10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    ok guys stop playing with Tackhisis and answer my question. how many Hounds of Balthazar do you see summoned in this video?
    http://youtu.be/hMDpb97KvcA?t=3m10s
    *mindcontroll ray from arenanet* I. SEE. ONLY. TWO. YOUR. CLAIMS. ARE. WRONG. NO. MISTAKE. WAS. MADE. IT. IS. YOUR. IMAGINATION.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    It's not really a legitimate concern, it just shows people can't think outside the box and thinks that without gear progression a game can't possibly work - people that played the original GW know better, it does work - sure it may not be for everybody (and I'm happy about that) but it does work, GW was a great success.
    No, it's not a legitimate concern to you or other people that think like you. It is to people that don't think that way. It's not fair of you to trivialize the concerns of others.

Most people that I've seen posting about it don't say it will fail because of the lack of it. They say they are concerned because they like that style. Hopefully, actually playing the game will put those concerns to rest.

Not being able to think outside the box has nothing to do with it. Im sure these people can, and do. But something htey enjoy is not included in this game, and they hold to their tentativeness because of it. That's not a fault.

Will it work? Of course it will. People will see that when they play. Some won't like it one bit, and that's fine.

Perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut, but I've noticed the GW2 community on the whole to be combative against anyone who enjoys te older playstyle. Oft times, you compare yourselves with a pat on the back for being a better community than the shitty WoW community and "hope they don't play". (This is true of every community btw. I see it in my TOR thread and it drives me nuts.) Being critical of others for not whole heartedly embracing GW2's change everything doctorine, yet calling out things they enjoy as being dumb or outdated just strikes me as wrong and does a disservice to the community.

This isn't directed at you personally so much as it is a general observation.

Also, why do you guys still respond to Tach? Lol

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    ...but if they triggered it you'd simply join in the kill and get rewards as well...
    We could not join, because most of out guild were offline. What will you say to them when they'll come? "Sorry, guys, tough luck... Look what I've got from that boss btw, ain't it great"? It's not a positive gameplay experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    No, it's not a legitimate concern to you or other people that think like you. It is to people that don't think that way. It's not fair of you to trivialize the concerns of others.

Most people that I've seen posting about it don't say it will fail because of the lack of it. They say they are concerned because they like that style. Hopefully, actually playing the game will put those concerns to rest.

Not being able to think outside the box has nothing to do with it. Im sure these people can, and do. But something htey enjoy is not included in this game, and they hold to their tentativeness because of it. That's not a fault.

Will it work? Of course it will. People will see that when they play. Some won't like it one bit, and that's fine.

Perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut, but I've noticed the GW2 community on the whole to be combative against anyone who enjoys te older playstyle. Oft times, you compare yourselves with a pat on the back for being a better community than the shitty WoW community and "hope they don't play". (This is true of every community btw. I see it in my TOR thread and it drives me nuts.) Being critical of others for not whole heartedly embracing GW2's change everything doctorine, yet calling out things they enjoy as being dumb or outdated just strikes me as wrong and does a disservice to the community.

*mindcontroll ray from arenanet* ALL. SHALL. BECOME. ONE. WITH. ARENANET. OUR. NEW. LORDS. AND. MASTERS. OOPS. DID. I. SAY. THAT? I. MEANT. SAVIORS. ALL. HAIL!

Can you people stop arguing with Tackhisis? It's so easy to provoke you, it's pathetic.

I see it in my TOR thread and it drives me nuts.
    You know what really rustles my jimmies? You calling TOR thread yours countless times, anyone would make it and it's just a matter of time before one decides to host it and it pops up, just like we have one for every other game here. You're acting like an authority and it's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2011-09-11 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    We could not join, because most of out guild were offline. What will you say to them when they'll come? "Sorry, guys, tough luck... Look what I've got from that boss btw, ain't it great"? It's not a positive gameplay experience.
    wait i don't understand what you just said, your guild wanted to do an event, but another guild triggered it first.. then just join in with them, everyone gets rewards, if your guild was offline at the time whats the problem? just do the event chain as a guild and do the boss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And you can add "lets go join X event, its starting now".

Ill make it simple for you: you want instanced raids with 6 people and more? = go play some other game cuz GW2 doesn't have it and everyone else in this thread accept it and is happy it is this way. You clearly aren't happy with it so this isn't the game for you. Goodbye.

