Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who will be the NBA's MVP?

Many candidates this year, but I believe that Derrick Rose will win his first MVP. He will be the youngest player to win a MVP award in the MVP as well. He helped lead the Bulls clinch the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference, and his stats are pretty good. He's averaging 26 points and 8 assists I believe.

Other notable candidates (in my opinion) would be Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Kobe, LeBron, Amare, Dirk, and Wade.

90% Rose
    9% Durant
    1% LeBron because people are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psii View Post
    90% Rose
    9% Durant
    1% LeBron because people are retarded.

Dwight Howard would be in second place IMO, look at his numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    No basketball fans here I see.... :\

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see anyone else getting close to beating Rose in the MVP race this year.

I can't see how Derrick Rose could lose in the MVP race either. He literally carried Bulls to 1st place in whole of NBA ( poor Spurs lost 1st place yesterday,although they were 1# the whole season lol).
    Last edited by Lafleur; 2011-04-18 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamekiller View Post
    Dwight Howard would be in second place IMO, look at his numbers.
    Isn't that the guy with 18 technicals & however many he's had rescinded this year? I know next near to nothing about basketball, but if you're spending more time T'd up than a golf ball that's probably a bad thing right?
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

$spn already declared that drose will be the mvp but it should really be dwight howard

literally carrying that team on his back

Derrick Rose for me. Never thought id see a point guard score with such explosiveness and style after Iverson.

Deleted
    99,8% DRose
    0.01% DHoward
    0.01% LeBoom

Derrick Rose. Going to lead the Bulls to the Finals vs the defending Lakers.
    Chicago will win in 7. Phil Jackson will retire as a coach just as he started, with the Bulls beating the Lakers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Danton View Post
    Derrick Rose. Going to lead the Bulls to the Finals vs the defending Lakers.
    Chicago will win in 7. Phil Jackson will retire as a coach just as he started, with the Bulls beating the Lakers.
    Wrong thread >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Derrick Rose.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Derrick Rose down hands. Bulls first place in an over-rated, star-filled Eastern Conference.
    "If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character, would you slow down or speed up your stay?"- Chuck Palahniuk

Because the MVP is a media-driven popularity contest? Derrick Rose hands down.

I don't think it should be that obvious though. Dwight Howard deserves serious consideration. Without him, Orlando is a 3-point shooting team without an inside presence. They'd be terrible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Isn't that the guy with 18 technicals & however many he's had rescinded this year? I know next near to nothing about basketball, but if you're spending more time T'd up than a golf ball that's probably a bad thing right?
    In Howard's defense, he took the most fouls in the NBA this season, over 600, without a SINGLE one of them being a flagrant foul. When you get smacked around 8+ times per game by the opposing team and not a single one of them is called flagrant for an entire season you tend to get a little pissy lol. Howard is certainly a candidate because the Magic are horrible without him.

I think D-Rose will win. His numbers aren't blow you away impressive, but he has been great for the Bulls all season. Sure he is a defensive liability and his offensive stats are comparable to Westbrook for OKC, but he has undoubtedly been the leader of the best team in the NBA this season and that should be rewarded.

Based on only value to their team, my top 3 would be:
    1) Howard as the Magic are awful when he isn't playing
    2) James as the Heat have the worse plus/minus in the league when he is off the floor. They are a totally different team when he is out there
    3) D-Rose. He is certainly a gifted athlete and has had a great season, but the Bulls don't fall apart without him. CP3 is frankly better than him, maybe not athletically, but certainly at leadership, passing, etc. If CP3 was on the Bulls they would likely be a better team. You know what...
    3a) Chris Paul. Seriously, does any player in the NBA do more with less? CP3 carried the Hornets to the playoffs this season. How many other starters on that team would be more than a sixth man for the Lakers, Heat, Bullls, etc.?

Based on hype since it is a media award:
    1) D-Rose
    2) Who cares, the media already anointed D-Rose the MVP

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    In Howard's defense, he took the most fouls in the NBA this season, over 600, without a SINGLE one of them being a flagrant foul. When you get smacked around 8+ times per game by the opposing team and not a single one of them is called flagrant for an entire season you tend to get a little pissy lol. Howard is certainly a candidate because the Magic are horrible without him.
    I honestly still believe the new Technical foul rule is incredibly stupid. Although it does ease the whining a little, it also kills off the emotional aspect of the game. It's also really hard to side with refs when they goof up calls at CRITICAL junctures of the game. Anyone see the blatant offensive interference in the OKC game that got them up by 1 in the dying minutes of the fourth? How about the academy award winning flop performance by Paul Pierce against NYK that gave them the ball back, and ultimately the win?

