Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The number of MMO's you have under your belt is irrelevant. It's the quality and success of whatever MMO's you've made that matter.

If that were the case, SoE would destroy everyone, and a number of Korean/Chinese companies would be considered to be very "senior" due to the number of MMO's they release.

The number of games published isn't a very meaningful metric to base anything off of : /
    Actually just the fact that they can find investors for one MMO after another means they are doing something right. You can't ignore that. On top of that if you compare AoC and TSW you can see similarities (both are very unique, not just clones of proven titles) and improvements (TSW has way smaller number of bugs than AoC and most new MMOs). So if I was to bet on titan or funcom/trions next MMO to do well ... I wouldn't bet on titan.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Actually just the fact that they can find investors for one MMO after another means they are doing something right. You can't ignore that. On top of that if you compare AoC and TSW you can see similarities (both are very unique, not just clones of proven titles) and improvements (TSW has way smaller number of bugs than AoC and most new MMOs). So if I was to bet on titan or funcom/trions next MMO to do well ... I wouldn't bet on titan.
    That's foolish. You would be on the company that has had a few moderate sized successes that had tons of problems associated with it, instead of the company that pretty much brought MMO's to the mainstream and have steamrolled the competition for the better part of a decade?

That's foolish. You would be on the company that has had a few moderate sized successes that had tons of problems associated with it, instead of the company that pretty much brought MMO's to the mainstream and have steamrolled the competition for the better part of a decade?
    Tell me the last time Blizz released something you were impressed with. I have seen them release the same stuff for the last 4 years. So no ... I wouldn't like to be part of this Blizzard. The old Blizz that brought MMO's to the mainstream, started SC and Diablo series ... sure. Those guys were beasts. But that time is long gone. Nowdays I appreciate companies that can consistently bring something new to the genre and are ready to move on to new stuff, not just leech of old successes. And old success is all that Blizz is riding on.

And to say something about AoC sure that game had tons of issues, still the 3 months I spent playing it were very memorable experience and I wouldn't trade it for 3 years I spent playing WoW. The rough atmosphere of that game that pushed players to open world pvp was immense. And same goes for TSW again Funcom manages to bring something ppl will remember. Not just rehashed a bit more polished clone of what we have been playing for 10 years now.

But we are getting off the track with this.

Tell me the last time Blizz released something you were impressed with. I have seen them release the same stuff for the last 4 years. So no ... I wouldn't like to be part of this Blizzard. The old Blizz that brought MMO's to the mainstream, started SC and Diablo series ... sure. Those guys were beasts. But that time is long gone. Nowdays I appreciate companies that can consistently bring something new to the genre and are ready to move on to new stuff, not just leech of old successes. And old success is all that Blizz is riding on.

And to say something about AoC sure that game had tons of issues, still the 3 months I spent playing it were very memorable experience and I wouldn't trade it for 3 years I spent playing WoW. The rough atmosphere of that game that pushed players to open world pvp was immense. And same goes for TSW again Funcom manages to bring something ppl will remember. Not just rehashed a bit more polished clone of what we have been playing for 10 years now.

But we are getting off the track with this.
    Tell me the last time Funcom released a MMO that had over 2 million subscribers. Tell me the last time Funcom sold over 10 million copies of a game in the first 3 months after release (or ever). Financially, there isn't a PC developer that can really compete with the kind of numbers Blizzard creates.

You're basing your arguments off of anecdotal evidence. If you look at data, and the trends associated with it, you would see that while Funcom can make great, fun games, they in no way are in direct competition with anything Blizzard releases. No company is really competing with Blizzard on the same level when it comes to PC exclusive games.

Tell me the last time Funcom released a MMO that had over 2 million subscribers. Tell me the last time Funcom sold over 10 million copies of a game in the first 3 months after release (or ever). Financially, there isn't a PC developer that can really compete with the kind of numbers Blizzard creates.

You're basing your arguments off of anecdotal evidence. If you look at data, and the trends associated with it, you would see that while Funcom can make great, fun games, they in no way are in direct competition with anything Blizzard releases. No company is really competing with Blizzard on the same level when it comes to PC exclusive games.
    I am not talking about financial success. I am talking about making interesting games. In this department Blizz has had nothing to offer for too long.

I am not talking about financial success. I am talking about making interesting games. In this department Blizz has had nothing to offer for too long.
    You made no mention of that earlier, so I assumed based on earlier comments (securing investors ect.) you were talking about the successes of the games produced by the studios.

If we're talking about the subjective opinion that Funcom makes more interesting games than Blizzard, then I would agree with you. I find AoC and TSW to be more interesting than what Blizzard has released in the past 5 years, but that's an entirely subjective opinion.

You made no mention of that earlier, so I assumed based on earlier comments (securing investors ect.) you were talking about the successes of the games produced by the studios.

If we're talking about the subjective opinion that Funcom makes more interesting games than Blizzard, then I would agree with you. I find AoC and TSW to be more interesting than what Blizzard has released in the past 5 years, but that's an entirely subjective opinion.
    Cool. The money side is important, but if you make enough to keep making new games you make enough from my pov. After that all that matters is what you make.

