Poll: When does Cyber Bullying cross the line?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Suicide and when does Cyber Bullying cross the line?

From the man who played Jar Jar Binks, who I will admit I hated, however, I never understood how or why some people carry it so far. When something is political, or personal, I for sure get it, I am not saying I agree, but I understand how things get heated.

But even when it comes to things that aren't, I don't think I will ever understand the sense to go that far, to go to someones website, or twitter, or Instagram or whatever, to make it a personal mission to attack and wish death on people like this.

As I said, I hated Jar Jar Binks, I hated the Star Trek JJ Abrams reboots, I hate the Kardashians, Hell especially when it comes to political which I find extremely personal there are those I hate. But I don't follow them on any social media platform, I don't engage with them or about them in any real way therefor outside of the politics my life is not impacted by any of the above.

Even if it something like for example World of Warcraft as of recent, I can either elect to participate or not and yes I feel betrayed by some franchise or stories I used to like changing, but I am not under any delusion that these things were ever mine and I wouldn't out of my way to obsess about them to a point where, I would attack those involved in whatever projects So the question becomes why do people do this.

Where is the line, and what is a step too far?

I am not talking simply about just death threats, but I am talking about people that go out of their way, including their mob mentalities to run someone down.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

"I played Jar Jar Binks"

lol

A lot of your SJWs resort to cyber bullying.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-01-24 at 07:28 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Cyber bullying is never okay.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

How do you define cyber bullying? Telling someone hes an idiot loser with no friends. While distasteful, I dont think its cyber bullying.

Credible death threats arent ok. Doxing is not ok in my book either. Pretty much anything else is fine. If it gets to be too excessive, its harassment which is not ok but I'm not sure where that line is drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    How do you define cyber bullying? Telling someone hes an idiot loser with no friends. While distasteful, I dont think its cyber bullying.

Credible death threats arent ok. Doxing is not ok in my book either. Pretty much anything else is fine. If it gets to be too excessive, its harassment which is not ok but I'm not sure where that line is drawn.
    for liberals generally anybody who disagrees with them is cyber bullying them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If it causes harm, there are already laws in place that punish such a behavior, so there's your line.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    If it causes harm, there are already laws in place that punish such a behavior, so there's your line.
    Does emotional harm count? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Does emotional harm count? Lol
    There are colleges who have cry closets. So yes it does these days.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I was about to agree that cyber bullying can go too far. As an adult who imagines other people across the computer as looking like attendees at Blizzcon who smell like attendees at MTG tournaments, I laugh heartily at downvotes or obvious trolls. But, for some it can seriously affect them. Here is where I disagree with never doing it. I don't think actors or writers, or any creative type, should catch significant flak for products they produce. People should just stop consuming the product and that will do far more damage than mean Twitter words. However, if Hubcap were to load up a news article that one, two, or God willing all Kardashians killed themselves to cyber bullying, I would be a firm advocate of the practice.

Bullying is the zigging to the societal zagging. It can go too far, but in small drips it has its purpose. Any reality star Huckleberries who make millions upon millions for virtue of being famous for being famous should be eradicated. If China were to invade and behead the whole lot of them, my patriotic arms would fall to the ground, and I would bow like a bitch and say "xie xie".

7+ Year Old Account
    Why care what some fucker thinks of u halfway across the world? It's just words? Those people have no idea of who you are IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    "I played Jar Jar Binks"

lol

A lot of your SJWs resort to cyber bullying.
    This isn't really about anything political, unless you feel Jar Jar Binks was a political move, rather than a creative one by George Lucas himself. Jar Jar was rightfully hated because it was a terrible character, but the question is about how the fuck far do we as people carry that.

I understand creative differences, but why target people for hate like the guy who played him, or any character like World of Warcraft for example.

