Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpyx View Post
    Thread should have been named
    '600k Sub Loss EXPLAINED IN MY OPINION)'

I have already read about 15 different threads on WHY wow has lost so many subs, the truth is that none of us know apart from the higher management at blizz I would suspect, enough of these threads now and wait for a blue post explaining it or keep your opinions to yourself, the info released from Mr. Morhaime was merely vague info on the matter.
    600k loss of subs is going to be the new standard. Blizzard will only need to report anything if they have less than 600k leave per quarter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happily not yet another thread about design issues or the game being too easy/hard/casual/hardcore being the reason of sub losses, but I have to say that the difference of 600k subs or 933k subs isn't really all that shocking to me. Fact is, they are losing subs. It is a kinda big number of subs, and doesn't indicate people being happy about the game. Fact is, if you want to know how your game goes you shouldn't listen to that maybe 1% that actually looks at the official forums, but these kind of numbers matter. Now if people actually filled in those surveys on why they quite, I think Blizzard might do a lot better, instead of reading those "I quit" threads, which are at most 1000 of them, which is on the high side. 1000 forum threads, or 50% of the people filling in a survey why they quit, I can see which will be more informative.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpyx View Post
    Thread should have been named
    '600k Sub Loss EXPLAINED IN MY OPINION)'

I have already read about 15 different threads on WHY wow has lost so many subs, the truth is that none of us know apart from the higher management at blizz I would suspect, enough of these threads now and wait for a blue post explaining it or keep your opinions to yourself, the info released from Mr. Morhaime was merely vague info on the matter.
    Im gona go with derpy on this one.

Oh look, another thread that doesn't address the fact that this game gains and loses subscribers in periods.

White collar lies are never blatant lies. I fully expect blizzard to do the same as all business in the world does. That's not to say blizzard lied on this topic. We just won't know, but to believe whole heartedly in blizzard/conspiracy is rather naive.

Quote Originally Posted by dazie View Post
    Ive never understood why anyone cares about the playerbase getting smaller..
    The real content is YOU!

Raids, instances, etc, that's not why most people play. People play because they want to be with "friends".

WoW being the most populated game in genere, only helps it grow. If it in fact starts to shrink, it will not be pretty - your friends gone, servers consolidated (new people spamming in trade), gold-farmers leaving game - resulting in even less subscription numbers, triggered economy cataclysm ... so that's why they named the expansion like that!

tons of people unsub after they beat current content and then resub when a new patch hits. They do this so they don't waste their money on sub when they are bored of it. I dont do this personally but i know people who do

Quote Originally Posted by Weenietot View Post
    So, uh, how does this affect any of us, really?
    In all honesty if your guild mates and friends are not part of the 600k that left it doesn't at the moment.

However Blizzard are making no effort to reduce the cost of buying the game, the original game plus 3 expansions is a huge barrier for new subs especially when consider that Rift is available for a third of the cost and SWTOR and GW2 will soon be available roughly the same price. Thus the rate of new subs joining is likely fall, as we are already seeing that amount of people quitting is outweighing the number joining by roughly 200k per month this early into an expansion it is reasonable to expect that unless Blizzard take action to halt number of people quitting or make it cheaper/easier for new people to join the problem will only get worse.

Has anyone brought up the fact that some of these subscriptions lost could have been bots/multiboxers/etc? There are a lot of pages X.x

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    What about sanity? Or maybe to have somethign to link next time some ignorant fanboy posts how 600k is nothing but 5% loss.
    First we all play this game before we like it and not because it has millions of players...

Second you are more ignorant than the fanboys...

Third, if you are pissed off because some people believe that Blizz's loss is just 5%.... you should keep it to yourself and not go around "trolling" a forum.

Fourth, I believe that blizz has lost 600k indeed... even if they haven't, well.... it won't affect my gameplay fun. Neither will it affect my anticipation for Diablo 3 etc etc. So your statistics and calculations, from my point of view always, are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennix View Post
    For the 1,000th time, wait for CATA in China. They will get subs back.
    You do realize Blizzard nets $2-3/month from a China sub, right?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ellorai View Post
    First we all play this game before we like it and not because it has millions of players...

Second you are more ignorant than the fanboys...

Third, if you are pissed off because some people believe that Blizz's loss is just 5%.... you should keep it to yourself and not go around "trolling" a forum.

Fourth, I believe that blizz has lost 600k indeed... even if they haven't, well.... it won't affect my gameplay fun. Neither will it affect my anticipation for Diablo 3 etc etc. So your statistics and calculations, from my point of view always, are meaningless.
    Anyways more like 15%, since those 600k subs came from the 4 million US/EU accounts. Chinese don't have subscriptions they buy gametime via game cards and get $$ deducted from the card by the hour. If they want to quit, they just don't buy any more gamecards, they don't unsubscribe. They are considered a customer for life, because they have an account, even if they never log on again.

The amount they pay is cents USD per hour, averaging out to $2 / month for a typical player. Blizzard doesn't make much money from these people (after server costs), but it sure looks nice to artificially claim 11 million subscribers, when in fact, they have much much less lucrative US/EU accounts.

Wish our governments protected us from being raped by corporate greed too.

..AND, the OP is saying that based on statistical growth, the number of WoW accounts should have risen by 330k, but it fell instead. So they got 330k new/reactivated accounts during that quarter but lost 930k accounts, giving a net loss of 600k accounts. I like his/her thinking, cuz it's true.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-05-27 at 09:20 AM.