10+ Year Old Account
    so after playing the demo and deciding its the best game ever, iv come to the conclusion that once they implement real content(PVP,dungeons, more dynamic events,personal story ect) that GW2 will indeed steal my soul harder then wow ever did or could have VIVA LA WARRIOR
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziga View Post

Idk if this has been posted but it has an interview with collin at comic con, no new info really, but a look at a lot of elementalist combat which looks amazing
    **drool**

i just can't wait to make an ele damnit, though the number of spells though all the possible combinations (affinities + weapons) just looks scary atm - not a bad point though. will take quite a while to "master" (if it's even possible) all that.

So, apparently, in a recent interview here, at around 8:46 in, Adam Kovic accidentally says, before immediately stopping himself, "cleric", while discussing professions.

Slip of the tongue? Completely random blurt out? Think about it, forums over at GW2 Guru are having a hell of a discussion about it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    So, apparently, in a recent interview here, at around 8:46 in, Adam Kovic accidentally says, before immediately stopping himself, "cleric", while discussing professions.

Slip of the tongue? Completely random blurt out? Think about it, forums over at GW2 Guru are having a hell of a discussion about it.
    a lot of mesmer fans will be disappointed if this is the 8th class

There will be no "healing" class, so it can't be a traditional cleric.

But regardless, unless some major changes have happened internally, it's not going to be a cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Cleric doesn't really make sense to me, the Guardian might as well have been called a cleric.
    I think that's what makes it such a brain-scratcher. Out of nowhere, while just seemingly a normal interview, Kovic blurts out a previously NEVER heard of, or possible even considered profession by the GW2 community.

Just my opinion, but you don't make slip of tongues that big, unless something's up.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    There will be no "healing" class, so it can't be a traditional cleric.

But regardless, unless some major changes have happened internally, it's not going to be a cleric.
    True, there are no "set" healer classes in GW2, so of course logic says no cleric.

But when all is said and done, he said it. Still nobody knows what it really means, but he said it, he said cleric.

Judging on how new this interview is, I can't wait to see how this turns out
    Last edited by Underskilled; 2011-07-25 at 07:09 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's what makes it such a brain-scratcher. Out of nowhere, while just seemingly a normal interview, Kovic blurts out a previously NEVER heard of, or possible even considered profession by the GW2 community.

Just my opinion, but you don't make slip of tongues that big, unless something's up.
    definitly have to make some changes since no dedicated healer, but it IS still one of the classes from GW1, so its a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    definitly have to make some changes since no dedicated healer, but it IS still one of the classes from GW1, so its a possibility
    There wasn't a "cleric" in GW1, they cleverly called it a monk! It makes it more unique >.>

Idd, and on GW2 forums there is ALOT of people that just says "No it can't be because of *Add fact*". And after that the threads are closed. The whole "mesmer" mindset is quite dull so if it isn't the mesmer I'll be happy

10+ Year Old Account
    Cleric doesn't really make sense to me, the Guardian might as well have been called a cleric.
    well thats not really true seeing as wow has both priest and paladins so id guess a cleric would be a ranged version of a guardian that wears cloth
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

This is from gw2 guru post on Comics con, posted by Leontes:

Comic Con 2011 Hands-On Q&A with Leontes!
    Hey guys, I already posted some stuff in other threads about what I saw at the Alienware Hummer yesterday, but my findings were pretty incomplete due to just being in sheer awe of how awesome the game is in general, lol.

So, I'll be going back tomorrow morning, Sunday July 24, to do some hardcore gameplay and mechanics testing!

ITT, post your random serious mechanics questions and I'll do my best to address as many of them as I can tomorrow morning. Basically bring me anything that we can use to help flesh out the wiki, like new Thief Initiative costs, etc.

If it's anything like yesterday, nobody will show up again and I should get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted gameplay. Fingers crossed!

Ask away!

*update* answers!

Quote:
    I’m BACK! With the help of Leah Rivera from the Content Design Team at ArenaNet (Personal Story and Dynamic Events), I was able to either playtest or answer many of the questions you all had. If you can come with any other questions I might have randomly been able to answer for you in my 8 or so hours of playtesting these past two days, send me a PM or post it in this thread and we’ll see if somebody can help you out.