I'd be more worried about getting bullied irl, if you're getting bullied online then there is a such thing as a block button, block number, and if they keep making multiple things then just keep ignoring them. When they realize they aren't getting anywhere or getting a rise out of you they'll get bored and move on to their next target. If you stick around and try to argue with these people then you're just throwing fuel onto the fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I'd be more worried about getting bullied irl, if you're getting bullied online then there is a such thing as a block button, block number, and if they keep making multiple things then just keep ignoring them. When they realize they aren't getting anywhere or getting a rise out of you they'll get bored and move on to their next target. If you stick around and try to argue with these people then you're just throwing fuel onto the fire.
    Ok but back to the OT the guy that played Jar Jar Binks, or even Jake Lloyd the guy that played Anakin as a kid, where do they go, and what do they do, if their career is about taking on roles and being characters.

What about people that did nothing wrong being attacked and threatened sometimes with death, by thousands?

I am specifically talking about someone simply unlike or hated by people who is of no harm what so ever, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Ok but back to the OT the guy that played Jar Jar Binks, or even Jake Lloyd the guy that played Anakin as a kid, where do they go, and what do they do, if their career is about taking on roles and being characters.

What about people that did nothing wrong being attacked and threatened sometimes with death, by thousands?

I am specifically talking about someone simply unlike or hated by people who is of no harm what so ever, then what?
    What can you do as a celebrity? I mean you can just delete your social media or create a secretive one. Stupid people will be stupid and say stupid things because they blame the actors for their bad character and not the creator or director. The easiest solution is just develop a thick skin and a f*** em attitude twards the haters.

I see cyber-bullying and death threats as two different things.
    One is very illegal, while the other isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    From the man who played Jar Jar Binks, who I will admit I hated
    Did you hate a -character on a screen-, or did you hate a person, who played a character?

As I said, I hated Jar Jar Binks, I hated the Star Trek JJ Abrams reboots
    A character on a screen. A story on TV.
    and
    I hate the Kardashians
    Now hold on here. Are you saying you hate a tv show, or a particular people who did nothing to you?

Where is the line, and what is a step too far?
    Too Far is the moment you do something dickish. It's not hard to figure out. There's never any good justification to be rude, or mean, or abusive to anyone. Just because you might not like someone, for something, isn't reason to wish ill on them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I see cyber-bullying and death threats as two different things.
    One is very illegal, while the other isn't.
    There's a lot of bleedover from telling someone you're going to kill them, to telling a 6 year old that they're so worthless they should kill themselves and do the world a favor.

Its not reasonable to expect that a child should be able to respond maturely to insults from an adult that are specifically meant to harm them.

Trying to hurt someone is wrong, period. I don't agree with many of the overreactions in some of the defenses though, or how blind responses can be based off of race/gender/age/whatever.

It's not reasonable that a 6yr old should be on the internet posting online...

If you are a dick to people you've gone to far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Did you hate a -character on a screen-, or did you hate a person, who played a character?

A character on a screen. A story on TV.
    and

Now hold on here. Are you saying you hate a tv show, or a particular people who did nothing to you?

Too Far is the moment you do something dickish. It's not hard to figure out. There's never any good justification to be rude, or mean, or abusive to anyone. Just because you might not like someone, for something, isn't reason to wish ill on them.
    I mean the Characters or the artistic project, i do NOT mean the actual human beings associated with them. Which is why I said Jar Jar Binks, or referred to specific projects like the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboots.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

And yes, I agree with you to some degree, I am not sure about the being rude thing, that can be subjective, I mean if I don't like say what JJ Abrams has done to my favorite show, I am probably not going to be all warm and fuzzy.

But I am still going to be decent to the man if I met him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    What can you do as a celebrity? I mean you can just delete your social media or create a secretive one. Stupid people will be stupid and say stupid things because they blame the actors for their bad character and not the creator or director. The easiest solution is just develop a thick skin and a f*** em attitude twards the haters.
    Yeah but that also damages their career well beyond the point that it should. I am not saying people shouldn't be vocal, or that as an actor they shouldn't be open to criticism. But telling people they should kill themselves, or that they are some how the reason for everything wrong in the world because of a their work or film is pretty damn harsh.