Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Best Anti-Virus?

I was wandering what is the Best Anti-Virus and Firewall software for play WoW and other online gaming?
    I have Nortons Internet Security now and can never get the right settings to keep background scans from slowing down my FPS.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I personally use Malware-Bytes, but thats just me.

ALL GLORY TO Cthulhu Ftagn, HIS WILL BE DONE!

Deleted
    Personally i find Avira pretty good...gotta admit i've never been a fan of Norton, had a year free when i brought my PC and although it came up a few times it was only in the few weeks before it ran out it started popping up alot of warnings (quite clearly a trick to make me renew as i doubt it i suddenly started contracting alot of PC viruses at the same time). But i'm not a huge genius on anti-virus softwear tbh.

Never had any issues with Avast.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Malwarebyte's + Microsoft Security Essentials.

i use avast it is free and i have never been hacked since i got it

Get rid of ANYTHING Norton related. Right now.

You'll be fine with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

And common sense. That's the most important.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

i only use mse, and of course firefox with adblockplus+noscript, so i can click on websites with reckless abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Get rid of ANYTHING Norton related. Right now.

You'll be fine with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

And common sense. That's the most important.
    Norton's Partition Magic is a rather good tool from them though.
    But in any case, I currently run with a bought version of AVG and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
    Not a single problem thus far.
    As for a free solution to a Anti-Virus, I'd suggest either AVG or Avast.

I'm not particularly familiar with Microsoft Security Essentials as others here have mentioned, so I won't comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Avast is probably your best bet as far as "free anti-virus" go's. I don't know which anti-virus is the best to just throw your money at them but Avast scans your computer as a screen saver, and has a trendy animation to it that you cannot hate. Works for me (:

Love Avira, it uses the least amount of memory and the scan's are really nice and quick.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vipre

Shits legit yo

Deleted
    Currently using Kaspersky Internet Security Suite which comes with everything needed. Had no problems what so ever, i'd recommend it to all

The Spank Bank
    *bah dum tish*
    Avast

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

10+ Year Old Account
    Kaspersky if you seriously need some heavy duty protection. that shit is serious.

eset nod 32 is hands down the best anti-virus software

it is always rated #2

Norton is rated #1

but most viruses target Norton directly so the choice is clear

i also use no script its annoying but very effective

10+ Year Old Account
    comodo internet security is very good and free, but a bit more complicated.

There is no substitute for safe browsing habits. You could have the top of the line software, but it won't do you any good if you just click through its prompts and allow things to run. Be smart, use your head when browsing sites, install an ad-blocker, or look up editing your host files to block 99.9% of advertisements, and you'll find anti-virus software to be an insurance policy, and almost unnecessary.

All that being said, I do tech work at a corporate level and when we do removals on infected machines we use our corporate license of Malwarebytes along with several other tools from other companies, such as some Kaspersky software. My recommendation would be to run Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and set your PC to auto-scan once a week with Malwarebytes. If you manage to attract anything through that combination of tools you are likely torrenting, using p2p with infected software, or simply really stupid.

keep background scans from slowing down my FPS.
    Kaspersky has a gaming mode you can enable which detects when you launch games, it then runs in a more performance friendly mode making sure not to hinder your gaming experience with background scans, definition updates, etc. until you close whatever game you are playing.
    Last edited by Ohsighruss; 2011-05-02 at 12:56 AM.

gettin noscript+adblock and using firefox will prevent more malware on ur comp than using any antivirus. i personally use kaspersky, which seems to be industry standard when it comes to detection and never hampers my computer performance.

nod32
    i find it to be the best