This x1000. Stick to MMO-Champion to avoid the brunt of this problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    *mindcontroll ray from arenanet* ALL. SHALL. BECOME. ONE. WITH. ARENANET. OUR. NEW. LORDS. AND. MASTERS. OOPS. DID. I. SAY. THAT? I. MEANT. SAVIORS. ALL. HAIL!
    My Asura Guardian laughs at your petty little ray gun from utop his golem! Then strangely gets down to pray to Mr. Johanson...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    And you can add "lets go join X event, its starting now".

Ill make it simple for you: you want instanced raids with 6 people and more? = go play some other game cuz GW2 doesn't have it and everyone else in this thread accept it and is happy it is this way. You clearly aren't happy with it so this isn't the game for you. Goodbye.
    I atleast can vouch for being extremely interested in GW2 exactly because of stuff like that. I've always found instanced raids an odd and immersion-breaking experience, so a boss actually being in the game world, open for kill to anyone who happens to be there sounds a whole lot more interesting! Besides, it just makes sense: if someone kills the boss right before you get there then... well, tough luck. Stuff like that happens in the real-world too, it only contributes to the feeling of the gameworld being alive.

Deleted
    I'm fairly certain they were asked at one point (some months ago) and they said there would not be phasing.

In the "world" everyone will see the same thing.

I'm assuming gathering stuff will be there all the time you can just only harvest again after a certain time.
    Well i dont know if the name is "phasing" or some other technique, but they have done something about it. I doubt that you will be prevented from participating in the "putting down the fires" part of an event because everyone else picked up all the buckets (lol... never expected to say this before). Im not saying that the entire zone will be phased, but items can be phased.

So a herb is there, you pick it up and are prevented from picking it up again, for a period of time, but you still see the herb? I don't know... it doesn't feel right. But it is a way of doing it...

About the 1000 people in a DE... i think they will have to implement some kind of player limit, in order to code the max powers the boss can have. Maybe not 100, or 200, but some limit must be implemented, so they can control the event. If not, lets say they make a boss with 10 different skills and 10million hp. At what number of players will the dragon use all its skills and have max difficulty hp? See what im saying? Lets say they program the dragon to scale to max, when there are 300 players. Two things can happen:
    - servers without 300 players wanting to be involved, will never see the entire fight.
    - servers with more players can schedule a time to trivialize the event.

I think a limit will have to be implemented, in order to balance the scaling of the fights. Anyway this is just speculating, and i am sure they already have a much better idea of how DEs will work. I do hope these major events will be triggered by players, so we can just start one, lets say 30 minutes after someone else has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut, but I've noticed the GW2 community on the whole to be combative against anyone who enjoys the older playstyle.
    That's because GW2's primary focus is a new MMO playstyle. Criticising that is the same as saying to a SWToR fan that "full voice acting" and an "epic storyline" aren't needed and that the old wall of quest text system was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane
    Agreed.
    Don't respond to him, just click the report button at the end of his post and write "trolling the GW2 thread again".
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-09-11 at 03:23 PM.

I think a limit will have to be implemented, in order to balance the scaling of the fights. Anyway this is just speculating, and i am sure they already have a much better idea of how DEs will work. I do hope these major events will be triggered by players, so we can just start one, lets say 30 minutes after someone else has.
    A limit on boss abilities? sure...

I limit on boss HP? no.

for example, every new active player that joins increases boss HP by 1%, decreases ability cooldown by 0.5% and stuff like that, with a simple percentage increment they dont need to limit it, sure its a lot easier to balance it with a limit, but its not necessary.

if 10 ppl the boss has 10Million hp, with 100 it will have 100Million and with 1000 it will have 1Billion... u know what I mean?

ofc, the system to track activity of the players and what they are doing (damage/supporting/manning the turrets, etc) needs to be a top notch system.

ps. i'd like to add tho, that Im pretty sure every zone and every1 event has a limit, simply becuz of performance issues, no game engine can support massive amount of players and keep going. Also for the sake of connections, ppl with slower connection wouldnt be able to handle 500 players in their proximity (unless somehow they code the game in a way that 1 user doesnt track every other user activities)

QUESTION: Were there mods/add ons on the 1st GW1?
    Last edited by xourico; 2011-09-11 at 03:25 PM.
    Waiting for SWTOR (Star wars: the old republic)

www.swtor.com

or... GW2... undecided

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i dont know if the name is "phasing" or some other technique, but they have done something about it. I doubt that you will be prevented from participating in the "putting down the fires" part of an event because everyone else picked up all the buckets (lol... never expected to say this before). Im not saying that the entire zone will be phased, but items can be phased.

