Norn is least represented for mesmer class.

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=...charprofession

Inc 6% of people who now think their special snowflakes
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I liked in EQ when you were punished for being bad at the game. :/

De-level + possibly permanent gear loss is the only way to have meaningful death in MMOs.
    I really agree with this. I've seen people say it's too hard and/or outdated... but I loved it. Definitely a better way to do it, especially when 96% rez was available. I just like when there is more of a potential for loss for dying. You shouldn't just blindly run into situations and have nothing at risk but a possible loss of funds.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Why would us Norn use human contraptions?

Do you not like our breasts the size of bowling balls? It's great distraction for the hunt.
    Those rare times they decide to try a bit of civilization and pop in to divinitys reach for a cooked meal (and a bath)?

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Those rare times they decide to try a bit of civilization and pop in to divinitys reach for a cooked meal (and a bath)?
    Norn =/= cavemen. Though I suppose your gods told you otherwise.

Ya gonna save the world by yourself next time? Weakling!
    Last edited by zito; 2012-02-19 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

De-level + possibly permanent gear loss is the only way to have meaningful death in MMOs.

My favorite MMO had XP debt, gear degradation and you had to pay RL dollars to repair. Pretty much the best game I ever played.
    I personally despised that in EQ. Permanent penalty for death is crazy stupid to me (especially sub to play games).

I remember having a high level player pull me through some levels in EQ because it took so long to level up. Trying to level up solo was a chore and if you made a mistake you lost exp. A lot of it.

Same thing in Maplestory, but it wasn't as bad there because everyone was self sufficient at keeping themselves alive.

I probably wouldn't mind it in GW2, because it's skill based and not "Pulled one too many? Random patrol got you? Tough luck. You're dead. Bye Bye 5 hours of grinding.".

Don't like it in Mabinogi where if you died there is a chance for you to drop a random piece of gear. And dying in that game is mostly due to lag.

EDIT: and RL money for making honest mistakes is the worst thing I've ever heard of. I wouldn't touch such a game with a 12 foot pole.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-19 at 09:39 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted

My favorite MMO had XP debt, gear degradation and you had to pay RL dollars to repair. Pretty much the best game I ever played.
    I can agree with you to some extent right until paying RL dollars to repair. That's 5 steps too far in my opinion. Paying extra in order to be able to keep on playing on a decent level? Sorry but... really? I can agree that's it an effective way to think about what you do. For me, that would be not buying the game all together. I don't want to have to pay extra real life money for an accidental mistake that can always happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Norn =/= cavemen. Though I suppose your gods told you otherwise.

Ya gonna save the world by yourself next time? Weakling!
    I'm getting the vibe that the word "svelte" is an emotional one for you. Mine is just one preference out of many...it's not worth worrying your big ole mellon head over.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I'm getting the vibe that the word "svelte" is an emotional one for you. Mine is just one preference out of many...it's not worth worrying your big ole mellon head over.
    Norn are quite strategic and thoughtful, though we might not use these methods to ease our lives as much as humans do, we are not mellon heads.

Humans.... such stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I personally despised that in EQ. Permanent penalty for death is crazy stupid to me (especially sub to play games).
    It made the idea of risk very real. Even more so given the steep time investment the game demanded. The side effect was awesome guild comradeship and incentive to not be a jerk to people you need to depend upon one day.

The holy grail of game design is the create the impression of stakes.

There are only 3 games which achieved this wholly.

Defeat in Guild Wars 2 is intended to be an experience, not a punishment.
    I guess that intention didn’t survive development.

Let's face it: dying never feels great, even without a death penalty. As weird as it might sound, we decided to look into what would make dying a more enjoyable and memorable play experience.
    …And we added a visit to a town every now and then! Nothing says “memorable” like interacting with an NPC every X deaths.

