Deleted
    I completely agree about the no flying mounts part. I was so excited when i got my Windrider in wow but for some reason I almost immediately became bored with the game after getting it I think theres just too much of everything on wow now. It used to be exciting to collect pets, mounts etc but now theres so many of both its lost all meaning. Guess thats just what happens when somethings been around for that long.

I'm hoping gw2 will rekindle my interest in MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    Kindasorta.

Every class is a hybrid of the damage, control, and support roles (or at least a hybrid of two of them; I admit to not having watched GW2 developments very closely, so I can't be sure). This allows them to remove the agro table and make enemies smarter, as everyone can contribute to damage reduction instead of just the tank. Side note: the removal of the agro table also necessitates the hybridization of roles within classes - one causes the other and the other causes the first. This is fascinating if you're a game design nerd like myself.

Further reading can be found in one of my previous posts. As I touched on there, healing and tanking will exist, but in a much lesser format than traditional (WoW-like) games.

If you want to play a tank role, your job will not be what you're used to. Most people are used to tanks (and frontliners in general) being able to soak up as much damage as possible; this will not (should not) be possible in GW2. As I mentioned, I'm a little sketchy on how professions have developed so far, but as I recall the Guardian and Warrior will be able to focus on preventing enemies from doing stuff via knockdowns and other disabling effects (at least, this is how things worked in GW). If you want to excel at your role, you'll realize that the damage you prevent by stunning a foe for 3 seconds is more helpful to the party than the damage you prevent by using a defensive skill - a lot of the time, at least; there are times when this won't be true, and that's why strategy and tactics are important. Note especially that a well-used melee stun prevents a monster from attacking a squishy target, forcing it to either turn its attention to you or waste resources trying to catch the squishy (who has, hopefully, gained some distance).

Healing does exist in GW2, but there is not a dedicated healer class/spec/role. I'm actually very sad at this because I don't like the way it changes the combat dynamics, but I can appreciate the new healing dynamics. From what I recall, each character is required to take one healing/defensive skill, and this will in essence force players to become more well-rounded to improve. Because the ability to heal allies is limited, each player becomes more responsible for his own survival; a player who says "lol helr u sux why didn u heel me" will become the laughingstock he should always have been.

However, I do believe you're correct when you say that most of the damage will have to be avoided. Most of that seems like it'll be done via offensive utility ("control") spells, though kiting and the like will, of course, have their place.
    I am quite a "game design nerd" myself, too, and I also find this quite fascinating. But, yes, the idea of "tanking" in GW2 would probably be called support in most games. It does seem quite interesting to play one though and I think this will lead to quite chaotic but dynamic battlefields. Which is what I think ArenaNet is going for.

The removal of the healing role is really what I'm looking forward to though. I think it will create some sort of skill cap that will be quite high. With that I mean that a player that can take care of himself will be way more valuable than one that will require heals because he doesn't have the knowledge needed for the "mission" this group is doing.

Deleted
    Question about GW and GW 2:

I got GW but dont play much cause u know, wow beats it in every aspect. but im sure i wanna play GW 2 (Graphics & mechanics /drool)
    Is it good idea to do some GW and get hall of monuments rewards or is it just wasted time?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazhuk View Post

I got GW but dont play much cause u know, wow beats it in every aspect. but im sure i wanna play GW 2 (Graphics & mechanics /drool)
    Is it good idea to do some GW and get hall of monuments rewards or is it just wasted time?
    If you want some of the rewards to use in GW2 do it, if not don't bother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    If you want some of the rewards to use in GW2 do it, if not don't bother.
    My question is more like: does it gives me a huge advantage in GW2 or just for fun / show off that i played GW 1? cant make that up from the site.

Deleted
    My question is more like: does it gives me a huge advantage in GW2 or just for fun / show off that i played GW 1? cant make that up from the site.
    It won't give you any advantage, it's all cosmetic stuff. GW2 isn't WoW they aren't like heirloom gear.

The Hall Of Monuments awards are pretty much all about looks, nothing else.

That being said, having the plate gear already from lvl 1 is a bit cool, it looks quite good imo.
    Last edited by Tristan Khan; 2011-05-27 at 11:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I'ld suggest just playing some gw on offdays, even if you don't like it as much as wow, it still beats flying circles in SW/ORG, the story is quite awesome.

P.S. GW beats wow on several things

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Don't start the flame war!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I'ld suggest just playing some gw on offdays, even if you don't like it as much as wow, it still beats flying circles in SW/ORG, the story is quite awesome.

