Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Angry Rage on that PowerPC

So now that Patch 4.0.1 is out i realize this is the patch powerpc's are no longer supported

Yes I run and play wow on a powerPC and up until now it worked great! a little laggy in Dal from time to time but that expected for using a 4-5 year old computer...

To the point I am posting this thread for 2 reasons...

1. Rage on how you cant play wow anymore unless you get a new CPU!
    2. What are you going to do now? buy a new computer or quit!?

Also if anyone knows a good laptop in and around the $1300 price range could you please post what model/ spec i should be looking for.

4-5 year old computers belong to museum, not on desktops. So rejoice instead of rage, now you've ran out of excuses to update the rustbucket.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    ran out of excuses to not* update the rust-bucket
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I'm in the same boat. I have a power mac G4 with completely maxed specs. This comp is 5 - 6 years old and still more powerful than most computers out there. Ran wow like a dream. Its not a desktop its a work station. Luckily I've been saving for a new machine, I'll just have to try and move the purchase ahead of schedule. Still sucks though, the only other machine I can play on is a dell POS laptop thats even older, yet still supported by Blizz. Definitely no raiding or going to any city other than silvermoon on that piece of crap. I wonder if I cancel my sub now if I can get blizz to refund me for half of a month of play time.

15+ Year Old Account
    blizzard wont refund for any reason afaik, was your choice to buy the time and your choice not to use it.

correct me if i'm wrong, but powermac g4 was at the turn of the century, there is no way it is more powerful than "most computers out there"
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by turboblake View Post
    I have a power mac G4 with completely maxed specs. This comp is 5 - 6 years old and still more powerful than most computers out there.
    In your dreams, pal... G4 is about on par with first Pentium 4's, and roughly decade behind in technology.

Also what makes old PPC based Macs pretty much worthless is absolutely ridiculous power drain. High end G5 can suck out as much out of wall outlet as current i7 with dual graphics cards and has 1/3 of the raw number crunching power.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can get amacbook pro for 1300. But its pretty much junk. core 2 duo.

My new cyberpower machine from newegg is arriving friday. Glad I read the forums and use the launcher I was prepared for the change.

Yeah don't lie about your g4 running wow well. zero view distance and still getting sub 10 FPS is not maxed specs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblake View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I have a power mac G4 with completely maxed specs. This comp is 5 - 6 years old and still more powerful than most computers out there. Ran wow like a dream.
    I'd like to point out that posts like this are why people get called out for posting that an underpowered machine is playing WoW flawlessly. This post is proof positive that people will lie about computer performance to make themselves feel better.

I'd like to point something out as well...
    People who either don't use a Mac or have never used one have no idea what they're talking about when try to comment on them.

If Macs and PCs were cars the Mac would be a Lexus and the PC would be a Hyundai. I've used both kinds of machines extensively and Macs last MUCH longer both hardware and performance-wise. While you're typically replacing a PC every three years or so due to system corruption or disk failure, a Mac will last at least twice as long and still be running when you decide to replace it. For example I still have my old beige Mac G3 from college when I was in design school and it still runs great. It obviously isn't my main household computer anymore but a PC of the same age would have died long ago.
    I currently have (as my main machine) a dual processor G5 Power Mac and it runs every bit as fast as the six-years-newer PC I work with at the office. And yes, if Blizzard still supported the PowerPC for WoW my G5 could easily run it with everything turned up to max.

Mac haters out there, know what your talking about before saying it.

[User has received an infraction for this post. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-04-17 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRuss75 View Post
    People who either don't use a Mac or have never used one have no idea what they're talking about when try to comment on them.

If Macs and PCs were cars the Mac would be a Lexus and the PC would be a Hyundai. I've used both kinds of machines extensively and Macs last MUCH longer both hardware and performance-wise. While you're typically replacing a PC every three years or so due to system corruption or disk failure, a Mac will last at least twice as long and still be running when you decide to replace it. For example I still have my old beige Mac G3 from college when I was in design school and it still runs great. It obviously isn't my main household computer anymore but a PC of the same age would have died long ago.
    I currently have (as my main machine) a dual processor G5 Power Mac and it runs every bit as fast as the six-years-newer PC I work with at the office. And yes, if Blizzard still supported the PowerPC for WoW my G5 could easily run it with everything turned up to max.

benchmarks to prove such a thing?

