Nice panoramas, in case people haven't seen them and like this sort of thing:

http://kotaku.com/5927614/panorama-s...ame-around-you

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I agree, there is a lot of good in the game and I've spoken highly (and still do) of the game on many occasions. I still think that despite the painful lip syncing, it has the best cutscenes I've seen in a MMO and better than I've seen in most games. They're better directed, written, and voice acted than many major movies are IMO. The problem for me is that some of the issues, the graphical lackings (IMO, I'm normally not a graphics whore but the style they chose for the game doesn't lend itself well to low resolutions), the animations, the character creator ect. are pretty major for my enjoyment of a game.

F2P game quality is rapidly improving though, so using that as a term for a poor quality game isn't going to be relevant very soon. The game just feels like a AA game rather than a AAA one (like Dead Island vs. Skyrim), probably because it's much closer to a AA than a AAA game. Honestly I've seen most reactions being either "meh" or "I love it!", I haven't really seen any, "This game sucks" reactions out there. And those three reactions pretty much are the full spectrum given how polarized gamers are nowadays :P

I'd be surprised if they had an aggressive trial program this soon after launch though. Most games make their big money in sales in the first 2 months after launch, so they try to milk those two months for as much as they can before opening it up for trials or a similar program.
    Yeah, we'll have to see. They at least have an ambitious outlook. I just hope they tighten up the controls to be a little more responsive. I'm good with everything else so far.

I have to say, I'm impressed with how quickly GM's respond to petitions in this game. I literally get responses in about 10-20 minutes.

kind of bummed about them putting in raids, they seem to be following the typical model that a lot of other mmos have. I was "Secretly" hoping they would turn it into a sandbox type of game.

hopefully 10 and 20 man raids are equally rewarding.

otherwise i am not bothered to find a cabal or run one that requires 19 other people who you do not know neither do you know if they are going to stay with you.. just to get gear upgrade.

I doubt implementing 10/20 is a good idea at all. It was a huge step even for Blizzyblizz and they've made many mistakes working it out. I would even go out and say that as a classical raider the separation was one of the main things that drove me away from the game eventually. Maybe Funcom have someone from Rhonin and co to point the way in the right direction? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    I doubt implementing 10/20 is a good idea at all. It was a huge step even for Blizzyblizz and they've made many mistakes working it out. I would even go out and say that as a classical raider the separation was one of the main things that drove me away from the game eventually. Maybe Funcom have someone from Rhonin and co to point the way in the right direction? Who knows.
    Probably won't be into raiding in TSW, but I think two modes for one raid is a mistake too. They very easily fall into the "lazy design" category that a lot of people have blizzard sitting in at the moment. I think they would benefit to look at Rifts model, because raids and rapid casual content is where Rift shines.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    Probably won't be into raiding in TSW, but I think two modes for one raid is a mistake too. They very easily fall into the "lazy design" category that a lot of people have blizzard sitting in at the moment. I think they would benefit to look at Rifts model, because raids and rapid casual content is where Rift shines.
    Yeah ... that's what I was thinking as well. Hope they get their inspiration from Rift.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    They very easily fall into the "lazy design" category
    Yeah, that's exacly what I would say if I weren't a mouthbreather. Separate raids are lazy and a way to cater to everyone which is, as we've established, not the way to go if you're trying to make a decent game instead of money spewing moster (with fake pink bunny ears) every CEO has wet dreams about lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Well I would say a lot of their problems with the split in WoW came with the fact that the playerbase experienced a shift from 25 man or gtfo to 10/25 being equally viable - which some people didn't take to, causing discontent. Couple that with the nuisance of 10/25 not being the most fluid numbers to balance around.

As TSW will have never have had only one raid size to cater to, and then shifting philosophy and upsetting some of it's player base, they will at least have consistancy on their side.

The other point I saw raised above me was this being an indicator of laziness, well I don't see how making it viable for large and small guilds to run the content is laziness, but rather accessability. If they release almost no new content, well that might be laziness, but not everyone loves the idea of being pushed into a big group to see some of the content.

I'm not a fan of them adding raids to begin with. Raiding brings out that competitive nature in people, and eventually it'll lead to tiered raiding and loot treadmills. I'd rather them work on expanding their game world and story instead. Of course there are plenty that disagree with my sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I'm not a fan of them adding raids to begin with. Raiding brings out that competitive nature in people, and eventually it'll lead to tiered raiding and loot treadmills. I'd rather them work on expanding their game world and story instead. Of course there are plenty that disagree with my sentiment.
    I don't know, there are a lot who agree with you. I'm one of them.

Well we can cross fingers that they will surprise us again, but we will see.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike raids. I just hate the treadmill, and the invalidation of everything you've worked on for months when a new patch comes out. Raids should be a challenge (not referring to difficulty level, but to the activity itself), not a means to an end.

Well my feeling was that this game was the perfect setting to do something different. It just seems like they fell back on the same old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well my feeling was that this game was the perfect setting to do something different. It just seems like they fell back on the same old stuff.
    Sadly trying "different" things doesn't pull in as big an audience : (

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well let's not preach the doom and gloom yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike raids. I just hate the treadmill, and the invalidation of everything you've worked on for months when a new patch comes out. Raids should be a challenge (not referring to difficulty level, but to the activity itself), not a means to an end.
    If Funcom's quotes and Anarchy Online in general is any indication, they'll favor horizontal progression over vertical when it comes to gear and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
    If Funcom's quotes and Anarchy Online in general is any indication, they'll favor horizontal progression over vertical when it comes to gear and the like.
    Doesn't Age of Conan have a vertical gear progression system? And doesn't TSW have vertical progression for "level cap" content?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Well I would say a lot of their problems with the split in WoW came with the fact that the playerbase experienced a shift from 25 man or gtfo to 10/25 being equally viable - which some people didn't take to, causing discontent. Couple that with the nuisance of 10/25 not being the most fluid numbers to balance around.

As TSW will have never have had only one raid size to cater to, and then shifting philosophy and upsetting some of it's player base, they will at least have consistancy on their side.

The other point I saw raised above me was this being an indicator of laziness, well I don't see how making it viable for large and small guilds to run the content is laziness, but rather accessability. If they release almost no new content, well that might be laziness, but not everyone loves the idea of being pushed into a big group to see some of the content.
    This has been discussed many times on the forums and everyone will still stand by their own opinion. I'll share mine regardless:

The separation by Blizzard was done to appeal to larger masses and through the expansion when it went live it has brought very shaky content in terms of quality and diversity.

Why lazy? Because suddenly you don't have to introduce a variety of content. You just make a raid instance and look at balance team busting their asses while you pick your nose. What was the final resuilt? - Naxx -> Ulduar -> ToTc -> ICC. It's very easy to see a pattern here and make some conclusions.

People are concerned with pet battles and how they change the direction of the game. I would say it has been done before and in much more drastic way - one of those changes was the separation. It's always done to bring more players and more money. While I won't disagree that it just might be the way the game is moving, making sudden U turns on the community they've personally nurtured is pure marketing (this is why I also think Drysc/Bashiok is a tool).

I'm not really concerned that separation will suddenly bring different types of players to TSW but it's certainly why content might end being of subpar quality.
    Last edited by Pokot; 2012-07-24 at 09:44 PM.