So a herb is there, you pick it up and are prevented from picking it up again, for a period of time, but you still see the herb? I don't know... it doesn't feel right. But it is a way of doing it...

About the 1000 people in a DE... i think they will have to implement some kind of player limit, in order to code the max powers the boss can have. Maybe not 100, or 200, but some limit must be implemented, so they can control the event. If not, lets say they make a boss with 10 different skills and 10million hp. At what number of players will the dragon use all its skills and have max difficulty hp? See what im saying? Lets say they program the dragon to scale to max, when there are 300 players. Two things can happen:
    - servers without 300 players wanting to be involved, will never see the entire fight.
    - servers with more players can schedule a time to trivialize the event.

the mechanics the boss gets will limit at a certain point but the damage and HP will continue to rise

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right in your assessment the opinion of people that didn't play the original Guild Wars really means nothing at all to me.

People can be concerned all they will, no one said GW2 will be for everyone - especially people that are stuck in a certain mindset.
    yay i'm special, just checked.. i made my account 5 years ago.. 0o woah

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's because GW2's primary focus is a new MMO playstyle. Criticising that is the same as saying to a SWToR fan that "full voice acting" and an "epic storyline" aren't needed and that the old wall of quest text system was fine.
    I agree. But im not talking about the trolls who shout, "That can't work! Game will failzor hard!".

I'm talking about people that are genuinely concerned about it. As with TOR and the story thing for example, many people can't concieve it working. I know they are wrong. But i son't call them idiots or say they shouldn't play the game. I tell them that it works amazingly well and I've never felt more immersed in an MMO before. It adds to the fun factor exponentially. And it's 100% something you've actually got to try in order to understand. Watching others play cannot give you the feeling.

My main point was instead of saying what they like is wrong, or that they shouldn't play, convince them with constructive reasoning. The devs of GW2 are fantastic at this. Use their words. It's far more convincing than just calling people dumb.

Deleted
    in gw2 herbs etc. are phased yes. you pick something up, it disappears for you, but othe rpeople can pick it up, too.

about the bosses, i am pretty sure the devs said they dont want something like: more hp and dmg on bosses, if they scale up. they clearly said they want to give new bosses new abilities and such. raising hp is a must be ofc, so the boss doesnt get killed after a few seconds but raising dmg? ofc no. i mean, sometime the boss would just 1 shot everyone, thats not intended, he will get more abilities and such things, but wont 1 shot everyone...maybe spawn adds etc.

and tach, you wont get certain rewards from events, you only get karma, and you can exchange that for items, so i dont see the prob. you can make evry event u want, your not limited to 1 event. you could even go with 40 lvl 80s and raid lvl 1 dynamic events, doesnt matter

I personally don't see a problem with people desiring an endgame for GW2. Okay, they're focusing on the leveling experience and they want to make it the same kind of game all throughout, but I don't think it's an unreasonable concern to have to wish to have things to do with your character after they've reached the top level.

A lot of attention has been placed into personal stories, choices you make with your toon, and essentially molding them into a unique character. This should forge an attachment to your character similar to how people get attached to a WoW character they've spent forever grinding with, but with a key difference: The bond with your character in WoW feels almost obligatory, as if trying to justify all the time spent grinding levels and gear and learning to play it properly, whereas in GW2 I imagine the bond would be much more because you actually like the character. So why would you want to get to max level, play a few DE's, and then quit that character? I can't wait for this game to come out, but I also am hoping there is enough to do that I will not get bored of playing my 80 toons.

Also, I was under the impression that gear was only cosmetic in PvP. I could have sworn that I'd read somewhere that PvE gear still has stats, but the increase in stats isn't enormous or game-breaking(I took from it that all gear in the game is the equivalent of greens or blues in WoW, with no vastly superior epics/legendary quality items).

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing this tread i'm installing GW again to get some items for gw2 =p , anyone wanna hunt some titles together or farm gold for armors etc or help me? =D

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I support any punishment carried out by crossbow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    You know what really rustles my jimmies? You calling TOR thread yours countless times, anyone would make it and it's just a matter of time before one decides to host it and it pops up, just like we have one for every other game here. You're acting like an authority and it's ridiculous.
    Lol.

I know you don't like me because I like a different game than you. But this is stretching it imo.

Since I am the one that updates the thread with all the released info, has enough respect with a number of the community to respect what I say, keeps the sense of community strong by actively engaging in it and steering directions when needed, etc, yeah, I do have a sense of ownership of the thread.

Im sorry that it somehow upsets you that I do. But it's not going to change.