Computer crashing after a few seconds!

Ok, so I got this new fan today. Had a lunch break from work and I went to home and installed it. Also when I was there I chose to clean CPU cooler as well. Well you know how friggin annoying it's to install CPU coolers. Broke 2 pins while I was rushing but got it installed nonetheless. It was a bit shaky but it imo was still attached well enough (had a friend who had his CPU cooler attached with only one pin and it worked well)

Now when it gets tricky. I booted my comp and it was running fine for about 40secs and then it rebooted itself, I booted it again but after 5secs it rebooted again. Is there a problem with the CPU cooler or could it be the new fan I just installed? Had to go back to work immediately after that happened, so I can't try it right now, but will be able to check it in about 2hs.

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only way to find out I guess would be to monitor the temperature. You can probably tell if it's a temp issue already by checking the meters in BIOS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keRmis View Post
    Ok, so I got this new fan today. Had a lunch break from work and I went to home and installed it. Also when I was there I chose to clean CPU cooler as well. Well you know how friggin annoying it's to install CPU coolers. Broke 2 pins while I was rushing but got it installed nonetheless. It was a bit shaky but it imo was still attached well enough (had a friend who had his CPU cooler attached with only one pin and it worked well)

Now when it gets tricky. I booted my comp and it was running fine for about 40secs and then it rebooted itself, I booted it again but after 5secs it rebooted again. Is there a problem with the CPU cooler or could it be the new fan I just installed? Had to go back to work immediately after that happened, so I can't try it right now, but will be able to check it in about 2hs.

Thanks in advance.
    Try to see if you can load the Bios fast enough to see the temp. I doubt that the new fan you installed is causing it. You could of forgotten to plug your cpu cooler back in, i've done it before. When you broke the pins i could make it so it's not securely attached to the motherboard.
    All Hail Galvatron!

Yeah well, I don't know now, but I didn't even get to BIOS the second time it booted itself. Will try to check it out when I get back home. And I plugged the CPU cooler back, it worked "fine".

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 10:07 AM ----------

And I was wondering could the temp get so high so fast if it isn't attached well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well, I don't know now, but I didn't even get to BIOS the second time it booted itself. Will try to check it out when I get back home. And I plugged the CPU cooler back, it worked "fine".

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 10:07 AM ----------

And I was wondering could the temp get so high so fast if it isn't attached well?
    It is possible.
    All Hail Galvatron!

Deleted
    Does it beep? Because the beeps on startup indicate the status (like 3 beeps for graphics card missing). If you don't hear beeps, connect the beep speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a CPU can hit critical temp (like 85c+) just within a few seconds of starting, even if the cooler is horribly installed.
    I think you could've knocked one of your connectors loose while you were working inside the case. Double-check all PSU connectors, RAM modules, etc are properly latched in.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

That does kinda sound like the CPU is overheating, and your new heatsink isn't seated properly (most likely because you said you broke a couple pins) I assume the computer was working before you did this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I don't think a CPU can hit critical temp (like 85c+) just within a few seconds of starting, even if the cooler is horribly installed.
    I think you could've knocked one of your connectors loose while you were working inside the case. Double-check all PSU connectors, RAM modules, etc are properly latched in.
    I said it is possible, not that its the cause.

It shuts itself down because something is wrong.Press random buttons until its fixed.
    Or make sure that all the connectors are plugged in all the way and everything is in order.
    All Hail Galvatron!

Threw the beep out immediately when I built my comp about 2y a go :P Going to try to find it though. And yes the comp worked before I installed the new fan / cleaned the CPU cooler.

Now that I think of it, I think I broke one of the pins when I installed it for the first time. So if I'm right I only broke one pin now. And it's not like ripped off it just folded (is that the right word for it?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Threw the beep out immediately when I built my comp about 2y a go :P Going to try to find it though. And yes the comp worked before I installed the new fan / cleaned the CPU cooler.

Now that I think of it, I think I broke one of the pins when I installed it for the first time. So if I'm right I only broke one pin now. And it's not like ripped off it just folded (is that the right word for it?).
    Well, im off to dreamland.
    The best advice i can offer is to make sure everything is plugged in tightly.
    All Hail Galvatron!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get what are these "pins" you keep breaking?? Stop breaking pins man!

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I don't get what are these "pins" you keep breaking?? Stop breaking pins man!
    Well it's the thing that locks your heatsink to the mobo, pins I call them.

10+ Year Old Account
    On newer boards the machine will automattically power down if it doesn't detect a fan, IE if you damaged the "control" pin that tells the motherboard that a fan is actually installed.

(Replace fan, with cooler/heatsink/watercooling or whatever, there just has to be some form of CPU cooling)
    ** Read Newer as motherboards released in the last 4 years.

Got it fixed. Had to replace the pins and now it's working like a charm. : ) Thanks for the help guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    I told you it was the pins! Gotta stop breaking them man!