View Poll Results: Do you think the Acid in the eyes punishment is right?

Voters
784. This poll is closed
  • Yes

506 64.54%
  • No

278 35.46%
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ouch this is hard to answer.he surely deserves prison for his rest of his life.but acid?that is terrible to say at least...i just hope the woman didn't/won't agree as the art of revenge is pretty cruel in this case

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    Most states won't put mentally incompetent people on death row. Why don't they? If the purpose of law is to give people what they "deserve" then shouldn't it be perfectly reasonable to do this?

If you do believe mentally handicapped people "deserve" to be executed, how does this improve society? Will it actually decrease crime? Will it make life better for anyone? Remember: mentally incompetent people, by definition, cannot understand the laws that they have broken, so executing mentally incompetent people is not as effective a deterrent.

If you don't believe mentally incompetent people "deserve" to be executed, why don't you believe it? What is the fundamental principle at work here? If the punishment should fit the crime, then doesn't this make a glaring exception?
    Not really I'd execute them to just for killing a person and don't care whats wrong with you if you are that dangerous its time to go. How does this hurt society is my question?

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    It's ubelievable that a person can do something like that and expect walk away. He threw a bucket of acid in the woman's face. Indeed, he should deserve the same. Death would be a blessing.
    this basicly

That is amazing, I have a new found love for what ever governing system iran has lol.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Oh the irony.
    It is you who should educate yourself a little better - because even your own article indicates that the opium wars was a resounding failure, and the only thing it did was serve to illustrate what a great 'anti-European imperialist' the emperor was. Woop-dee-shit.

If you believe the drug trade in China actually ended as a result of the opium wars, I have a bridge for sale.
    Do I need to quote myself on "educate yourself a little bit" so you would understand what wikipedia gives only general knowledge of the subject?
    And about beliving in results of the opium wars.. Ahahah, can you actually read my posts instead of quoting them?
    Ok, I'll try to explain in the way you might understand: you stated what death row is a mistake and it doesn't do any good. Then I gave you example of the China, who were suffering from really high drug addiction, feed by England. And to stop it they actually went to war for it.
    I didn't help them that much, but rather than communist revolution, who installed death penalty for drug sell. And from junkie they were made into current super powers, instead of being destroyed, that how high drug problem were at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dantian View Post
    It might help.
    How? How does the knowledge that you are directly responsible for another person's suffering - even if said person inflicted suffering upon you - 'help' with the agony of being disfigured and blind? I'd say that, ultimately, it may end up hurting her. Maybe not right away, but eventually, that sort of thing might begin to gnaw at her.

If not, then she too is a monster, and is far from innocent.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this case, I'd say yes so he can feel what he done to others.

In cases where no acid was used, no, it wouldn't be fair.

I think there are levels of crime. That man ruined a woman's whole life by doing something horrid, its not something like stealing to feed your wife and children.. it has no real excuse. He deserves that level of punishment, he deserves that and more. It would be an example for all the people who would even think of commiting a serious crime like this.

I wouldn't argue the punishment is unfair I just think torture for normal people is not something we can administer without feeling horrible for it. This guy might have been able to do it and not feel remorse but the woman if she does the same might then feel awful afterwards. I would not want this to somehow backfire on her and be a second scarring experience that she does not deserve.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is absolutely a fair punishment. I wish they did punishments like that here in the States, maybe there'd be less crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Of course, it's always easier to howl for blood than try some empathy, isn't it.
    Empathy? Have you seen what he did to her face? No. He isn't getting empathy. I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could seriously claim that giving him a small taste of what he did to someone -innocent- is "Just as bad" as what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    So if it never ends, why even bother trying to correct it?
    Your response is unacceptable.

You have a lot to learn.
    I was born into a world where acts of kindness and truth are few and far between.

Hatred, atrocity, malice, greed.. have almost complete dominance.

And you ask me why even try to correct it.. because it is the right thing to do.

If you see a million star fish washed up on a shore.. there is no chance of you ever throwing them all back, but you should still throw as many back into the sea as you can.

The logic on my position is the same.

While the act being performed by this woman is not something that will ever be viewed as beautiful.. it might bring some peace to her heart, over something that was forced upon her.. that I am willing to bet she would have avoided completely if she could have. As I assure you, she does not have an innate desire to cause suffering to others, these things are born from your own suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Mixup View Post
    But that's the thing. By your logic, this crime would have never happened. That man was WELL aware that he could face an eye-for-an-eye style punishment for what he did, yet he did it anyways. What's the damn point if it doesn't serve to deter crimes?

At least incarceration and rehabilitation has a chance to better him for the future. You can't change the past, afterall, but you can change the future. What good is a blind man going to be in the future? Tax-payer money is still going to be fed to him. Even more so than he would have cost tax payers in jail.

I swear, people can be so short sighted.
    Are you even reading what anyone posts? Are you reading what you post? We're similar, yet I'm the short sighted one?

How are you so sure that he was aware of the punishment? If he was aware and still did it anyway, then death is needed.

Get off your high horse, the world isn't perfect and people are typically selfish and evil.

Edit: Guarantee you're going to say (or at least until you read this) something about killing people for stealing or something, completely taking what I said out of context.
    Last edited by Dald; 2011-05-14 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    I've adressed this so many times I can't count. #1: Reform is unlikely. #2: You're still ruining his life by putting him in prison, maybe we shouldn't do that either? #3: There's a difference in revenge and justice. I said court, trial, judge. Not, let the woman do whatever she wants to him. The judge doesn't want revenge, the woman does. He is therefore, a third party serving justice.

