SSD or give wiggle room?

So I pretty much have all my parts set out and am just hung up on an SSD. I am expecting to have around 1800 USD including shipping and tax. The parts come up to $1601 (Wi-Fi NIC, Monitor, keyboard and other perifs included)so I am close on space. Should I buy an SSD and cut things real close leaving me without funds to buy games with?

Should I go with a 64GB and install WoW to storage?

Splurge and get a 120 then just play the games I have?

Just suck it up and deal with a WD black 7200 drive?

Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Just get what you've got planned now, and use the WD CB for a while until you have enough money to buy an SSD, by that time maybe better ones will be released.

Deleted
    Personally, I wouldn't go for a SSD smaller than 80gb, so you can fit Windows, WoW + 1 other game you are playing, and possible Office/photoshop as well. Or you could make a raid-setup with regular hdd's, that works too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I built my system a few days ago with a 90gb SSD (84gb in reality, sucks I know -_-)
    Just a few rough values of games that could help you decide.
    I have:
    > Win 7 Home Premium 64bit ~15-17gb with Hibernate/Pagefile disabled
    > Crysis Warhead ~6.7gb
    > Crysis 2 ~7.3gb
    > CoD Black Ops ~8gb
    > Mass Effect 2 ~10gb
    > BFBC2 ~5.7gb
    > Random programs ~2gb

Leaving me with another 26gb to work with, still enough for WoW (but it's not recommended filling up your SSD right up to full). Quite a few games you see

For purely OS + WoW, a 64gb SSD would work but would leave you very little room for the future. 80-100gb is about the sweet spot.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-04-20 at 10:18 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a WD black and while an ssd would be nice, i've yet to need it really.

sure, load times are nice, but i dont load enough stuff to notice the difference, and my computer is always put to sleep at night anyways so start-up is near instant
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Iv have a 128gb SSD in mine, after installing all my programs i need on it and the games i want i have about 20% of that left (however can move WoW over to storage to save 25gb.
    I was tempted to go for a 256 but realised now that its just not needed, but anything less than 128gb i would never be able to use properly.

An SSD was one of the most noticable performance upgrades (speed wise) for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I got a 60 gig SSD for WoW, a tiny page file, and scratch disks for photoshop/premiere/after effects. Works fine for those. Don't really see the point of putting an OS on an SSD when sleep/standby exist.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I got a 60 gig SSD for WoW, a tiny page file, and scratch disks for photoshop/premiere/after effects. Works fine for those. Don't really see the point of putting an OS on an SSD when sleep/standby exist.
    virus scanning my windows disc tasks 30 seconds on my ssd. windows updates are done insanely fast, whenever i need to restart it takes at most 20 seconds from shutdown button to welcome screen. i don't know why you'd not put windows on your ssd.

120gig ssd, windows 7, wow, rift, l4d2, borderlands, and a couple other random games installed. getting close to 90 gigs used but there's definitly some stuff i could get rid of... namely wow :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    virus scanning my windows disc tasks 30 seconds on my ssd. windows updates are done insanely fast, whenever i need to restart it takes at most 20 seconds from shutdown button to welcome screen. i don't know why you'd not put windows on your ssd.

120gig ssd, windows 7, wow, rift, l4d2, borderlands, and a couple other random games installed. getting close to 90 gigs used but there's definitly some stuff i could get rid of... namely wow :P
    While you constantly have Windows running, it's already relatively fast in and of it's self. I'd rather have almost all of my programs open right after the second mouse click. I'm alright with waiting for my computer to turn on, because I rarely restart, and it almost never goes to sleep, because that’s how I roll. I have one speed, I have one gear: GO … I got tiger blood, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    While you constantly have Windows running, it's already relatively fast in and of it's self. I'd rather have almost all of my programs open right after the second mouse click. I'm alright with waiting for my computer to turn on, because I rarely restart, and it almost never goes to sleep, because that’s how I roll. I have one speed, I have one gear: GO … I got tiger blood, man.
    And if you have to restart just go make a bowl of cheerios. Opening applications you are already in go mode and want instants.

Do this: Get the 7200rpm now and once you can afford it, get a 80gb SSD. This gives you plenty of room to put WoW and Win7 on it. Then move your pagefile/hibernate files to the 7200rpm drive. Then you can use the larger, slower HDD to store all your games/programs/files/whatnot on it since there is less $$/GB on a HDD as compared to a SSD.

This gives you the best of both worlds. Once you get the SSD, you get the speed from it, and use the HDD for the cheap storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    And if you have to restart just go make a bowl of cheerios. Opening applications you are already in go mode and want instants.
    Very well put, exactly how I feel. I usually never see my computer start up any way. If I'm starting it up, it's for work, and I've got things to do aside from that, or I'm coming home from school, and I've got homework to procrastinate, or TV to watch, or pop to drink. :O
    (I'm not mocking you either, I just realized that could be taken sarcastically. I want a sarcasm mark on my keyboard...)

Another alternative that is not too expensive would be a WD Velociraptor. 10,000 rpm, built in heat sink and if you go with a model above the 300g they run SATA 6 Gb/s if your motherboard has it. I picked one up brand new from ebay for less than $200 and it works great. Fast, efficient and quiet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alzagoth View Post
    Another alternative that is not too expensive would be a WD Velociraptor. 10,000 rpm, built in heat sink and if you go with a model above the 300g they run SATA 6 Gb/s if your motherboard has it. I picked one up brand new from ebay for less than $200 and it works great. Fast, efficient and quiet.
    Meh, I'd take an SSD over the Velociraptor any day.

I'd take a RAID array of short stroked/partitioned Cav Blacks currently, especially for frapsing ;P