True but graphics is not among them

The story is indeed nice but im not hooked to it yet

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Don't start the flame war!
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video/39...-the-flame-war

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    (Ground) Mounts in general are cool enough, but they should be hard to get so they retain their epicness, not a collectable like they have become in wow.
    My kingdom for a horse!

True but graphics is not among them
    The graphics in GW are stunning! :O

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    I agree on the mounts, especially the flying ones - and this is speaking as someone with 100+
    yes idd no mounts whatsoever

There won't really be a need for mounts with being able to port all over the world pretty much wherever you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerken View Post
    I am quite a "game design nerd" myself, too, and I also find this quite fascinating. But, yes, the idea of "tanking" in GW2 would probably be called support in most games. It does seem quite interesting to play one though and I think this will lead to quite chaotic but dynamic battlefields. Which is what I think ArenaNet is going for.
    It's similar in concept to how GW works right now, though GW has some major issues. Everything's been power creeped, which means that (among other things) the midline brings control, support, and ridiculous damage. A necromancer can remove three enchantments from a guy on a short recharge and energy cost, and then as a bonus do ridiculous AoE damage. A paragon can contribute to spikes, pressure, and party invincibility relatively easily. Warriors run around and knock things down and keep them dead as they should, but they do it with little to no effort (crushing blow crits for 350+ on 600 hp targets, shit's ridic).

The removal of the healing role is really what I'm looking forward to though. I think it will create some sort of skill cap that will be quite high. With that I mean that a player that can take care of himself will be way more valuable than one that will require heals because he doesn't have the knowledge needed for the "mission" this group is doing.
    I'm willing to wait and see how things turn out. My main concern is that things will reach a state like they did in Wrath PvP - pressure the warrior until he pops shield wall, then stay on him because he now has one less defensive cd than his teammates. (See here, example near the bottom.) A centralized healer using skills such as Guardian prevents that kind of situation.

That said, I think it's possible to balance a game around not having a centralized defensive character while still not having that kind of an issue. One option is to give more players the option of using their personal defensive skills on allies, as Rip suggested in that post. Another option is to remove most of the cooldown-limited defensive options. Another is to give players more options for control while at low HP (say, for example, an instant cast 4s stun that becomes available when you drop below 40% HP). My favorite idea, though, is giving characters long duration toggleable abilities that increase their defense at the cost of their offense, control, and/or team support. Basically, you get to choose whether you're in turtle mode or attack mode, and that becomes a tactical decision you make while in combat.

Don't think anyone's posted this yet, but Arenanet have posted a new FAQ about the Engineer. Definately worth a look!

http://www.arena.net/blog/frequently...t-the-engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    I'm willing to wait and see how things turn out. My main concern is that things will reach a state like they did in Wrath PvP - pressure the warrior until he pops shield wall, then stay on him because he now has one less defensive cd than his teammates. (See here, example near the bottom.) A centralized healer using skills such as Guardian prevents that kind of situation.

That said, I think it's possible to balance a game around not having a centralized defensive character while still not having that kind of an issue. One option is to give more players the option of using their personal defensive skills on allies, as Rip suggested in that post. Another option is to remove most of the cooldown-limited defensive options. Another is to give players more options for control while at low HP (say, for example, an instant cast 4s stun that becomes available when you drop below 40% HP). My favorite idea, though, is giving characters long duration toggleable abilities that increase their defense at the cost of their offense, control, and/or team support. Basically, you get to choose whether you're in turtle mode or attack mode, and that becomes a tactical decision you make while in combat.
    I think combat system as whole is dealing with most of these issues. Fact that you can physically avoid almost any attack, fact you have dedicated ability slot which will heal or help you mitigate damage, lot of group defensive abilities and abilities which will help you control the fight and whole rally and resurrection system is enough to avoid issues with lack of centralized defensive character.

Something that's been on mind, Anets boasts about all these awesome combination attacks, however the only ones we've heard of so far is ranger shooting arrows through a wall of fire, warrior spinning through a wall of fire, and now in the engineer FAQ, turrets shooting through....you guessed it....wall of fire.

Have there been any other combination attacks spoken of or shown?

They want a lot of that discovered in game, so I doubt you'll hear about other combinations yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Something that's been on mind, Anets boasts about all these awesome combination attacks, however the only ones we've heard of so far is ranger shooting arrows through a wall of fire, warrior spinning through a wall of fire, and now in the engineer FAQ, turrets shooting through....you guessed it....wall of fire.

Have there been any other combination attacks spoken of or shown?
    I think i saw a lightning wall in a Shatterer video