Prison is a punishment, not god's revenge free gift to mankind that magically saves people. If somebody pisses me off, I frame them for something, and they go to prison, that's still revenge.
    #1 Reform may be unlikely. It was unlikely that mankind would ever fly too. Maybe we shouldn't have bothered?
    #2 No, you aren't. You are administering punishment while giving him a chance to reform himself and think about his action.
    #3 Justice involves more than punishment, it involves the possibillity of reform. There is no reform possible from this punishment, thus it is not justice but revenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    Do I need to quote myself on "educate yourself a little bit" so you would understand what wikipedia gives only general knowledge of the subject?
    And about beliving in results of the opium wars.. Ahahah, can you actually read my posts instead of quoting them?
    Ok, I'll try to explain in the way you might understand: you stated what death row is a mistake and it doesn't do any good. Then I gave you example of the China, who were suffering from really high drug addiction, feed by England. And to stop it they actually went to war for it.
    I didn't help them that much, but rather than communist revolution, who installed death penalty for drug sell. And from junkie they were made into current super powers, instead of being destroyed, that how high drug problem were at the time.
    Your English is difficult to understand, but from what I'm gathering, you're saying that the death penalty for drug sale in China ended drug sale? Do you actually believe the shit that you say, or are you just trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You've got one thing right: they are simple. Hence the small sample size. And come back when you can site something else than wikipedia. Wiki is a great source of information sometimes but hardly immune to bias.

no

Or citing something that is editable by anyone? And facts are facts, whether or not there is bias involved. If they're unture then they're not facts anymore, again whether or not there's bias involved.

Small sample size? It's given out by the UN. You have a larger sample than 100,000? And how did I know somebody would say that. "You can't use wiki!" You can't use papers published by a group just trying to accomplish their agenda then. The fact that wiki IS editable by everyone should make it less biased. But as you said, facts are facts. And that chart was made wholely by information provided by the UN. So it doesn't matter WHAT site it's posted on. And wiki is a much more reliable source than a biased organization, or some pinhead's personal webpage. I don't source it for opinion. I take what they have gathered and sourced from other reliable places.

too all those nay sayers put it inm perspective. if your daughter, girlfriends mother had been attacked with acid would this not provoke you enough to want to get your own back? i mean having your skin actualy melt off is horrific thought especialy if you imagine it happening to a loved one.

this dude is geting off lightley with only 5 drops in the eyes. he launched a buckets worth at this woman. this woman probably had hopes and dreams that she will never be able to fulfill now due to the nature of her injuries now her hopes and dreams probably revolve around her not being labeld a freak of nature by passers by or even finding her way unatended to the toilet unattended.

he should be diped in an acid bath then droped into a pit of salt after the acid has taken affect yet this will never make the woman see or look the same again but having that knowledge that her attacker has been dealt a more sever punishment may help her get to sleep a little easier at night.

some people only need that little piece of mind knowing those who wronged them were made to suffer the same pain they were feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    No, objectively, those that place justice above vengeance are better for society, because instead of reacting with gut instinct, they are able to step back and look at the situation.

What will happen if they use the acid? They've ruined a mans life through an act as wrong as his own, condemning him to begging or worse for a living, and he won't have learned anything. Lock him away in jail for a long time and add therapy, and there is at least a chance that he'll understand what he has done, and become reformed.

Of course, it's always easier to howl for blood than try some empathy, isn't it.
    You sir are a prime example of what is wrong with society today. It's common place today to feel "empathy" for those who inflict grave wounds. Maybe a little more "time to take out the trash" is what we need, and a little less "sympathy" would do this country some good. We've had to endure for too long "turn the other cheek". Criminals have manipulated the system long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    The problem does not lie within the severity or type of punishment, but with problems of corruption and culture.
    There's no such thing as "eye-for-an-eye justice", because the whole concept is not based upon justice but vengance.
    The point is, though... That men do not get in trouble for what they do to women over there. A random woman, a wife, a daughter, whatever.

In THAT world, they need something more than, literally, a pat on the back for basically mutilating a 'lesser being'.

That woman, being told by a court that she can pour acid on the man who mutilated her for life, shows that women do have rights. Women can fight back. Men aren't going to be just patted on the back and sent along to play.

For the basic point of what it shows, it is right and it is justified. Her pouring acid is the equilivant of burning bras in the US. It's a woman doing something with the backing of every single other woman in the entire nation, with the fuel of millions of rapes, murders, mutilations, etc powering what she's about to be allowed to do.

It may seem barbaric and immoral and torturous to us...but we're past that. Our society is past women's rights (the initial fight for them) and such. They are still in the midst of a time where women are objects to beat and torture for fun or for whatever honor the MALE wants to preserve. They don't even have the same rights as pet MICE in the US, where torturing a simple rodent can result in fines and jail time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oajng View Post
    This is the way I see it. Everyone has human rights, and should respect everyone else's human rights. If you consciously hurt anyone you concede your human rights from what you have done. Think of it like pvp flagging.
    I find it so hilarious when people take pure neutrality and a flat tone as anger, hate, or rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    I've adressed this so many times I can't count. #1: Reform is unlikely. #2: You're still ruining his life by putting him in prison, maybe we shouldn't do that either? #3: There's a difference in revenge and justice. I said court, trial, judge. Not, let the woman do whatever she wants to him.
    But reform IS still a possible outcome. In a choice between removing him from society so he can do no harm, and having a TINY chance to rehabilitate him into a working member of society... or just blinding the man and leaving him to grovel on the streets for the rest of his life...

It's pretty damn clear to me which one is better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dantian View Post
    It might help.
    Even if it does relieve SOME of the pain (which it won't) it's a VERY short term thing. What good is ruining his entire life so she can feel better about hers for 10 or 15 minutes?

I'm still not saying the man should get away with this. I'm just trying to help some people see how ridiculous an eye for an eye really is.

It serves NO practical use in society, at all.