1. Strafe/run casting animations: It’s as you can expect; if you have a 180 degree view of something, you can fire a ranged or melee attack at it, like WoW to give an example. Moves that are determinate based on your current facing orientation, like Engineer Flamethrower’s 1-shot, are literally based on your frontal cone, meaning you DO have to S-walk if you want to move away from something and keep it in the cone.

2. Detailed ground targeting examination; Ground targeting feels like a dream. You can still pan the camera with right-click hold down, and movement is the same. Also, there are a few different ways to fire them off;
    1) First, you can do the obvious and click the skill with the mouse, hover over the battlefield and left-click again
    2) Second, you can press the hotkey for the skill (like 2 or 7), hover over the battle field and left-click to fire it off
    3) Third, and in my opinion something EVERY game should have, you can press the hotkey for the move and the targeting circle is already placed where your mouse is, and pressing the hotkey button AGAIN will cause you to fire it there.
    Using option 3, you can preset where you want a ground-targeted AoE to go before you press any hotkeys, and then double tap the hotkey to fire it exactly where you need it. But yes, camera panning and movement is still perfect while the targeting circle is available. Great question!

3. What’s up with energy?; In the demo, I asked Leah about energy, and she said essentially what we were expecting, that the game needed a long-term resource. When I showed her that the Energy Potions have like a 3 second cooldown and fill 60% of the bar she exclaimed “OH no, they definitely have a longer cooldown, that’s totally changed” so basically Energy isn’t as meaningless as I had first thought.

4. Gamepads?; Leah said there weren’t any plans for this, but was happy that I brought up your concern. I think this was one of the things she ended up writing down on her list of things to address to the dev team.

5. Did the Warrior mechanic change?; Nope. Still awesome.

6. How about Steal?; Steal now gives you a free Shadow Step to get to the target before Stealing! Shadow Step range is displayed in this crappy photo:http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7889/photo596q.jpg

7. Test the Ranger!; The pets are kind of like WoW pets but a little dumber. It’s really hard to keep them alive when;
    1) In the demo, they start at an evolution level of zero, and therefore don’t have any sweet benefits
    2) Certain enemies like River Drake do a channeled fire move that eats pets alive unless you force them to run back to you. They have WoW-like commands like Attack My Target, Return To Me, Stay, etc., but they won’t be defensive or actively dodge anything.
    3) Leah said that monster aggro is, for the most part proximity based, so your pet will make grand attempts to tank everything for you while Heal As One is hardly good enough to make this a reality, lol.
    Ultimately for Ranger, I still like the weapon skills they have available, but the class really is about the pet, and without the pet being in tip-top shape we’re just not going to know much about them yet. Sorry

8. I’ll leave Palmtree to answer the Engineer questions; he came to a lot of the same conclusions that I did

9. Health of Turrets; Rifle Turret- 1008 Health, Thumper Turret- 2008. I came to these conclusions by using the Detonate skills; a –X red number flashed across the screen for each other. Also, Rifle Turret shoots for about 163 at a fairly regular pace, 312ish when using the Automatic Shot move, and the Thumper Turret AoEs for about 110 at a sloooooooooow pace, and when you use the overdrive on it, it does the launch-back on the next pulse, meaning you can’t really drop it as a reactionary tool when people get next to it

10. Changes to Pets?; As before, didn’t see much

11. Test Glue Gun/Overcharge Shot and directional dynamics; All pop-back moves work like this: While you don’t necessarily have to be facing your target completely (as addressed in question #1), whenever you use a popback move like Glue Gun, Overcharge Shot, Retreating Shot, you will ALWAYS roll/jump backwards from the direction your facing, so you don’t always go AWAY from your target. This is cool because you have a lot of control over the popback.

