Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Huge problems with my new build!

So I just built my first computer today, and I thought I did everything right but when I press my power button, the computer starts up for about 3 or 4 seconds and then just turns off. The power light on the motherboard is green when I have the comp plugged in. In those 4 seconds where the computer is on the disk drive functions and I am able to open it, and all of the fans, except for the back fan start up. Also in those few seconds nothing is displayed on my monitor.

I'm totally lost for what the problem is, please help!
    Last edited by Swagula; 2011-05-14 at 01:34 AM.

back fan? as in the one on your power supply? maybe its broken.

Deleted
    Did you attach the motherboard directly to the case backplate - or is it elevated using little bronze 'tubes' (Standoffs)?

Where are your fans currently connected, and (depending on the cable) is its cable connected with more than one other?

I'm fairly certain something is shorting out, and that back case fan could very well be the key to finding out what.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-14 at 02:02 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    plug in your 4-pin connector from PSU to MB

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Did you attach the motherboard directly to the case backplate - or is it elevated using little bronze 'tubes'?

Where are your fans currently connected, and is its cable connected with more than one wire?
    I used the risers on all of the spots that were designated for a micro atx motherboard. I have my thermaltake frio plugged into cpu_fan and cha_fan2. The back fan I guess you call the exhaust fan or w/e is plugged into cha_fan1 and this is the one that does not start up, and my front fan is plugged into pwr_fan.

I hope these terms make sense, i'm getting them straight from my asus motherboard manual.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. check all Mounting screws and make sure everything is secure.
    2. Grab a Multimeter and check you power supply feeds, Voltage and Amps should be listen on the PS sticker and the Motherboard manual
    3. check all connectors PS- MB
    4. pop out your CPU and make sure all the pins are good to go.. no bends then reinstall
    5. Unplug and disconnect everything, Video Card, HD, FD, fans... everything
    6. If you don't have the MB speaker installed.. plug it in.
    7. Start your system and listen for beep codes, If you hear it then write it down. The code will either be in the Manual or Online.
    8. If no Beep then Connect HD then Reboot and listen for Beep Codes.
    9. Continue until everything is hooked up.

Self Diagnostics FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    1. check all Mounting screws and make sure everything is secure.
    2. Grab a Multimeter and check you power supply feeds, Voltage and Amps should be listen on the PS sticker and the Motherboard manual
    3. check all connectors PS- MB
    4. pop out your CPU and make sure all the pins are good to go.. no bends then reinstall
    5. Unplug and disconnect everything, Video Card, HD, FD, fans... everything
    6. If you don't have the MB speaker installed.. plug it in.
    7. Start your system and listen for beep codes, If you hear it then write it down. The code will either be in the Manual or Online.
    8. If no Beep then Connect HD then Reboot and listen for Beep Codes.
    9. Continue until everything is hooked up.

Self Diagnostics FTW
    Motherboard speaker, is that the system warning speaker? If so I can't seem to find that cable there are colored cables hanging down that I plugged in to the appropriate places, pled+ pled- ide_led+ ide_led- pwrsw and reset.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 02:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    I have no four pin slot, there is an 8 pin slot but it doesn't match up with my 8 pin connector.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    This happened to my friend, and embarrassingly to me as well.

My CPU power was hidden under my Heat-sink and I had the same problem when I forgot to plug it in.

There should be a power connector next to ur CPU socket, this needs to be plugged in.

If its not this then follow all of Auralian's list.

Alright well my motherboard directions told me to either use the 20pin OR the 8pin, not both but I plugged it in, and I manged to find the warning system speaker. The computer started up and shut down like before after about 4 seconds, but it then proceeded to restart itself and stay on and the system speaker was making a long beep, followed by two short beeps. I am using an asus motherboard.

Heres something really wierd, the back fan that doesn't spin when I start up, I gave it a little spin with my finger while the computer was running and it just started to spin on its own! Why would it not start spinning on start up, but it does when I push it slightly?
    Last edited by Swagula; 2011-05-14 at 03:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagula View Post
    The computer started up and shut down like before after about 4 seconds, but it then proceeded to restart itself and stay on
    This is actually not uncommon behavior when starting the computer after it has been disconnected from power.

Check the motherboard manual for what two beeps mean; also do specify model (as codes do vary).

10+ Year Old Account
    What exact motherboard it is?

If it's a ASUS P8P67___, then long-short-short means you have a problem with RAM.
    In my manual the beep codes are on page 2-47 called "2.4 Starting up for the first time". If yours is a sandybridge system it's probably the same or similar beep codes and found at a similar location in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    What exact motherboard it is?

If it's a ASUS P8P67___, then long-short-short means you have a problem with RAM.
    In my manual the beep codes are on page 2-47 called "2.4 Starting up for the first time". If yours is a sandybridge system it's probably the same or similar beep codes and found at a similar location in the manual.
    I have the P8P67-M, but my manual is like gimped, only goes up to 2-30 with no troubleshooting info. I guess I will try to take out one of my RAM and try to boot and see how it goes.

