Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should our warlock's DPS be higher?

I am the raid leader of our 10 man raid team and I am concerned that our warlock seems to struggle to keep up with the rest of our DPS on most fights (council he seems to top the charts, but even there I think he should be doing much higher than he is? Pretty much every other fight he is way below the others).

He is in full 359 gear, which is the same or even slightly higher than the rest of the DPS team.

Here is a link to our world of logs site:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/129446/

Is his DPS ok? Are warlocks really that far behind the other DPS classes at the moment? (take our Halfus normal kill last night where he is just over 21k DPS, and everyone else is over 30k!).

He seems to believe that he is doing about what he should be, but I see people claiming to have much higher numbers for similar gear, so I am not sure who to believe?

Any insight you can add would be greatly appreciated, and if there are any tips I will be sure to pass them on!

Thanks.

Don't believe people who say "I'm doing what I should be doing", I consistently rank on WoL, but I always know I can do better.

Halfus is a bad fight to judge.

13k on double dragons is horrible for a warlock.

Edit: Somewhat unrelated, but 2 frost DKs is sort of pointless. Especially when both of them are performing poorly as well.
    Last edited by Emothianes; 2011-04-13 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    56% up time on immo 50% up time on corrupt, should start there. Below hit cap, inconsistant reforging. Only used bane of havoc on p1 of council and not p2. No potion use, has herbalism, has cheap enchants.
    Last edited by Viceversa; 2011-04-13 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Halfus is a bad fight to judge.

13k on double dragons is horrible for a warlock.

Edit: Somewhat unrelated, but 2 frost DKs is sort of pointless. Especially when both of them are performing poorly as well.
    One of the DK's is not part of the core raid team, he only fills in when people are away, normally he would be a mage.

Can you please elaborate on them doing poorly? Particularly Tehz who is in the core team.

Cheers.

edit: Also can you please explain why Halfus is a bad fight to judge? Is it a bad fight for Warlocks in general? Is his spec no good for AOE etc?

I would have thought with Bane of Havoc and so many targets it wouldn't be so bad for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Viceversa View Post
    56% up time on immo 50% up time on corrupt, should start there. Below hit cap, inconsistant reforging. Only used bane of havoc on p1 of council and not p2. No potion use, has herbalism, has cheap enchants.
    Can you please elaborate on where he could do better with reforging?

I had noticed the low up time on his DOTs and was wondering if that was an issue. I haven't played a warlock since TBC so wanted to check with others if DOTs were still supposed to be a priority to maintain (I assumed it would be).

What is a good uptime for immolate and corruption? 80%? 90%? As close to 100% as possible?

Cheers
    Last edited by GloryDruid; 2011-04-13 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    uptime on corruption and immolate should be near 100% :P its not hard to refresh those also he should get hitcap or at least near it

Your warlock isn't managing cooldowns properly at all (not casting Conflagrate and Chaos Bolt on CD for example), does not have good DOT and ISF uptimes and does not know spell priorities for the spec.

I have noticed that your lock's top damage is consistently the imp. This shouldn't be happening. Typically Immolate would do the most damage, and the imp would usually be 3rd highest damage on the lock's arsenal.

Looking at the logs, it seems that your lock mostly turrets Incinerate even when DOTs and ISF drop off already. Incinerate should be the lowest priority for a lock since its just a filler spell. He has dismal damage output from Conflagrate which shouldn't be the case. But its probably expected when your lock has very low Immolate uptime hence Conflag can't be used.

Get your lock to improve DOT and ISF uptimes to over 90% and his DPS should increase dramatically. And get him/her to cast Conflagrate and CHaos Bolt on cooldown with a high priority on Conflagrate.

Also, change MH enchant to Power Torrent and put an enchant on the off-hand.
    Last edited by d00dz; 2011-04-14 at 01:45 AM.

Deleted
    im at 358 gear Destro lock

in bot he should be doing approx

Halfus 40k+
    valiona 20k+
    council 20k+
    chogall 20k+

but if his gear optimization is crap as i could read from some of the other posts it makes sense that he is underperforming, failing to keep dots alive is also a no go..

in BwD i believe he should be around these numbers as destro

Magmaw 25k+
    omitron 20k+
    chimaeron 20k+
    atramedes 20k+
    maloriak ( he should be demo for that fight in my opinion ) 24-26k
    nefarian ive only killed once and i think i did around 20k ish but was my first kill so need to work on that fight

anyway those figures are obviously depending on raid setup, gear optimization etc.

i would make him go to EJ or some other forums and learn his class or find a new warlock.

I notice on your cho'gall kill last sunday(April 10th) he once again had very low uptime on all his DoTs.
    Immolate(62.2%)
    Corruption(55.7%)
    Bane of Doom(74.7%)
    Bane of Havoc(A terrible 0.7% uptime.. only cast 3 times despite about 5 adds spawning)
    And also EXTREMELY imporantly- Improved Soul Fire buff(55%)

EDIT: Also only used shadowflame once from what I see, in a fight like Cho'gall he should be using that nearly on CD
    Last edited by Smitus; 2011-04-14 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks for all of the tips guys, looks like my suspicions about his DPS output being on the low side were correct.

I'll have a chat and recommend he looks into the suggestions posted (better uptime on DOT's, using spells like conflag and chaos bolt on cooldown etc...)

Thanks heaps everyone!