Weekend bonus points well spent got myself new shades and a pet!

15+ Year Old Account
    I left WoW because I was tired of the same old. I imagine that when more and more well-thought MMOs come out, Blizzard won't be the heavyweight champion of the MMO world.

Some people like WoW. Some people want something different and are staying with WoW because they don't know where else to go. I hope more interesting MMOs like TSW and GW2 come out... more people happy with their chosen game = less antagonism on their respective forums? idk, I'm trying to be optimistic.
    You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

EA distrubutes Retail boxed copies and does some marketing. It does not deal with development in any way afaik. Funcom does all development.
    Swtor is is developed by BioWare which is owned by EA -thus EA does the development.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still trying to figure out the right build. Tried Rifle and Elemental for a while but unimpressed. Think I should do some sort of Blood build because I would like to heal. Maybe pistol and blood. Shotgun and blood? Looked at the decks but not finding something I like yet.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the right build. Tried Rifle and Elemental for a while but unimpressed. Think I should do some sort of Blood build because I would like to heal. Maybe pistol and blood. Shotgun and blood? Looked at the decks but not finding something I like yet.
    One thing to note is you can heal/tank well enough with just one apropriate weapon. The 2nd weapon you can pick whatever. The big big downside is in healing gear leveling up is kind of painful since your damage is poor.

I would definitely take a look at http://wordpress.tswguides.com/. Specifically the Builds page, there are a lot of great builds/guides submitted by other players that are tried and tested in the NM dungeons.

Cheers,
    Doc

Fixed link for you. - sj
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-08-07 at 03:28 PM.

Deleted
    Love the game, it is truly amazing, the atmosphere of solomon isle really got me. Felt like i was thrown into a paranormal detective-movie which was truly a unique feeling.
    Sadly, i will not buy the game. Not because it was bad or anything but because i feel like it is to "small/short" for being a mmo-rpg game.
    There are in total 9 zones, i manage to do 2½ in 3 days and from what i've heard the ones in transylvania and egypt are even smaller which means i have gone through more than 30% in these 3 days.
    I will keep a watchful eye on the game tho, to see where it is heading. I feel great potencial in it and it has already grabbed hold of me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kessos View Post
    Love the game, it is truly amazing ..
    There are in total 9 zones, i manage to do 2½ in 3 days and from what i've heard the ones in transylvania and egypt are even smaller
    That sounds rather impossible, or have you been playing non stop for 60 hours?? Space bared every cutscene? Used spoilers for the investigations? I used to play 3 hours a day since pre-release and I finished all Solomons island mission found achievements five days ago. There are so many hidden missions alone in Kingsmouth, the first zone of Solomons Island.

http://wiki.crygaia.com/index.php?ti...mouth_missions

If you just ran through skipping tons of content.. well then perhaps you reached Blue Mountain. You can go to any location in the game anytime, but 30% of the game mission content in 3 days is simply impossible. You should check your mission log.

By the way Egypt is GIGANTIC and it looks amazingly beautiful with the dynamic day/night change. The giant pyramid is something you should see, awesome. Loads of dynamic events too with insane cultists attacking villages you need to fight off. The whole area feels like straight out of a Indiana Jones movie.
    Also the monthly updates come with three new areas soon, I read they will come out between August/September.
    I think Egypt will keep me busy for 2-3 weeks... then I'll head on to Transylvania... by then the new locations will already be out
    Last edited by mmocf0ef34080b; 2012-08-07 at 11:27 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Elemental/Blood is pretty fantastic if you don't mind being on the move while you fight. I borrowed heavily from this guy's build to make my own:
    Single target:

His build

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kessos View Post
    There are in total 9 zones, i manage to do 2½ in 3 days and from what i've heard the ones in transylvania and egypt are even smaller which means i have gone through more than 30% in these 3 days.
    Kind of wondering how you managed to do that? Or more specifically, how much of those zones did you actually do?

Main story mission is pretty weak in difficulty till BM and was able to do it is QL2...but actually 'doing' the missions of the zones would cause my to get my teeth kicked in.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-08-08 at 04:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do want to keep range I think but I am tired of the rifle sounds.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

One thing to note is you can heal/tank well enough with just one apropriate weapon. The 2nd weapon you can pick whatever. The big big downside is in healing gear leveling up is kind of painful since your damage is poor.
    I've found that the best gearcombination is a 50/50 distribution between healing gear and dps gear. At least if you level with Blood/AR/Claws as one of your weapons. Gives great sustain and doesn't really impact your killspeed that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
    I've found that the best gearcombination is a 50/50 distribution between healing gear and dps gear. At least if you level with Blood/AR/Claws as one of your weapons. Gives great sustain and doesn't really impact your killspeed that much.
    Good to know. Also some items are big chunks of your overall itemization, helm for example ... so it shouldn't be that hard to keep a few main dps offpieces to keep the 50/50 split. Still I would have prefered if healing gear had some dps stats like tank gear has.

Deleted
    Well, i did every quest i could find in kingsmouth and savage coast, probably wasn't every single one but still.. Also did the dungeons twice each, but i did play about 30-32 hours so that might have to do with it. Did a few missions in blue mountains as well