Phoenix_AND1

What to upgrade?

Hello everyone,

so Im wondering what should I upgrade from my computer to get stable FPS, Im having around 20 FPS in mass fights like TolBarad, Isle of Conquest. Im having low FPS also when I come to the middle of Stormwind. In normal situations like WSG Im having about 50 FPS which is good. My problem is what should I change to get stable FPS in Tol barad and mass fights atleast 30-35 FPS. Im also having a little "freezes for 0,1s", for example when I turn around..

I reinstalled my Windows 64bit 7, my drivers are up to date.
    I turned off all my background applications what I dont need, just running WoW.

My PC is :

Intel core quad q6600, overclocked to 3.31Ghz (Tested stability)
    2x2GB Ram in dual channel
    Evga GeForce gtx460 768mb overtacted to proc. clock 1650, memory clock 2030
    MB: Asus P5k
    PSU 650W Seasonic
    HDD Classic 7200.12 WD

Im thinking about buying a SSD disk just for OS and WOW, but what do u guys think, what should I do to increase my FPS?

Deleted
    personally i think an extra 2gb of ram, especially if u running windows7, is a cheap solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfastnoise View Post
    personally i think an extra 2gb of ram, especially if u running windows7, is a cheap solution.
    I'm pretty sure he is looking to boost his fps, and 4gb is enough

i have the 1024mb GTX460 SE, and i get about 35 fps in SW also, but soon as i leave SW back up to 60, sometimes get 30 in twin peaks when the game just starts and i run out the flag room, other then that its perfect on ultra settings, all i could say is maybe need a CPU upgrade? im not that good with computers but for wow 4gb ram is plenty and the GPU you have is overkill for wow also. hope this might help

Consider upgrading your platform. You need a better CPU, but that means an new MB and new RAM. LGA 775 is dead and not worth spending any money on. WoW is CPU intensive, especially when you start running several addons.

Adding more RAM or a SSD won't help your FPS.

Estimates for a Sandy Bridge platform
    MB: 120
    RAM: 40
    CPU: 125 (i3-2100)
    Total: 285 without an new CPU cooler, shipping

If you wanted to overclock, you'd need to buy the i5-2500k ($225)
    Last edited by Samskeyti; 2011-04-17 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk4MVP View Post
    Omg you are such a retard! "in Tol barad and mass fights atleast 30-35 FPS" Your eyes can't difference between 25fps and 60fps! Your system is fine, just whine less!
    Yeah, don't feed the Troll.

OT: Your CPU is really the choke point, so going Sandy Bridge is the best thing you can do right now.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Samskeyti View Post
    Consider upgrading your platform. You need a better CPU, but that means an new MB and new RAM. LGA 775 is dead and not worth spending any money on. WoW is CPU intensive, especially when you start running several addons.

Adding more RAM or a SSD won't help your FPS.

Estimates for a Sandy Bridge platform
    MB: 120
    RAM: 40
    CPU: 125 (i3-2100)
    Total: 285 without an new CPU cooler, shipping

If you wanted to overclock, you'd need to buy the i5-2500k ($225)
    Pretty much what this guy said, it would be the smartest and best way to upgrade what you have.

Phoenix_AND1
    OK 1 Question, can you explain me where is the difference between the CPU'S?

If I compare i5-2500 the clock is 3300 (Same as I have atm), 4 cores (Same as I have atm), the only difference is DDR3 1333Mhz(1066Mhz atm) and L2 cache 1024kb (8192kb atm) but the i5 has also L3 cache 6144kb(Q6600 doesnt).TDP is almost the same. I just cant see the difference for the money, or whats the biggest difference between these 2 processors?

It's not about straight Mhz anymore. The i5 will do much more per cycle than your C2Q will.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk4MVP View Post
    Omg you are such a retard! "in Tol barad and mass fights atleast 30-35 FPS" Your eyes can't difference between 25fps and 60fps! Your system is fine, just whine less!
    My eyes can, and I can feel my mouse getting sloppy when I dip below 35, so yeah, it's kinda important and my guess would be he feels the same way.

To understand why a Sandy Bridge does laps around your Kentsfield, you have to zoom out and look at design.
    Kentsfield was based on the "Core" architecture. There was Nehalem and now Sandy Bridge. For each architecture, Intel redesigns how the CPU works and improves it.
    Your CPU is 2 architectures behind now.

You can overclock a SB CPU to 4.5ghz on air.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_AND1 View Post
    OK 1 Question, can you explain me where is the difference between the CPU'S?
    i5-2500K does whole lot more in the same time compared to Q6600. In most processor benchmarks i5-2500K scores about double that of Q6600 because of the advances in CPU design in past four years which is the age difference of the two products.

Four years is about the time during which consumer HDD's have increased in size from 250GB PATA to 2TB SATA, did you think that no progress would happen with other components?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Phoenix_AND1
    OK Thank you all, for your opinions and explanations, I think I will upgrade for i5 2500k and overclock it.ByeBye