Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Wow Trolls, that thread was closed fast! Mods have obviously had too much coffee today!
    such a nice OP too highlighting both of them wasted

Deleted
    If you're thinking about playing a thief.. check this out! This is a follow up to my other video on Gw2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Wow Trolls, that thread was closed fast! Mods have obviously had too much coffee today!
    Shame really, I actually wanted to see the results of that poll. But I can see how it could be a bitch to moderate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Yep yep. lol Oh well.
    i just read your vs thread and all i can say is premature, incomplete, disingenuous and you cannot try and compare things if you say both are doing the same thing right, yet their approaches and executions are vastly different. i can understand you having your own opinion but if you want to have a fair comparison you actually have to be well fair. statements such as this:

Some people are afraid that while this system looks different, when in play it will not really be different from things we've seen before. Events will reset on some sort of timer, and there will be some NPC standing around yelling for you to help,not unlike a quest giver in other games.
    make me sad because all of it has already been clarified. regardless of what people's fears may be if the mechanics do not work remotely like the way you described, why build an argument around something that is false to begin with? it's a shame, it had the potential to be a great debate, but i am not a fan of misinformation regardless of the topic.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    Shame really, I actually wanted to see the results of that poll. But I can see how it could be a bitch to moderate.
    a poll with reactions disabled would be nice
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Love how they did away with purchasing your skills(and they're lvls), the new system where you learn your skills by actually using your weapon seems fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Love how they did away with purchasing your skills, the new system where you learn your skills by actually using your weapon seems fun.
    it is, at the very least, a more immersive and maybe instructive step on ANet's part. let's just see how well received it is.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i just read your vs thread and all i can say is premature, incomplete, disingenuous and you cannot try and compare things if you say both are doing the same thing right, yet their approaches and executions are vastly different. i can understand you having your own opinion but if you want to have a fair comparison you actually have to be well fair. statements such as this:

"Some people are afraid that while this system looks different, when in play it will not really be different from things we've seen before. Events will reset on some sort of timer, and there will be some NPC standing around yelling for you to help,not unlike a quest giver in other games."
    "i just read your vs thread and all i can say is premature, incomplete, disingenuous and you cannot try and compare things if you say both are doing the same thing right, yet their approaches and executions are vastly different." Huh? And how was I not fair? I took 5 of the most debated topics and threw them up for each.

make me sad because all of it has already been clarified. regardless of what people's fears may be if the mechanics do not work remotely like the way you described, why build an argument around something that is false to begin with? it's a shame, it had the potential to be a great debate, but i am not a fan of misinformation regardless of the topic.
    Ok, what was wrong with that statement? I used it because it is a popular subject when it starts getting talked about.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, what was wrong with that statement? I used it because it is a popular subject when it starts getting talked about.
    It's been confirmed that events don't reset. If a town is taken over, it will stay that way until players free it.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It's been confirmed that events don't reset. If a town is taken over, it will stay that way until players free it.
    And what happens after the players free it? it will happen again at some point due to an internal timer, correct? These events happen more than once in the game. So they must have some sort of internal timer as to when they happen again. I didn't specify that they had to be "beaten" to reset, I just said that they will reset.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what happens after the players free it? it will happen again at some point due to an internal timer, correct? These events happen more than once in the game. So they must have some sort of internal timer as to when they happen again. I didn't specify that they had to be "beaten" to reset, I just said that they will reset.
    Ye they will happen more than once, that's inevitable. I don't really get why people would be worried about that though. It's not like you'll see the same events over and over, unless you delibirately stay in the same area. You might see some events happen more than once while levelling alts, but the overall experience will be completely different every time.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Ye they will happen more than once, that's inevitable. I don't really get why people would be worried about that though. It's not like you'll see the same events over and over, unless you delibirately stay in the same area. You might see some events happen more than once while levelling alts, but the overall experience will be completely different every time.

If I worded it poorly, then sorry. I didn't mean that to be taken as anyone being upset that they reset. I meant that while there are no "quests", there will still be the person yelling to you to go save that village over there, just like a quest (giver) in another game. And as for the reset thing, it is inevitable that they will occur more than once, so it is like rifts or certain events in WoW. People are worried that it won't be as different as the devs are making it out to be.

I didn't put my own opinions anywhere in that post. I understand and like the way these work. That doesn't mean I shouldn't say what many people are saying and wondering about. Afterall, that was the point of it. Bring out the questions that we don't have the answers to until we play it. (Play it on release obviously. Some of the things for TOR that I wrote were not true/didn't need to be worried about. I know this cause I play it. But the article wasn't my personal thoughts, so I wrote it using other people's thoughts instead of my own, even though I have knowledge that they don't.)

