Windows 7 32 bit issue

ok the small problem i have is

1. My computer reads i have 4gb RAM running and 1 gb Graphics RAM ( i know 32 can only utilize 4gb's all together but bear with me)

2. I look in the control panel under system blah blah and it says only 2 gb of the RAM is usable and i have no idea why it can only use 2 and not 3gb of the ram.

I may have a thoery but not to certain if it's right and yea I have 2 sticks of 2 gig RAM i nthere atm do i have to take them out and switch for 1-2gig and 1-1 gig??

Any help would be awesome guys and i know its a really stupid question but yea.

Thanks

If you go to your BIOS how much memory does it show that you have installed?

1GB graphics onboard, or in a card?

its says 2008 usable memory

and im a huge idiot i found the Code to my Windows home Premium 64 bit but i cant seem to find the stupid disk anyone know where i can download Windows 7 Home premium i checked microsoft but that didnt seem to help me.

and i have a 1gb Graphics card soo dedicated.

Forgot to add i have used to Code for a different hard drive soo not sure if i am able to do it again for this one.
    Last edited by Wetyy; 2011-04-23 at 05:46 PM.

You can download windows 7 from a torrent site and just use your code.

32 bit only allows something like 3.76GB of RAM to be usable in total. If you have an onboard graphics chip it sucks it's memory out of your main system memory. But, as you said, you have a card with dedicated memory. If it is only showing you have 2 gigs usable, try moving your memory sticks to different DIMM slots on your motherboard. It could be that one memory stick is corrupted or non-functioning, or one of the DIMMs is non-functioning. Most motherboards have 4 RAM slots now-a-days so it shouldn't be much of a problem unless it's an older machine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkelementz View Post
    32 bit only allows something like 3.76GB of RAM to be usable in total. If you have an onboard graphics chip it sucks it's memory out of your main system memory. But, as you said, you have a card with dedicated memory.
    32-bit Windows can only allocate 4GB (2^32 bytes) of address space. This includes BIOS, VRAM (dedicated or on-board), and several other things. With a 1GB video card, someone would see 3GB or less available.

OP: How about a screenshot of the performance tab of your task manager? That would give us some more information.

If the BIOS says that he only has 2GB of RAM installed then even with the 64bit OS he would still have the same problem. As Darkelementz said he should move around the memory sticks on the board to see if one of the DIMMs isn't working or the actual RAM is faulty.

http://img853.imageshack.us/i/taskmanager.png/

That should be it.

I won't be able to respond for like 8 hours going to sleep (4:30am here)

again thanks in advance

I like how your Start Bar pop-up conveniently covers the information Cilraaz was likely to be after.

May want to snap another.

Silly question but is your OS by any chance Windows 7 Starter edition?

shit big sorries baout that it was like 4 am and i wasnt thinking straight

http://img830.imageshack.us/content_...ng&via=mupload

its widnos 7 ultimete 32 bit (friend gave it to me after my old HD hit the shits) thats why im ggrr'ed atm cause i cant find the disk and having to use this HD soo yea sorry for any inconvience and again i really really love all the help .
    Last edited by Wetyy; 2011-04-24 at 05:02 AM.

I'm almost 95% sure that a windows activation code is not tethered to a specific bit allocation, so you can use the code to install 64 bit from a torrent somewhere as well as from microsoft's website. Your system was showing a total of 2007MB which means that most likely, as I stated previously, one of your memory sticks is either non-functioning or the DIMM slot is inoperative or malfunctioning. If you have 4GB and ultimate 7, I am guessing you have either 1x4GB stick or 2x2GB sticks. If the latter, switch their positions with other DIMM slots (if available). Switching to 64 bit will not fix this problem as it isn't necessarily a software problem but 99.9% sure it is a hardware problem.

http://www.theallineed.com/computers/05021104.htm
    ^ Follow that in its entirety and you should find your answer, although steps 12-14 wont help solve anything

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    If you want to reinstall it for 64 bit and don't have your product key, this program is freeware and will look it up through the registry