10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    Guessing forums are down, won't lemme sign in :P
    https://account.guildwars2.com/login work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    yeah, i can get in there.

the edit account - download client - security part

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What is the necessity of any of that information to the design of tier and non-tiered skill and perk systems?

We can have such a discussion of systems regardless of game, wholly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    All unnecessary information.
    one word: context.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Little video on the "Trait Gate": http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/trait-gate/

I giggled.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, i can get in there.

the edit account - download client - security part
    grats on your key man

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    grats on your key man
    thanks ...

one word: context.
    Context to what? In what manner would the information such as exact % of damage the 4th trait in line 5 of the Thief profession have to a discussion on staggered [or progressive] access?

Would I need to know the exact XP amount of a mob to speak on the nature of character progression via an arbitrary set of values?

#s are transitory. Those are the aspects not worth discussing in a beta.

Oh wait.. it uses my GW1 info since i linked the account.

but.. that email doesnt exist anymore >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Context to what? In what manner would the information such as exact % of damage the 4th trait in line 5 of the Thief profession have to a discussion on staggered [or progressive] access?

Would I need to know the exact XP amount of a mob to speak on the nature of character progression via an arbitrary set of values?

#s are transitory. Those are the aspects not worth discussing in a beta.
    the issue is that people are making declarative statements based on nothing but speculation. "OMG, tiers have destroyed my build" or "i didn't like tiered talents in WoW, so i don't like them in GW2". how can people discuss the effect of a system that is still unknown, substantively? can you actually give examples of how GW2's implementation of tiered traits is bad? if you can then i will concede, if not then all the "discussion" just amounts to fluff. come Friday and your playstyle is completely borked then give feedback, at least you would know what was changed and how it affected the game as a whole and not just speculate that it could be borked because "tiers are inherently just bad".

There's also the idea that there may be other things implemented that affect the traits that we don't know about yet...or these trait tiers may be established in such a way that is not standard.
    We simply don't know.
    Sure...we can have a general discussion on tiers vs non-tiers...but it's just as useless to the GW2 context for the same reason: lack of info.
    Personally I dislike the idea of tiers...but I don't know how it's implemented or whether there's anything complementary to them, or even Anet's reasoning.
    So...yh, as I've said 20 times...reserving judgement.

the issue is that people are making declarative statements based on nothing but speculation. "OMG, tiers have destroyed my build" or "i didn't like tiered talents in WoW, so i don't like them in GW2".
    Noted. But isn't that ultimately, 'whatevercity'? Are there not always chicken littles?

As I said above, those are the things that can be tweaked. Even post-beta, MMOs by their nature are transitory.

how can people discuss the effect of a system that is still unknown, substantively? can you actually give examples of how GW2's implementation of tiered traits is bad?
    I don't think it's a bad change personally.

Though I could reason forcing players who know their intended kit beforehand to take skills/talents they have no need or desire for is a less than awesome quality. Sure.

What use is Immobilize Skill #46 to me as a player if I never will use such a skill? Why ask that I invest skill points [time & effort] into gaining skills that are less than ideal for my intentions? Even more so, why ask this of me when previously I was unrestricted by such conventions?

Now answer me this; what value is knowing the duration of Immobilize Skill #46 in trait line C, tier 3 to me in the above?

I hope you can change your email and the email i'll send stuff to soon.

glad my PW is what it usually is. lol i won't forget it

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    I hope with this sucky new system , they will be able to tone down the burst of some classes
    (and thats their intetion)

Warrior vs warrior = less than 3 secs
    Assuming the trait numbers stay the same as they are in the video, the new trait system would only prevent him from taking the major trait in arms that removes movement impairing effects when using a healing skill.

Which leads me to the conclusion that none of the three build calculators of which I know have the trait numbers/positions fully correct with BWE1.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I feel the tiered system helps prevent blatantly-broken/misguided builds.
    Doubt it. No matter how much you try to mitigate stupidity, players will find a way to do something dumb. You can't prevent stupid. You can only teach it away. A better system to teach players about traits would be to give a few free resets so they can make mistakes, learn what doesn't work, and try something else.

Oh wait.. it uses my GW1 info since i linked the account.

but.. that email doesnt exist anymore >.>
    It does that to me to, still sends emails to my real email address.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    Doubt it. No matter how much you try to mitigate stupidity, players will find a way to do something dumb. You can't prevent stupid. You can only teach it away. A better system to teach players about traits would be to give a few free resets so they can make mistakes, learn what doesn't work, and try something else.
    Why bother, when you can go into the Mists and play around with trait builds all you want?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    Assuming the trait numbers stay the same as they are in the video, the new trait system would only prevent him from taking the major trait in arms that removes movement impairing effects when using a healing skill..
    At the first BW1 , 10 points into arms gave u a trait , that when u crit , u got a stackable might
    Based on Luna calculator atm , this have changed to only when u crit with greatswords (Momentous Greatsword)

They have a dilima atm : a) dump down anything like this , in the name of PvE-PvP balance . where some traits are exclusive only for limited weapons ,
    b) or try to find an other solution , like wasting more points in 1 <<spec>> u unlock better things (which is kinda sucky system)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    At the first BW1 , 10 points into arms gave u a trait , that when u crit , u got a stackable might
    Based on Luna calculator atm , this have changed to only when u crit with greatswords (Momentous Greatsword
    That was always only true for Greatsword, AFAIK.

Might, btw, isn't so powerful as you think - at least not one stack.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Ahhhh ur are true about the greatsword Drake
    Sorry

Deleted
    I do not understand the reaction of some people. Maybe i watched a different video ? The guy clearly says multiple times that he is playing on the developers server and that the developers push up to 10 builds a day, to see what works and what doesn't. To take anything you saw in that video as granted is silly. Unless there is a blog about it, to actually confirm anything, there is nothing that should get you worked up. When the BWE2 comes and its still there and you actually get to test its limitations, you will be able to have a valid opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solcor View Post
    I do not understand the reaction of some people. Maybe i watched a different video ? The guy clearly says multiple times that he is playing on the developers server and that the developers push up to 10 builds a day, to see what works and what doesn't. To take anything you saw in that video as granted is silly. Unless there is a blog about it, to actually confirm anything, there is nothing that should get you worked up. When the BWE2 comes and its still there and you actually get to test its limitations, you will be able to have a valid opinion.
    Who says anybody is worked up? People were discussing the pros/cons of tiered traits.

In addition, believe it or not, nobody who reads the last few pages will wake up with leprosy tomorrow.