12. Sorry Arkonn, I don’t have a good camera nor do I have 3 hands

13. Death Shroud abilities in detail; You got it! I didn’t really get damage values or anything because with Death Shroud having a limited duration it was annoying to datamine, but here’s what the moves DO:

Deathly Swarm – Does damage to up to 3 targets, and if hits, removes 3 conditions from you <- Basically ties in with Death Shroud being your panic button when you’re getting overwhelmed, as you don’t take real-world damage while in it, and this gives you a way of spamming your conditions off so you’re healthier when you come back into your body
    Dark Path – Same old ground targeted blinding charge
    Doom – The old 2s Fear ability, has a short cast time
    Life Transfer – Gives you 5% of your Life Force meter (doesn’t drain life for your living character or anything like that) and is CHANNELED, so you can suck tons of Life Force out of a group of enemies as long as they stay near you and don’t interrupt you, keeping yourself in Death Shroud longer. Plus you probably just Blinded them so that buys you more time.

I probably should have gotten you the Downed moves, too, huh… crap. Well, they go downed like everybody else, and Death Shroud does NOT automatically activate when you hit 0 health.

14. Every skill tooltip ever!- You know, I really started to do this, On_Slaught, but I’m an idiot and my effing laptop died right when I got there because I forgot to charge it. I started with the Thief and got everything they could do down on paper, from traits to abilities to underwater moves and whatnot, but that whole deal took me 40 minutes. With 7 playable classes, it just wasn’t a feasible thing to do Sorry to disappoint but hopefully I can make Thief fans happy

15. Find out about Guardian 2handed skills; They didn’t have a Greatsword or Hammer available, but the Staff was usable, and the 2-skill didn’t have the fun Detonate ability any more. The spread on the 1 shot is gigantic though. Almost all of the Guardian moves are really big, blue and flashy as all hell, especially doing a setup like Sword/Shield. The Shield 4/5 moves are gorgeous, and Zealout’s Defense and even the 1-button attack are awesome to look at.

16. Underwater Engineer stuff (especially Flamethrower! Thanks to cuth! ); Sorry cuth, but nearly every kit is NOT usable underwater, and in the demo, I couldn’t use Rifle/Thumper Turret or anything either. I did find out, however, that when you drop into the water, not only do you switch weapons to Harpoon or Spear or whatever, but that your utilities and healing moves change, too, so basically you have a completely different underwater bar.

17. Try to jump off cliff and aim for face, also Thief underwater, Spear and Harpoon; Didn’t jump off any cliffs, but here’s the Thief Underwater moves:

Spear- Poison-Tip Strike- 43 damage, 3s Poison for 246 damage
    Flanking Strike- 2I, 165 damage, swim fast around the target
    Shadow Assault- 3I, basically a standstill and channel move where you hit over and over for like 243 a shot
    And… What the hell? I didn’t write down the 4 and 5 moves?! Crap!
    Harpoon Gun- Piercing Shot- 48 damage, 2s Bleed
    Deluge- 2I, 4 attacks for 65 each
    Escape- 3I, 202 damage, swim backwards
    Disabling Shot- 3I, 156 damage, 5s Cripple
    Smoke Shot- 4I, blind targets in a line dealing damage (I think it was like 200ish), then you can “detonate” the shot to Shadow Step to its location. It didn’t really have an animation and kind of didn’t work very well.

18. Object interaction via the F key or otherwise, and pickaxe models; Pressing the F key automatically turned you towards it, and starts you reviving or greeting or pickaxing anything. The Foraging/Logging items or whatever all have their own item slots in the inventory, so Leah somewhat confirmed that there will be different kinds of pickaxes, yes. Thanks, wouldn’t have thought to check that.

