Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

"Too old" for video games?

Even though video games have become more mainstream as a hobby, there's still a stigma against adults playing them, with some people thinking you're a manchild for still playing video games as an adult.

Are you ever "too old" for video games?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not in general. Some games may require some fast eye/hand coordination and that will decrease as you age. But there are still tons of games old people over 80 can still enjoy and play well.

I have heard of WoW players who still play who are in their 70's.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea that people can outgrow gaming is every bit as stupid as the thought of people outgrowing movies, music, etc.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you're fulfilling your real-world responsibilities and taking care of yourself, I don't think you're ever too old for gaming. Sure, things may get a bit busy as you get older and you'll naturally have less time and energy to play, but I know plenty of adults that still do and lead successful lives and careers, and even have families. The GMs of my old WoW guild were a husband/wife with two teenagers and decent careers- very normal people.

Not every adult gamer is a Mountain Dew-chugging, Dorito-stained basement dweller/manchild. Screw stereotypes. Unfortunately, I still live with my parents, but I am employed full-time and pay them rent plus a chunk of the bills, and I cook/clean. Also, Doritos are awful and Sprite is better by a longshot.

I'm nearly 28 and I still play as much as I can, although I have withdrawn entirely from MMOs due to wanting to focus what gaming time I have on single-player titles- that's another thing in that, like all media, your tastes will change as you age.
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2019-12-30 at 08:47 AM.

Many people think games in general and anything animated is for children only. That's their opinion. Feel free to correct them when they try to tell you want you shouldn't play or watch. It's their loss.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

My mother is 66 years old and she plays video games. Mostly WoW and Modded Minecraft.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Even though video games have become more mainstream as a hobby, there's still a stigma against adults playing them, with some people thinking you're a manchild for still playing video games as an adult.

Are you ever "too old" for video games?
    "Too old" is what boring old people say when they're upset you can be an adult and still have fun. Fuck anyone who tells me how I may or may not enjoy myself.

Who gives a rat's ass what others think, if you like video games then play away. It is no different to any other past time hobby...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    My mother is 66 years old and she plays video games. Mostly WoW and Modded Minecraft.
    My mother's a religious nut that thinks WoW is satanic because of the fantasy... :V

5+ Year Old Account
    No.
    Games like Dark Souls, GTA, The Witcher aren't catered to children.
    Video games being for kids is something that'll die out with the generation that keeps repeating that nonsense.

Never to old, plenty of games made for non children.
    Do you hear the voices too?

It's like anything. As long as its not a problem then its not a problem. Sure, some people ignore thier responsibilities because of gaming. Just like they do with a lot of other things. It's just a newer thing to shit on people over because it's a bigger hobby into adulthood than it once was. Nothing to really be surprised over.

I don't think you're ever too old for anything that you enjoy. I still watch He-Man sometimes.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

I've been playing computer games since 1979.. I'm 50 now, have grandchildren and still enjoy gaming...

Although i unsubbed from WoW due to financial reasons, i still play other games.. Mainly things like modded minecraft or factory style games which test the old gray matter..

Also own a switch to play pokemon with my 2 grown up sons (1 has kids of his own)

I'm working in IT, so playing doesn't have that stigma.
    You usually hear this from:
    1. people who don't understand gaming; funny enough, these are usually people who watch TV / Netflix - yet it's very hard for them to understand that it's about the same thing, only interactive
    2. people around you who think you spend too much time on it or consider you're not prioritizing important stuff in order to play. For example, you don't go out to play with the kids cause you want to play a game.

The last point is a bit of an issue. If you're shirking responsibilities or basically wanting to stay all day at home, not working, just playing, you are a manchild and need to grow up into being useful. But I'm assuming we're not talking about this here, but mostly about the first case - with people not understanding that playing games is a valid form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Indeed, Mine's around the same age, though mostly prefers mobile games, and reading a lot.
    I've also played UO and had a few pensioners in the guild. They were always good fun and helpful.

Im 37 years old and gaming is still a big part of my life. Gaming is both great in Long and small session and allthough i have a full time job. I think i wont enjoy many game like for example path of exile that require many ours if i only had 5-10 hours a week.

My Russian friend once told me this very refined truth:

You do not stop playing video games because you got old. You get old because you stopped playing video games.
    Remember this and you will be young forever!

Yes, of course it's for kids. When did you start playing video games? When you were a kid. You're still playing cause you never grew up. Adults don't have time to play video games.

It's just a form of entertainment.
    You also don't get too old for books, movies, watching a series or similar stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is bullshit, like as well saying, that adults can't play lego blocks or watching anime.