Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ram: 1866 mhz CL9 vs 2133 CL11 ram?

G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28 (DDR3-1866)

or

G.Skill Sniper DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28 (DDR3-1866) (F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR)

or

G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-17066U CL11-11-11-30 (DDR3-2133) (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL)

all of those 3 cost about the same here (the 2133 costs 7 euros more)

feel free to suggest other parts if they are as cheap? (all other 1866/2133 parts either dont fit under my cooler or are to expensive (notcua nh-d14))
    http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compa...s_id=34&lng=en <- to check if it fots under my cooler
    Main: Shantál <Apex>- EU-Al'akir 13/13 HC since Feb 15th '11; 7/7 HC since Aug 18th '11; 8/8 HC since Jan 3rd '12
    Alts: Zeroday <Apex>- EU-Al'akir / Vitiation <Apex>- EU-Al'akir

Shantál vs Alysrazor HEROIC solo [click]

None of them, above 1600Mhz you wont even notice the difference, will limit your OC too which you will be able to drag more out of than just ram.

Above poster is correct. I personally have had DDR3-2000mhz memory (8gb dominator gt kit) and switched to a G.Skill 16gb set of 1600mhz. No difference. The latency isn't really a big deal either, most DDR3 is CL 9-9-9-24 and some of the kits may vary on the TL.

Quote Originally Posted by dfarrall View Post
    None of them, above 1600Mhz you wont even notice the difference, will limit your OC too which you will be able to drag more out of than just ram.
    in what way will it limit my OC?

ripjaws x CL8 @1600 cost 20 euros more than the 2133 one :/

/edit: are there any good brands out there besides corsair and g.skill, i'm not really familiar with ram manufactuerers :/

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 08:31 PM ----------

what about them:?

Corsair XMS3 DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600) (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) 66€

G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600) (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) 68€
    Last edited by brolly; 2011-05-27 at 08:31 PM.
    Main: Shantál <Apex>- EU-Al'akir 13/13 HC since Feb 15th '11; 7/7 HC since Aug 18th '11; 8/8 HC since Jan 3rd '12

Most Ram manufacturers you'll find on places offering g.skill etc are decent.

Had very little ram fail. The last time it was OCZ - sent them half a kit back. Recieved a full kit in return. Can't really fault that

Corsair, G.Skill, Geil, CUBE, Kingston (HyperX) etc. There's lots that are decent.
    Ripjaws are probably some of the better sticks for happy sandy bridge boards tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

If you have an older machine like the X58, you changed the FSB to get higher clocks but when you changed the FSB it also changed the memory speed. Such as on my old i7-920 I had DDR3-2000 mhz Corsair Trident kit, I couldn't ever run it at 2000mhz because my overclocked limited me. It typically came out to an odd number like 1624 or 1833mhz. If I attempted to match the FSB to my memory, the board wouldnt post up because I was overclocking the CPU too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
    If you have an older machine like the X58, you changed the FSB to get higher clocks but when you changed the FSB it also changed the memory speed. Such as on my old i7-920 I had DDR3-2000 mhz Corsair Trident kit, I couldn't ever run it at 2000mhz because my overclocked limited me. It typically came out to an odd number like 1624 or 1833mhz. If I attempted to match the FSB to my memory, the board wouldnt post up because I was overclocking the CPU too much.
    got an all new setup

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing better than OCZ imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by brolly View Post
    got an all new setup
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Please do not go and buy OCZ memory, above poster got lucky with some good ram. G.Skill, Kingston make the best RAM currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please do not go and buy OCZ memory, above poster got lucky with some good ram. G.Skill, Kingston make the best RAM currently.
    I didn't "get lucky". I've had 2 gold plated editions DDR2 800 since '07, added 2 more in '09. Life Warranty and excellent quality. Never OC-ed.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

ok the shop where i buy all my other parts is kinda weird: the 1600 CL9 costs the same than 1866 there, is there anything negative if i got with the 1866's?

ok the shop where i buy all my other parts is kinda weird: the 1600 CL9 costs the same than 1866 there, is there anything negative if i got with the 1866's?
    Nothing negative about the speed, if its the same costs get the higher speed. Just make sure its a good brand.

Nothing negative about the speed, if its the same costs get the higher speed. Just make sure its a good brand.
    yep, g.skill either ripjaws x or sniper, trying to find out the difference right now

Deleted
    Thats why you lower your ram multiplier? :P make it low and youll still be above 1333mhz while maintaining a high FSB

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Thats why you lower your ram multiplier? :P make it low and youll still be above 1333mhz while maintaining a high FSB
    how do i know that my fsb is too low when I overclock the cpu (2500k + asus p8p67 pro) so i need to lower my rams multiplier? :x

I'm kinda noobie when it comes to this :/

10+ Year Old Account
    how do i know that my fsb is too low when I overclock the cpu (2500k + asus p8p67 pro) so i need to lower my rams multiplier? :x

I'm kinda noobie when it comes to this :/

You won't use the bclk to overclock on a 2500K so RAM won't limit it. But I do agree that anything beyond 1600 will not give a noticeable difference. This is coming from someone who has tested 1600, 1866 and 2133. The theoretical bandwidth is higher with 1866 and 2133 but the performance increases in everything aren't enough to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    You won't use the bclk to overclock on a 2500K so RAM won't limit it. But I do agree that anything beyond 1600 will not give a noticeable difference. This is coming from someone who has tested 1600, 1866 and 2133. The theoretical bandwidth is higher with 1866 and 2133 but the performance increases in everything aren't enough to justify it.
    It does if it costs exactly the same tho!

thank you guys for all your help!

"Please do not go and buy OCZ memory, above poster got lucky with some good ram. G.Skill, Kingston make the best RAM currently."

Ive used OCZ for years their crosship return policy is epic. Ive ran the memory highly overclocked and highly overvolted. Please dont bash a company when you dont know what your talking about. And if you wanna be technical Adata, Gskill, Corsair hold the top 10 world records for memory.

My Mushkin Enhanced Blackline makes me a happy man. 9-9-9-24, 1600 MHz, I literally don't notice the difference between this and my 1866 Dominator RAM I have in another rig. Also, all coolers will fit with it. Reason: it's "low-profile", and it looks good. Imo one of the best RAM out there for out-of-the-box rigs that need good, reliable, powerful RAM.

Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-05-27 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by overclockedamd View Post
    "Please do not go and buy OCZ memory, above poster got lucky with some good ram. G.Skill, Kingston make the best RAM currently."

Ive used OCZ for years their crosship return policy is epic. Ive ran the memory highly overclocked and highly overvolted. Please dont bash a company when you dont know what your talking about. And if you wanna be technical Adata, Gskill, Corsair hold the top 10 world records for memory.
    Just for you.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/200...manufacturers/

Also, you have to wonder why OCZ is quitting the memory business don't you?

http://www.googletrendsonline.info/o...-business.html

So, do what you want but OCZ Memory is nothing but failure. Anyone who has working OCZ DDR2+ memory is just lucky.