19. On_Slaught declaring me a hero and/or god for doing this; I’m sorry I failed you

20. Necromancer trait line, Thief trait line, hell everybody’s trait line; Vorsakan, I totally missed that part you were talking about I know that there weren’t any traits to slot into it, but I missed out on getting you the name of the line, my bad man. I would have known to check if my stupid laptop didn’t die, cuz I would have had WiFi to check the thread

21. Summon Water Elemental Elite; no elites available in the demo

22. Stealth mechanics and the damage flash, also, Sylvari/Asura? (in one of the DE’s I saw Asura NPCs, they look awesome ); K, Stealth was kind of weird. It looked like you flashed when you took damage, but it also looked like you got broken out of stealth, too. I couldn’t “get poisoned and use Hide in Shadows” because Hide in Shadows gave me a “Can’t use that while in combat” Error message, and the Thief heal Shadow Refuge stealthed me, but monsters could still see me somehow and just hit me out of it. It was weird.
    Also, YES TO SYLVARI AND ASURA:
    Sylvari NPC: http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/453/photo594.jpg
    Asura NPC: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9761/photo595b.jpg
    And, I mentioned in passing to Leah that I was aware of Sylvari coming up at Gamescom. The first thing she said to me was, “Yeah, Sylvari AND Asura will be playable at Gamescom.” To which I said, “WHAAAAAT?! BOTH OF THEM?” She quickly fixed her statement and said she might be mistaken, and that only Sylvari will be ready. Lol.

23. I will test the crap out of Steal/Initiative; Check the Master of Shadows thread for my post here for the Thief Community; http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...postcount=1424

24. Gmr Leon; I don’t know if I start anywhere near Divinity’s Reach or those places in this particular build, but if I do I’ll make a beeline on one of my plays to try and hit up Vigil Keep and Dominion of Winds, no promises there though ; I asked Leah about Divinity’s Reach and she said that it and Lion’s Arch weren’t approachable in the demo, but I was able to get to Vigil Keep through a waypoint. There wasn’t much of anything there, and since she’s a Personal Story and Dynamic Event gal I asked her what level the Durmand Priory/Vigil/Order of Whispers stuff starts and she wouldn’t tell me >

25. Naming conventions; For all those wondering, you cannot put capitals inside words, you can’t use periods or punctuation, and you can’t use funky letters like ä and whatnot. I asked Leah if they were gonna have people policing a name policy so we don’t see Charr Engineers named Fat Bong Rip running around, and she’s not sure on that one, lol. Also, no definitive stuff on name reservation yet, but she did say that the shop will have stuff like extra character slots and whatnot.

26. Options screen was very limited but I’ll look for key binding; As of right now, you cannot do things like SHIFT+Q or ALT+SPACEBAR for keybinding, but I told Leah that a lot of us love using those sorts of keybinds for our MMOs, mostly because it’s a left-hand comfort thing and gave her some examples of how it would make my life easier to play with them, and she wrote this down on her list Hopefully I had a hand in making that a reality, lol

27. Again I won’t have a lot of video, but MAYBE I can take a small crappy video and youtube it for you, Meyatoe;
    Well, I didn’t get a chance to video/pic it, but the casting animation for it is beast, and it lasts a while. You know, stuff like Wall of Deflection and Engineer Flamethrower Napalm Wall have really great effects, but better yet, the white rectangle that sits on the floor is a great indicator of what the move is actually doing. Looks real sharp.

28. Inventory slot information;
    i.e. miniatures, how many slots, bank slots, crafting, trash drops, looting; I told Leah that some of us loving carting around tons of miniatures and whatever, and cited WoW as a reference where you can store all of your Pets and Mounts in a separate tab so you can take it all with you, and I think she said she’d bring that up to the team. As far as inventory slots go, I had a “Starter Backpack” with 20 slots and 2 bags with 20 slots each. I guess as time goes on in the game we’ll get bigger bags and backpacks, so inventory space shouldn’t be that big of a deal, especially considering the only things we’ll need to cart around are lots of weapons anyway.

29. Chat interface/group interface, sorting, finding, chat rooms; I talked to her about chat channels and she put it on her list of things to address.

30. Shadow Step range/Infiltrator’s Arrow range; See the aforementioned screenshot about Steal, and yes Infiltrator’s Arrow is still very limited. I asked Leah “Whyyyy” and she said “Because it’s a shortbow! That’s all you get”. Lol.

Again a huge thanks to Leah Rivera for coming over, talking to me and answering my endless questions. She seemed excited that I was from Guru and was happy to answer any questions off the list and generally hang out and make comments on the game. I learned a lot more than I just posted here so PLEASE ask me more so I can put more out there.