Deleted
    The events don't reset. If players free the village, dynamic event will go into "defend the village" phase. Centaurs or whatever will be constantly attacking the village. Sooner or later, there won't be enough players to defend the village, and centaurs will capture it, moving the event into "free the village" phase again. If players really suck, the event will go into "defend the garrison" phase or something, because centaurs are launching attacks from that village.
    If you do really well on defending, the event will probably go into some kind of "push the centaurs into their base" phase.

Not sure if its been asked allready but will the race you pick effect anything? like passive abilities or different skills
    THIS ABOUT DRUID! druid is most fast in the yellow cat. how catch yellow cat when so fast? i try BUT NO VERY SPEEDY! i need the help against druid. please blizzard mans make not more power on druid :*(
    wise words

Deleted
    There are racial skills in the game. wiki(dot)guildwars2(dot)com/wiki/Racial_skills

10+ Year Old Account
    If I worded it poorly, then sorry. I didn't mean that to be taken as anyone being upset that they reset. I meant that while there are no "quests", there will still be the person yelling to you to go save that village over there, just like a quest (giver) in another game. And as for the reset thing, it is inevitable that they will occur more than once, so it is like rifts or certain events in WoW. People are worried that it won't be as different as the devs are making it out to be.

I didn't put my own opinions anywhere in that post. I understand and like the way these work. That doesn't mean I shouldn't say what many people are saying and wondering about. Afterall, that was the point of it. Bring out the questions that we don't have the answers to until we play it. (Play it on release obviously. Some of the things for TOR that I wrote were not true/didn't need to be worried about. I know this cause I play it. But the article wasn't my personal thoughts, so I wrote it using other people's thoughts instead of my own, even though I have knowledge that they don't.)
    I was referring to people in general when I said I didn't get why people are worried about that

IMO, the difference between wow/rift/TOR and GW2 doesn't lie in the mechanics behind the dynamic event system (basically, it's just quests, but instead of killing static mobs they'll actually be interacting with the world, which, strangely enough, hasn't been done before, except maybe in rift as a gimmick - invasions) The thing that pulls me to GW2's system is the fact that it's not linear like most MMO's.

In WoW/Rift/sw:tor, you have quest chains that follow each other. every character you make has that chain, and it's set in stone for every single alt you make. (apart from class quests etc.)

In gw2, you of course have the linear personal storyline (which is the mirror of the SW:TOR class quests) but outside of that, you're free to go wherever you want, whenever you want. you don't have to do quest X to unlock quest Y. As a sandbox fan, I can do nothing but applaud this.

Don't get me wrong, the on rails system SW:TOR and wow use is fine too, but sometimes, I don't want my hand held, sometimes I just want to run off into a vast, unique, beautiful world and save a town from centaurs. This is impossible in games like TOR/WOW. Rift got it somehow right, but the invasions/rifts become very repetitive and grindy after the first few times.

What I also like about the GW2 system is how it allows for a LOT more viable content at a time. At high level, almost every single zone will be viable for levelling. Every dungeon will be viable for you. Content never gets outdated.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    The events don't reset. If players free the village, dynamic event will go into "defend the village" phase. Centaurs or whatever will be constantly attacking the village. Sooner or later, there won't be enough players to defend the village, and centaurs will capture it, moving the event into "free the village" phase again. If players really suck, the event will go into "defend the garrison" phase or something, because centaurs are launching attacks from that village.
    If you do really well on defending, the event will probably go into some kind of "push the centaurs into their base" phase.
    Are you sure? Unless I'm reading that wrong, it seems that you are saying every event is never ending and always ongoing?

10+ Year Old Account
    "i just read your vs thread and all i can say is premature, incomplete, disingenuous and you cannot try and compare things if you say both are doing the same thing right, yet their approaches and executions are vastly different." Huh? And how was I not fair? I took 5 of the most debated topics and threw them up for each.
    1. premature because you are putting up a vs thread 2 days before the 2 biggest gaming conventions of the year after which many opinions could change
    2. incomplete because you have not really fleshed out the main game features and the pros and cons of the two games in question and utilize so much speculation and conjecture people would not be able to make an informative decision based on what you wrote.
    3. disingenuous because you phrase things in a way the people can read bias into
    4. you cannot say both games have action oriented combat and both games have pvp done right, otherwise we would just be talking about the same exact game. it's meant to be a comparison of features but you give your opinion on them instead of just giving us the facts.

the statement was grossly disingenuous. the way your statement reads it's as tho, having an event that changes not only the environment but also the other events that are now present in the area is somehow common place and has been seen in mmos before, for an event to reset no player interaction has to occur because it will reset on a timer anyway and does not take into account all the various branches that have to be passed before the event can even reach a point where it starts over again which could take hours/days/weeks/months, an animated npc using voice over work telling you that his village is burning and it is in that direction is akin to a static quest giver with lines of text.

Deleted
    Most events don't end, they just switch phases. This explains most of the stuff related to dynamic events http://mmorpgarea.com/answers-your-d...-guild-wars-2/