I think D-Rose will win. His numbers aren't blow you away impressive, but he has been great for the Bulls all season. Sure he is a defensive liability and his offensive stats are comparable to Westbrook for OKC, but he has undoubtedly been the leader of the best team in the NBA this season and that should be rewarded.
    I'm hesistant to say this, but I think part of his ridiculous success and sudden growth comes from the system he plays in. I'm hesistant to say that because most players play in a system, they just have to, but Thibs is one of the great defensive minds in our league, and he's turned that Bulls team into a scary defensive powerhouse. Ironically, DRose is a bit of an on-off defender (Taj Gibson? Luol Deng? Those guys are great defenders), but even considering all that, I'd definitely consider him for MVP, just not the runaway favourite everyone and their mother's are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    I honestly still believe the new Technical foul rule is incredibly stupid. Although it does ease the whining a little, it also kills off the emotional aspect of the game. It's also really hard to side with refs when they goof up calls at CRITICAL junctures of the game. Anyone see the blatant offensive interference in the OKC game that got them up by 1 in the dying minutes of the fourth? How about the academy award winning flop performance by Paul Pierce against NYK that gave them the ball back, and ultimately the win?

I'm hesistant to say this, but I think part of his ridiculous success and sudden growth comes from the system he plays in. I'm hesistant to say that because most players play in a system, they just have to, but Thibs is one of the great defensive minds in our league, and he's turned that Bulls team into a scary defensive powerhouse. Ironically, DRose is a bit of an on-off defender (Taj Gibson? Luol Deng? Those guys are great defenders), but even considering all that, I'd definitely consider him for MVP, just not the runaway favourite everyone and their mother's are making it out to be.
    I think the new technical foul rule is fine. As everyone expected the refs also eased up on it a bit as the year went on. The problem is the lack of consistency, Bryant, LeBron, Wade and a few other stars get away with stuff Howard never does. If you're gonna call them, call them consistently.
    The bad calls you mentioned happen, and I agree they were bad calls. Especially the Pierce flop. Thing is, you can't blame the loss on one bad call, NBA refs are the best in the world but they make mistakes, it happens. It just sucks more when they make a bad call late in the fourth.
    Speaking of bad and inconistent calls, the 10second FT violations on Howard were a joke this year. They called them twice, never otherwise, and they never call them on anyone else. All you want is some consistency.

As for MVP, I think Rose definitely deserves it. His POM award for March was a joke, but he had a really good last 2-3 weeks for the season and it pretty much locked up his MVP candidacy. You can easily argue for about 5 other players though, this year's MVP race was the deepest in years. Rose is probably the worst individual defender on that Bulls starting line-up along with Boozer, but he buys into the system and he's improved a lot on that end. He's no Chris Paul though. I'd have given it to Dwight until his 16th tech, then LeBron but Rose swayed the vote for me when he concluded the season by pushing Chicago's offense up a few spots and making it better than league average, as well as locking up the nr 1 seed.

I definitely agree. NYK could've still locked it up even with that call if Melo wasn't brain dead and jacked up two massive 3 bricks and let A'mare work it down low being the hot hand and all.

Still not a big fan of the new tech rule though. I do agree with your call for consistency if they are so adamant about it.

I'm definitely pumped for a series between any of the big three teams out of the East though. Atlanta is also putting up a good fight this year unlike the embarassment that was last year. Orlando could get dangerous but their shooters have to be better than game 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    Don't even get me started on the end of the C's/Knicks game. Melo may have hurt his team with poor play, but lets be honest, the Zebras gave that win to the Celtics. They might as well have gift wrapped it along with their receipts from their bookies and given them to the Celtics for Easter. Lets just pretend for one second that the refs in the NBA actually watch the guy with the ball. How do they miss the pass going to Ray Allen and Garnett completely obliterating the guy who would have been in his face. KG stuck out his leg and his arm to knock him to the floor leaving Ray wide open for an easy three.

That doesn't change the fact that Melo, widely considered one of if not the best one on one players in the game, took an incredibly stupid shot to end the game. Just awful.