Also, if you happen to randomly read this thread, madame, that was a Venti Sweetened Tazo Passion Fruit-Green Iced Tea Lemonade. Haha

Check the Thief thread in the next few days for new Initiative costs on all the moves (except Underwater Spear 4 and 5 because I’m an idiot, lol) and more thoughts on Steal and Initiative in general.

"Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Is it me, or were there a hell of a lot of possible slip ups and hints the past few days?
    Near future/New Year
    Last class will be "controversial" (not a slip up, a deliberate hint)
    Sylvari AND Asura playable at Gamescom
    Cleric

Cleric would make sense of the controversial comment. Though it wasn't terribly clear. Hmmm. Trying (and failing) to not get excited here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Deleted
    Something is just making me hope it isn't a Mesmer... Would be awesome to have yet another new class, or a heavily modified version of an old one.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree on that. Add on top of that the first two things you think of when you hear Cleric: 1) healer, 2) heavy armor. The last profession is a light armor class and there are no dedicated healers...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    25. Naming conventions; For all those wondering, you cannot put capitals inside words, you can’t use periods or punctuation, and you can’t use funky letters like ä and whatnot. I asked Leah if they were gonna have people policing a name policy so we don’t see Charr Engineers named Fat Bong Rip running around, and she’s not sure on that one, lol. Also, no definitive stuff on name reservation yet, but she did say that the shop will have stuff like extra character slots and whatnot.
    that sad, now i have to add random letters & stuff if someone takes name i want =(

I have a question and I had no time to read all 200 pages to get my answer, sorry if it's allready answered.

Here is the question:

I heard something like the zones in GW2 won't be connected physically to each other. Let's say you're on X zone and you want to go nearby Y zone but when you reach the end of X zone, the nearby Y zone is not there physically. You need to teleport to other zone. In wow, it's just like an open-world...when durator ends, barrens starts but it won't be like this in GW2.

is it true?

if yes, this is very very very bad in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I have a question and I had no time to read all 200 pages to get my answer, sorry if it's allready answered.

Here is the question:

I heard something like the zones in GW2 won't be connected physically to each other. Let's say you're on X zone and you want to go nearby Y zone but when you reach the end of X zone, the nearby Y zone is not there physically. You need to teleport to other zone. In wow, it's just like an open-world...when durator ends, barrens starts but it won't be like this in GW2.

is it true?

if yes, this is very very very bad in my opinion.
    Yes, the zones are not seamless like in WoW. There will be portals between zones similar to the first Guild Wars or EverQuest or any number of other games with separate zones. I'm meh on it too, but the silver lining is that the entire region isn't going to crash because of a massive raid in a city on the other end of the continent (remember Wintergrasp early in WotLK where battle starting = all of Northrend locks up? Yeah, that won't happen).

It's not as bad as it sounds, the zones are absolutely massive and the portals between them will look more natural as they flow with the terrain. Lack of flying mounts/flight paths/etc. will also alleviate a lot of the potential problems.

Edit: To use your Durotar/Barrens example, imagine it like this: Durotar, North Barrens, South Barrens are all one huge zone. The entrances to all the adjacent zones generally have a small pathway leading into them, there would just be a portal there. Since it's all on the ground, it really isn't as bad - Ashenvale, Stonetalon, Mulgore, Dustwallow, Thousand Needles, Orgrimmar - they all for the most part have one (or two) small path(s) leading into them where an added portal wouldn't be all that obtrusive.

Edit2: It will more than likely still "look" seamless, as in you'll be able to see the next zone beyond the portal (at least enough to appear that the whole zone is there).
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-07-25 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    that sad, now i have to add random letters & stuff if someone takes name i want =(
    I haven't played much GW, but you can most likely assume that's to make sure most names are more RP-like, to better help with the immersion.

And dont forget you will be using map travel anyway. So don't expect to enter those portals much more than once in the lifetime of your character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think when they say the new class is controversial, it's because its NOT a Mesmer, which is what everyone expects, not because the class itself is controversial.