10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    sorry but me coming from wow,rift,swtor,gw2, aion etc... this is just not a good mmorpg, in my opinion.. who knows, i might just not be able to adjust to the new style
    I think it does some things very well. Atmosphere, the investigation missions, etc. It's payment model is also pretty damn customer-friendly.

It's not a AAA-mmo however, not by a longshot. Animation were horrible when I last played it (don't know if they got any better) for example.

If you can look past its flaws, it's a damn good game, though.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Yep I think the questing in general is better than any of the older MMORPG's. The only comparable one is SWTOR. I also like the world, but pretty much everything else I thought was a bit weak. Worth playing through though, you can get a good month out of it - at least. And for one flat and reasonable price, it's very good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    I have not stepped foot into any dungeons in this game. But from what i hear, they are not exactly the kinda of dungeons you'd want to run with a pug. They are supposedely hard, require lots of coordination and everyone on their A game.
    There are three levels of each dungeon. On normal mode it's not very hard and perfect for PUG's and there is no problem if you fail. On Elite its harder and needs a decent group to succeed, but still ok with PUG's. On Nightmare mode, it needs good people, and whether your PUG group is good enough or not is kind of 50/50, and the issue on Nightmare is that if you fail it, you are locked out until the next day. But you don't do Nightmare mode dungeons until you have played for at least a few weeks and by then, you have had plenty of opportunity to find a clan/guild/cabal whatever.

Since this game went B2P I'm seriously considering trying it out. From the previews before it was released it seems pretty interesting and unique. How does it stack up to the "traditional" MMO experience (thus far I've only played WoW, Rift, LOTRO, SWTOR and GW2)? It still has the "holy trinity" (i.e. tank/healer/dps), right, but you determine it by skills you take?

Basically is there some kind of "Here's the summary of how things work" site with newbie information about the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Since this game went B2P I'm seriously considering trying it out. From the previews before it was released it seems pretty interesting and unique. How does it stack up to the "traditional" MMO experience (thus far I've only played WoW, Rift, LOTRO, SWTOR and GW2)? It still has the "holy trinity" (i.e. tank/healer/dps), right, but you determine it by skills you take?

Basically is there some kind of "Here's the summary of how things work" site with newbie information about the game?
    This thread may be a good place to start:
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

Deleted
    The questing in general is a bit better than other MMO's, it's more like SWTOR and less like WoW. It has lots of ordinary ones (although still quite fun) but some really cool ones too with cutscenes and proper investigation aspects etc.

Combat is quite simple, it's tanks, dps, healer, and utility/hybrid. The hotkeys you click are simple, but the encounters themselves can be challenging, and how you build your character has some depth to it. There are no classes, just one big skill wheel and you pick whatever you want from that. If you unlock all the heal stuff and decide you want to be a tank instead, you just keep going and start unlocking that stuff. The idea is that eventually you have everything and you can pick any role you want.

Thanks! It sounds interesting and looks fun; since it's $30 and you can play without a sub (although there are content patches that cost money, right?) it seems like its worth the try.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Thanks! It sounds interesting and looks fun; since it's $30 and you can play without a sub (although there are content patches that cost money, right?) it seems like its worth the try.
    The game comes fully unlocked, and the first 4 Issues of the game are included. The Issue 5 and 6 DLCs can be purchased through the cash shop, but most of those Issues are endgame content, so there's no need to purchase them immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. "Elgiganten" is selling retail copies for 5€. So I think I will give it a try! Just have to go buy it first tho. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played TSW in a bit. I was one of the people who got a life time sub. I stopped playing about a year ago. I have a character that I stopped playing halfway through Egypt and I'm pretty high ranked with the Illuminati. My question should I start a new character or pick up where I left off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    I haven't played TSW in a bit. I was one of the people who got a life time sub. I stopped playing about a year ago. I have a character that I stopped playing halfway through Egypt and I'm pretty high ranked with the Illuminati. My question should I start a new character or pick up where I left off?
    Personally I would start over. I hate trying to pick up a game after a long furlow and trying to remember what all had happened and the mechanics of the game.

Just saw this. Director's letter for April:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/g...ter_april_2013

Soooo...issue #7 soon?

Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    Just saw this. Director's letter for April:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/g...ter_april_2013

Soooo...issue #7 soon?
    The plan is still nearly-monthly updates as far as I know. They're just about settled in Raleigh, so hopefully they can pick the pace back up (and roll out that new AO engine while they're at it).

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    The plan is still nearly-monthly updates as far as I know. They're just about settled in Raleigh, so hopefully they can pick the pace back up (and roll out that new AO engine while they're at it).
    Please say it's not the version that TSW is using...Funcoms engines are pretty shitty -_-

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Please say it's not the version that TSW is using...Funcoms engines are pretty shitty -_-
    It is, but at this point anything is better than what AO is using atm. Dreamworld engine could really use some optimizing. They should hire/enslave whoever handled TERA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    It is, but at this point anything is better than what AO is using atm. Dreamworld engine could really use some optimizing. They should hire/enslave whoever handled TERA.
    For reals. They need to go to Korea and give them their engine, then take it back a year later. Koreans know how to optimize an engine like nobody's business.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    AO engine is completely separate and much older. TSW and AoC use the same engine, though (Dreamworld).

Quote Originally Posted by Ortwig View Post
    AO engine is completely separate and much older. TSW and AoC use the same engine, though (Dreamworld).
    We were referring to the rework AO is getting where its existing game engine will be replaced with Dreamworld.

As expected there is a brand new Auxiliary weapon for players to sink their teeth into - the flamethrower!
    oh

my

god

Wish aux weapons had a shorter cd so they see the light of day more often then 20-30 seconds :/

just curious do you have to buy the issues before six or do those come with the game?

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    just curious do you have to buy the issues before six or do those come with the game?
    Issues 1-4 come with the game. 5 and 6 must be purchased.