Tell him to go for 1993 haste to reach the extra tick of corruption, missing enchant on OH, wasting Int on sockets, that said about his/her gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no doubt in my mind, that after seeing his gear and your wols, this warlock is truly a very clueless player, and clearly a very arrogant/stubborn player. Tell him to read this thread; http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t111390-...4_0_6_updated/

Your warlock probably doesn't have much keybinds, tell him to start binding some. Also tell him to download an addon that tracks debuffs & buffs, he clearly doesn't have one of those since he has so low uptime on his dots. Just having one of these addons doesnt give you 40% more dot uptime though, the problem clearly lies deeper. Also he should swap herbalism with tailoring or jewelcrafting and give one of his alts herbalism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryDruid View Post
    One of the DK's is not part of the core raid team, he only fills in when people are away, normally he would be a mage.

Can you please elaborate on them doing poorly? Particularly Tehz who is in the core team.

Cheers.

edit: Also can you please explain why Halfus is a bad fight to judge? Is it a bad fight for Warlocks in general? Is his spec no good for AOE etc?

I would have thought with Bane of Havoc and so many targets it wouldn't be so bad for him?

--
    Can you please elaborate on where he could do better with reforging?

I had noticed the low up time on his DOTs and was wondering if that was an issue. I haven't played a warlock since TBC so wanted to check with others if DOTs were still supposed to be a priority to maintain (I assumed it would be).

What is a good uptime for immolate and corruption? 80%? 90%? As close to 100% as possible?

Cheers
    To answer your questions in specific;

Corr/Immolate should have uptime of 90%+ depending on the fight. Bane of Doom should simply have 99%+ since you can clip it easily.
    The Halfus is not good to compare-part would not make much sense, eventho there is a %damage taken increase on the boss, difference should not be this huge.
    His gemming appears wierd. I'd personally put an other gem in his head (30 mastery is alot, eventho it aint our mainstat), but I can understand that. However, his 2nd belt gem. . . .

On Halfus, especially Heroic, I'd let your warlock play demonology (Meta+Immoaua+hellfire+a bunch of whelps&drakes = pewpew).

Further I think the rest of the people covered everything up 8D

Deleted
    What viceversa said.

ALSO: he is not using shdowflame. It's a massive DPS increase (higher on priority that Chaos Bolt!) especially on halfus where it applies a dot to every single whelp...

Deleted
    decrease destro pve damage so we could get buffed! destro pvp dmg is... how would i say this... too dispellable

Deleted
    I've put up a comparison between your lock's V&T fight and my last normal V&T kill. We had 2 alts along as well as only doing it with 9 which put our killtime almost exactly as your log (5:22 vs 5:23).
    I've only got slightly better gear, but mostly better enchanted and gemmed.
    Comparebot Nïnia vs Kilmir

I do have some advantages like better procs (4t11, Volcanic trinket, Lightweave enchant) and +10% spelldam from Totem of Wrath on that fight which your Nïnia doesn't have, so even if he would play as well as me he wouldn't reach my numbers.
    Mostly look at:
    - dot uptimes, higher is better
    - amount of CD-spells usage (Chaos Bolt, Conflagrate, Shadowflame), more is better
    - amount of casts total compensating a bit for slower casts like SF and Incin (lesser casts generally means he spends time without casting anything, which is the worst any warlock could do)

Oh yeah, and make him use Infernal. It's a nice boost .

If he needs help with reforging/enchants, there's a site that is most helpful with that, and it will get you to hitcap. It's picky and every time you change a piece of gear it will tell you to reforge (and sometimes it's just to reforge 50 crit > 50 hit from one thing to the exact same thing to something else) but it takes the confusion out of it. It will also take into account expensive enchants vs less expensive (if you don't want to spend the gold for maelstrom cyrstals on a blue item right now), darkmoon cards, give you a bis list pre-raid, raid and tell you where those things drop.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow

To build on Kilmir's link to CompareBot, DPS Bot now has much broader data that shows very high level trends of spec DPS. You can look at one spec and one fight to see where the larger population of raiders lie.

Here's a specific look at how the specs are doing on average on 10N Halfus:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Halfus_Wy...14/60/default/

You can play around with the site to get a feel where players end up sitting in a very broad way. Thought you might be interested
    Creator of Raidbots.com

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDruid View Post

Cheers
    Every incinerate he does without immolate up is less damage, he can't conflag without immolate up, and immolate is his second highest DPeT ability. I can't understand how he can't realise his conflag is greyed out and carry on but looking at those logs angered me.

Also make sure that on multi-target fights that he is multi-dotting. On fights like V&T, Omnitron, Elemental Council, Nefarian (P1 and P2), and Halfus it makes a significant difference. Casting Immolate and corruption on a second target increases DPS by like 8-12%, especially helpful on shared life bosses.

But I guess trying to have him get his SINGLE dot'ing down first might be the best course of action, Immo, and Corruption should have at the very least an 80% uptime, 90%+ being better. Also ISF should be like 75%+ uptime.

Edit:
    Destro is the highest warlock DPS spec... if you can actually play it, it uses something like 10 buttons in its regular rotation (9 if you don't count BoD since it has a long duration). If he has trouble playing destro, maybe he should consider Demonology instead, its damage is theoretically lower, but its rotation is only like 4 buttons and one of the DoTs becomes self maintaining... and certain fights you get to spend 40% of the encounter running in circles mashing hellfire...
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-04-14 at 03:27 PM.