-28 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    There's no 'to be quite fair' about what became 1 of 2 game deciding ref errors in this game, ESPECIALLY when there is video review available. The rules absolutely need to be changed for such scenarios, and review should absolutely override a ref decision.
    There are still going to be bad calls/non-calls that'll happen. Even with video review & a coach challenge they wouldn't have been allowed to reward Ottawa with a goal because the ref blew the whistle to stop play early and you can't count a goal after play was stopped dead. Sometimes nothing can be done, but I hate to see a team get eliminated from a series (even if they might have later in OT) because of an idiotic call.