Do I need my RAM in the two closest slots to the cpu? The thermaltake frio is pretty much blocking off those two slots so I had the Ram in the farther two slots. Also using just one RAM, or no RAM made no difference and I had the same one long, two short beeps.
    Last edited by Swagula; 2011-05-14 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagula View Post
    Alright well my motherboard directions told me to either use the 20pin OR the 8pin, not both but I plugged it in, and I manged to find the warning system speaker. The computer started up and shut down like before after about 4 seconds, but it then proceeded to restart itself and stay on and the system speaker was making a long beep, followed by two short beeps. I am using an asus motherboard.

Heres something really wierd, the back fan that doesn't spin when I start up, I gave it a little spin with my finger while the computer was running and it just started to spin on its own! Why would it not start spinning on start up, but it does when I push it slightly?
    Long and two short is Video Card not detected.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Two sticks of RAM in the two blue slots... you'll have to find a way to fit it in there if your CPU heat sink is a problem, maybe it can be turned or raised or you can remove the heat spreader from the RAM if it has an obnoxious one like Corsair Dominators.

You should be able to test it with just one RAM stick at a time, and for that one stick it in the far right side (blue). If that isn't working perhaps you're having a problem with the seating... you have to press it really damn hard all along the RAM to get it all the way in. Make sure they are firmly seated.

I just downloaded your manual... that sucks, no mention of beep codes... but my for ASUS P8P67 PRO, one continuous beep followed by two short beeps is definitely the "no memory detected" code. I assume all P8P67 variants use the same beep codes.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-05-14 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    Two sticks of RAM in the two blue slots... you'll have to find a way to fit it in there if your CPU heat sink is a problem, maybe it can be turned or raised or you can remove the heat spreader from the RAM if it has an obnoxious one like Corsair Dominators.

You should be able to test it with just one RAM stick at a time, and for that one stick it in the far right side (blue). If that isn't working perhaps you're having a problem with the seating... you have to press it really damn hard all along the RAM to get it all the way in. Make sure they are firmly seated.

I just downloaded your manual... that sucks, no mention of beep codes... but my for ASUS P8P67 PRO, one continuous beep followed by two short beeps is definitely the "no memory detected" code. I assume all P8P67 variants use the same beep codes.
    Tried one stick in the far right blue slot, no luck, still one long two fast. The RAM is in really tight, I pressed it in pretty hard.

Update: The beeping has now stopped, however my my DRAM_LED I noticed has been on always, so I pressed the memOK! switch, with no luck though, it just returns to consistently being on. I am also still not getting any video feed on the monitor.
    Last edited by Swagula; 2011-05-14 at 04:35 AM.

Well since you really seem to be a novice (nothing against that, I actually fried my first mobo because I never put the spacers in) when you installed your ram the clamps that hold the ram in were open, and they completely shut once the ram was seated?
    I also see that your mobo is expecting DDR3 memory which if the key holes line up you know your are in good shape.

I found some good links (possibly, the first one has a way to stop that dual boot you mentioned earlier)
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=265228
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...d-drivers.html

Best of luck, don't let this discourage you, it really is a lot of fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you swap out that one stick and try the other one? It could be that you have one bad stick.

I think the DRAM_LED should go off once the RAM has been cleared in the POST, so if that's still on then the RAM is still the issue.

Oh and I think the signal to the monitor occurs after the RAM is good to go, so if the RAM is the problem, the process stopped before it would turn on your video output. So don't assume your have a VGA issue yet.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-05-14 at 04:48 AM.

Just caught your edit, that's a problem because your mobo doesn't like the RAM you choose (usually the result of buying lower quality RAM).

Here is a full manual of your mobo. On page 27 you will find the RAM accepted.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...25_P8P67-M.zip

Quote Originally Posted by provokedrage View Post
    Just caught your edit, that's a problem because your mobo doesn't like the RAM you choose (usually the result of buying lower quality RAM).

Here is a full manual of your mobo. On page 27 you will find the RAM accepted.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...25_P8P67-M.zip
    I didn't buy lower quality ram, I got 2x Gskills Ripjaws 4g. It is compatible, it's even recommended with the mother board I have on the build of the month.

Anyways the beeping has stopped, I guess I didn't press the RAM in hard enough, the ram snapped into place, but now there is still no video feed going to my monitor, and I am still having the double boot where it shuts off after four seconds or so and then reboots and stays on. This gpu isn't new, or the PSU, I took them out of my old computer because a just purchased them about two months or so.

GOOD NEWS got to the boot menu, problem is I can only use one RAM stick so two was sort of a waste unless I can find a way to make it fit.
    Last edited by Swagula; 2011-05-14 at 05:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can you only use one RAM stick?
    Does only one RAM stick work? Or are you saying that because you don't have a 64 bit operating system?