Am I heroics ready?

I recently started playing wow again after about a year off. Played in vanilla, BC, and Wrath mainly as destro (actually level'd 1-60 destro in vanilla when everyone said I was crazy). Been running a lot regs, working on rep and what little gear you can get from drops in them. Destro fits my playstyle better than aff or demo. My current ilvl is 342 and in regulars I'm doing around 7-9k throughout the entire instance(I can do 12k on dummy, but I realize that's irrelevant) . Sometimes a little higher on boss fights, depending what the situation is. I basically have two questions: 1) Would my dps in regular dungeons be sufficient enough to start running heroics without looking like a total nub?
    2) Since there has not been an instance where I have to CC yet, do heroics require a good bit of CC ?

I recently got a social invite to an above average guild, and I would love to one day be able to raid with them. Not getting my hopes up, just want to do everything I can do to be ready. I do not have a ton of raid experience, but I have been approaching Cata a bit different than other expansions. I would like to run heroics now, and do it without looking stupid lol Thanks for any input! First post, no link
    Evilucion-Shadowmoon (I realize I have pvp bracers on, haven't been able to get anything else yet )

Definitley

CC depends very much on the tanks gear and to a lesser extend the healers, with a new 85 you will need to use CC. With an 85 who is heroic geared or more they can zerg through everything like they were the lich king dungeons. Glyphed Fear and Banish are you main cc's if you have a geared tank, just be on the lookout for things he misses, can't get or loses control of. Everyone loves someone who can quickly CC something before it does any damage to the dps.

7-9k will get some people on this forum saying "how can an 85's dps be that low, when i dinged 85 i was doing 20k dps" its mostly noise, with 7-9k you will do fine. There is only really 1 dps check in all of cata heroics, and thats the last boss in Grim Batol, but your dps should be fine for that as long as you have a slow or a dispel. Everything else is all about positioning and not letting your dps drop off a cliff when you have to move a few yards.

The benchmark for normal raid dps is around 10k, go do Argaloth, if your group can make it you can at least do 4/12 without any issues in 10m maybe further in 25m. You'll pick up gear on the way which will make the later bosses easier.

Good luck
    Last edited by Dietrik; 2011-04-26 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks for the input! I know that I could have been going to heroics for some time now, as far as ilvl goes. But I wanted to be as ready as I can with my rotation, and learning some of the different instances. Thanks again! :-)

just remember to use your cooldowns on boss fights, they will get you dps considerably higher

15+ Year Old Account
    As dps you are concidered heroic ready when you are lvl 85 and got enough BOE epics in your bag to put your avg ilvl at 329. It may sound stupid but come on.. it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    As dps you are concidered heroic ready when you are lvl 85 and got enough BOE epics in your bag to put your avg ilvl at 329. It may sound stupid but come on.. it's true.
    Sadly enough, this is true. With an ilvl of 342, you should be fine in any heroic dungeon.

i think u should be doing much higher DPS with your item lv ,in 5man u are mostly DPSing 1+ mobs , and there are buff from teamate and the random finder , as destro u should getting 10K+ easily , the 15% buff from random finder is much , learn not to try your full rotation on things die too fast

in a guild raid run , get yourself in the right position is more important , not standing on fire will get u more chance to raid

my DK alt tank 5H at the day dinging 85 , with blue PvP gear to bump the item lv up , and the 1st week of 5H life of him still need some CC , AE 99% after that, sometime CCing the healer mob is fater than AE , with AE damage being buffed for many class in 4.1 , CC in 5H should be very very rare

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilucion View Post
    I recently started playing wow again after about a year off. Played in vanilla, BC, and Wrath mainly as destro (actually level'd 1-60 destro in vanilla when everyone said I was crazy). Been running a lot regs, working on rep and what little gear you can get from drops in them. Destro fits my playstyle better than aff or demo. My current ilvl is 342 and in regulars I'm doing around 7-9k throughout the entire instance(I can do 12k on dummy, but I realize that's irrelevant) . Sometimes a little higher on boss fights, depending what the situation is. I basically have two questions: 1) Would my dps in regular dungeons be sufficient enough to start running heroics without looking like a total nub?
    2) Since there has not been an instance where I have to CC yet, do heroics require a good bit of CC ?

I recently got a social invite to an above average guild, and I would love to one day be able to raid with them. Not getting my hopes up, just want to do everything I can do to be ready. I do not have a ton of raid experience, but I have been approaching Cata a bit different than other expansions. I would like to run heroics now, and do it without looking stupid lol Thanks for any input! First post, no link
    Evilucion-Shadowmoon (I realize I have pvp bracers on, haven't been able to get anything else yet )
    9k is not bad without the GF buff since this is in normals. I would consider that definitely ready for heroics - if you solo queue you will get a 15% bonus to total 10.3k (roughly). Considering I've had DPS in heroics pulling 6k, I would have no issue with you in my heroic group

I decided to try them out, and ran three random heroics last night, and one this morning. Went far better than I anticipated lol I found that it wasn't necessarily my own dps that was a possible issue, but rather a healers ability to keep everyone alive lol Due to Recount not being updated yesterday after the patch, I don't know what my dps was. But I could tell that mobs were going down fairly fast most of the time. This morning, with Recount working, my dps was around 12k the entire time, so I think I'm good. Thanks again for helping me convince myself I was ready :-)
    Now time to get some better gear and hopefully progress some....

also everyones' ability to take less damage , keep an eye on those melee class's HP , especially combat rogue , u will know who is a good player

when u get in raids , keep in mind that , keeping yourself alive is always the most important ,

Ppl with 4k,5k dps join heroics already, so...
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"