Deleted
    Only when you're AFK Mif

Quote Originally Posted by John Zoidberg View Post
    How long are GW2 names put on hold after you delete the character? Are they instantly released for anyone to be used? Or is it more like WoW where no one can use them for like 24 hours?

I ask in the interest of creating 5 random characters as fast as possible at launch to reserve the names I want, then deleting my main so I can spend some extended time in character creation.
    That is the plan for everyone. Names are held for 24 hours. ArenaNet said that you can quickly reserve your names then delete those characters and recreate them at your leisure.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-08-23 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

/10charr

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 02:03 AM ----------

They have 24 (48?) hour hold time on them.
    Mif is usually on the ball on news stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilut View Post
    Yeah in my opinion it's vital to have people who doesnt like the game chime in without being attacked for having a different opinion. News tend to reach this forum slightly slower than other places though
    Not with Mif around
    Quote Originally Posted by John Zoidberg View Post
    How long are GW2 names put on hold after you delete the character? Are they instantly released for anyone to be used? Or is it more like WoW where no one can use them for like 24 hours?

I ask in the interest of creating 5 random characters as fast as possible at launch to reserve the names I want, then deleting my main so I can spend some extended time in character creation.
    You have 24 hours to reuse the name before it gets released

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Cool, thanks guys

Can't wait!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    MMOC has been a WoW website for years, I don't...
    That's precisely my beef with it. :P

I've always felt it needs to be the site that champions all MMOs, not a site that worships "the champion" of the genre. The latter means that the site will have to completely change focus the day that WoW is not #1. Admittedly might not happen still for a while when they're not unarguably the king, but the industry is starting to spread it's gamers across more and more MMOs.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 11:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    In retrospect, I feel I should have planned a little better for GW2 launch. Usually I have a game or two ready to dive into whenever I reach my goals in an MMO. For example- clearing all of the newest raid tier might mean I start to plan out how to tackle a play-through of The Witcher or some threshold in Diablo 3/Path of Exile I wish to gain.

But I didn't really plan anything leading up to Guild Wars 2. So now I am bouncing aimlessly/casually between some smaller games. The wait is driving me insane. These stress tests are not helping in slaking my desire to grind some arbitrary but quantifiable goal either.

The next 44 hours are the most excruciating I have ever had to bear.
    I've had FFX and AC2 to fill my time, mostly.

Expected to be done with FFX by now, honestly, but I got to the ultimate weapon that involves dodging 200 lightning bolts, and I'm not sure I have the patience for it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 04:12 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    44? Are you not going to be there at the launch in 36/39 hours?
    Of course. I ran all my weekly errands yesterday and changed my sleep schedule. I will be awake from 7-8pm Friday till the servers open.

I've had FFX and AC2 to fill my time, mostly.
    Wait. There is an Asheron's Call 2 private server? Or is this a shortening for some other game. I am skeptical a private server for AC2 is actually up and running.

Is it time locked if so?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-23 at 04:13 PM.

Of course. I ran all my weekly errands yesterday and changed my sleep schedule. I will be awake from 7-8pm Friday till the servers open.
    Oh, so calculation failure

Wait. There is an Asheron's Call 2 private server? Or is this a shortening for some other game. I am skeptical a private server for AC2 is actually up and running.

Is it time locked if so?
    I'm sure he means Assassins Creed 2

And...time locked? What is this, Doctor Who?
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-08-23 at 04:15 PM.

Deleted
    Does it matter? He wont be awake once the servers open from what I can read from his post

Quote Originally Posted by Pilut View Post
    Does it matter? He wont be awake once the servers open from what I can read from his post
    No, she said she would be. And a little light jesting never hurt anyone
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-08-23 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fencers sounded so very excited about something. I get the feeling she is now crushed.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I can't take the chance they will/might open the servers early. I am simply not sleeping Friday evening through Saturday.

Never played those games.

And...time locked? What is this, Doctor Who?
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...opic_id=173099

I need to ask a favor of someone with the headstart and is on Desolation, to reserve a name for me. Send me a message if you're up for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant to post this before but fell asleep

Text strings datamined from the current build:
    Mobile authentication
    String in the exe: You've enabled and linked the <i>Guild Wars 2</i> Authenticator to your account. Please use the app to authenticate this log-in.

Email authentication
    String in the exe: You've enabled e-mail authentication for this account. Since you're logging in from a new IP address, you're required to authenticate using the e-mail that has been sent to you. Please click the link provided to authenticate this log-in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm, email authentication? Not a bad concept. More layers of security!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Hrm, email authentication? Not a bad concept. More layers of security!
    The e-mail authentication that they had running in the last Stress Test was a bit of a pain in the arse to get set up, could be nice though. But then...

dat mobile...
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The e-mail authentication that they had running in the last Stress Test was a bit of a pain in the arse to get set up, could be nice though. But then...

dat mobile...
    Would trying to log in with no event trigger it..?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The e-mail authentication that they had running in the last Stress Test was a bit of a pain in the arse to get set up, could be nice though.
    Tell me about it. Firefox broke the first authentication e-mail, had to use Internet Explorer. Then it took me a number of tries before I found the miniscule "Remember this adress" button

I can't take the chance they will/might open the servers early. I am simply not sleeping Friday evening through Saturday.
    Well even if they don't open them early, you've got 24+12+3 (going from 40 minutes ago when the 44 hours was posted) = 39 So at worst it'll be 39, barring any log-in issues...44 would put it at early saturday morning (5 pdt/8 edt)