Runs every bit as fast when you're using 6 year old programs. Try to load a modern game on that bad boy and lemme know how that works out. And no, I don't mean FarmVille.

Pic related, since we're using vehicle metaphors. http://i.imgur.com/o42Nm.jpg
    Last edited by shaw0050; 2011-04-16 at 05:40 PM.

Quite possibly before you start calling people out, please post specifics instead of made up generalities. The problem with most posts like this are that the person loving on the Mac is trying to compare a 2k dollar Mac with a 700 dollar PC made by one of any number of PC manufacturers that may or may not be up to snuff with other manufacturer's qualities. I guarantee you that if you know what you are looking for in manufacturer and hardware you can get a PC that will last just as long as any Mac, not to mention getting higher powered hardware for the same price.

Why did you just necro a 6 month old thread, simply to start a "Mac VS PC" war?

Quote Originally Posted by Rendhammer View Post
    Why did you just necro a 6 month old thread, simply to start a "Mac VS PC" war?
    Klaatu! Verata! Nikuediajito!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Klaatu! Verata! Nikuediajito!
    What he said...I think.

Creating a new account to make an ignorant post? Check yourself.

The hardware in any computer, regardless of the company you so choose to bend over for, is the same. Don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise. Anecdotal evidence is also hardly compelling.

While you're typically replacing a PC every three years or so due to system corruption or disk failure, a Mac will last at least twice as long and still be running when you decide to replace it.
    My grandparents have an old PC running Win3.1 that still runs, I'm not sure exactly what the specs are on it but I'm fairly certain the computer was purchased with that OS so it's fairly aged.

Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    Creating a new account to make an ignorant post? Check yourself.

The hardware in any computer, regardless of the company you so choose to bend over for, is the same. Don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise. Anecdotal evidence is also hardly compelling.
    And this. I bet you anything if you were to open up your Mac system and take a look at the HDD, ODD, and Graphics Card it would be the exact same thing you could get for a PC(Manufacturer and all).
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2011-04-16 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
    A friend of mine bought this one. So far he loves it. About $150 more than you're looking to spend, but worth it IMO. Asus makes good stuff.
    DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP!

now that that is out of the way, here's why:
    asus did a very bad job of doing thermal management with that laptop (i own that same model)
    after about 3-4 months they will start to overheat constantly (thermal paste breaks down)

you can RMA them, or redo the thermal pasting yourself (voiding the warranty),
    but on a scale of 1-10 in difficulty to disassemble, the g73jh is good 9.5

im a big fan of asus, and i have many other asus products that are awesome, but the g73jh is a bad product, asus should pull it from the market

Quote Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
    A friend of mine bought this one. So far he loves it. About $150 more than you're looking to spend, but worth it IMO. Asus makes good stuff.
    bestbuy sells basically the same laptop for $1099

or http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+F...&skuId=2070069
    Last edited by Juffowup; 2011-04-16 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as i know... PowerPC was the name for RISC Architecture... and were used on Mac till like 2006... now they are pretty much the same bs as other comps since they use Intel processors... RISC Arch... was way better in performance that its counterpart CISC although much more expensive... so all im trying to say is... AMEN bro for keeping that machine this long... not a fan of Mac precisely bcuz the went to use Intel CISC processors instead of the Motorola RISC ones :P... I know im gonna be flamed by this... but o well...

also
    Quoting JRuss
    "If Macs and PCs were cars the Mac would be a Lexus and the PC would be a Hyundai. "

U might know about Comps, but u dont know much bout cars... lol I do support that the Old school Macs were much powerful than the equivalent PCs... but know they are the same (arch wise) thing as them...

the right analogy would be if Macs and PCs wre cars Mac would be BMW with a Japanese engine... and Pcs would be an original Japanese car... (maybe a Nissan, reliable but it does have its issues)

nuff said
    - "Who has two thumbs... and doesn't Give a shit..." - Dr Kelso
    - "you play with a female char!!, and u are guy!! then you are Gay... then i respond... you play with an Undead being human... ur a necrofiliac" - Someguy