The cherry on top of all of this: Guild Wars 2 will have a much milder death penalty.
    Players who have recently been downed several times will take longer to revive each time. If no one revives you, you can spend a small amount of gold to come back at a waypoint. It's as simple as that, and why not? Why should we debuff you, take away experience, or make you run around for five minutes as a ghost
    …or make your gear useless until you go back to town…

instead of letting you actually play the game?
    Why indeed?

Simple systems like this, along with cross-profession combos, and the dedicated healing skill slot, help free players from the MMORPG shackles, and let us break the mold even more
    I guess we should add one score for the shackles and molds.

10+ Year Old Account
    It made the idea of risk very real. Even more so given the steep time investment the game demanded. The side effect was awesome guild comradeship and incentive to not be a jerk to people you need to depend upon one day.

The holy grail of game design is the create the impression of stakes.

There are only 3 games which achieved this wholly.
    It didn't help that I was in my early teens when I played EQ and I enjoyed soloing at the time.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

…And we added a visit to a town every now and then! Nothing says “memorable” like interacting with an NPC every X deaths.
    I think when we actually experience a real death you get the penalty. When you are in down state you don't die you still have a chance to live by kicking ass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I guess that intention didn’t survive development.

…or make your gear useless until you go back to town…

Why indeed?

I guess we should add one score for the shackles and molds.
    The gear penalty probably only occurs if you are "defeated" not "downed".

Even then, it isn't hard to take a way point to a repair guy and take a way point back. You're already at a way point when you died.

Deleted
    On the front page, there's this info about dark soul: misery. It's effect made me think about the elementalist signets. Seems Blizz is really looking around to implement some "new" stuff. I don't really know if there's an mmo that had it before GW2, but it's kinda... odd that it appears on WoW just after GW2.

"new"
    10characters

Also hoping some press testers looked into pets more...

The gear penalty probably only occurs if you are "defeated" not "downed".

Even then, it isn't hard to take a way point to a repair guy and take a way point back. You're already at a way point when you died.
    Yes, it's when you're killed, not downed, but that's not relevant. Why the change in philosophy, deciding now that death penalties are great? It's like if Colin came now and said "hey, I think that swinging a sword and swinging a sword again it's actually fun!" and everyone was "woot! you swung a sword a lot en EQ and that's how they solved the problem of people leveling too fast! this is great news!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Yes, it's when you're killed, not downed, but that's not relevant. Why the change in philosophy, deciding now that death penalties are great? It's like if Colin came now and said "hey, I think that swinging a sword and swinging a sword again it's actually fun!" and everyone was "woot! you swung a sword a lot en EQ and that's how they solved the problem of people leveling too fast! this is great news!"
    If you think this new "death penalty" is so terrible, you've never played a game with a really terrible death penalty. Even WoW has a harsher death penalty.

I'd be upset if they didn't put in some kind of penalty for death. There has to be some kind of threat of death or else death wouldn't matter. It's more of a replacement for the old "potions and energy" system that rewarded good play and punished bad, but in a way that wasn't effective.

If you think this new "death penalty" is so terrible, you've never played a game with a really terrible death penalty. Even WoW has a harsher death penalty.

I'd be upset if they didn't put in some kind of penalty for death. There has to be some kind of threat of death or else death wouldn't matter. It's more of a replacement for the old "potions and energy" system that rewarded good play and punished bad, but in a way that wasn't effective.
    If ya died twice in a row (normal and downed) you deserve a slap in tha face!

Also GW1 death penalty

/shudder

Deleted
    I really hate this gear repair ideia, something along the lines of DP like in the original GW would be much nicer. Well, I'll just hope they don't put something related to gear repair in cash shop...

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially this new durability loss death penalty just seems to amount to an added gold cost. How it will play out in-game, we'll just have to wait and see. It certainly seems that it could be a bit of backpedaling on their part, so I'm a bit skeptical. It's not that a penalty for dying is necessarily a bad thing, but that this move seems to be counter to their own stated design philosophy. It's the principle of the thing.