Page 7 of 257 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Playing SW:TOR now, but more excited to try this than GW2 when it comes out. Hopefully I can convince a couple other people to try it with me since rolling solo on a low-pop server makes MMOs suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Bad news: Buy. Plus monthly sub. Plus cash shop.

Hopefully the cash shop will be cosmetic... or perhaps they'll change their minds on that idea.
    Jesus christ, seriously? Can't be one or the other? Those idiots at Funcom are really going with BOTH?
    This is a game I wont even bother with.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Jesus christ, seriously? Can't be one or the other? Those idiots at Funcom are really going with BOTH?
    This is a game I wont even bother with.
    Yeah those idiots at Blizzard selling in-game items for WoW. That'll never work and everyone will rage-quit.

Seriously, most games launch with a sub and box price to recoup as much development cost as possible. There's nothing wrong with microtransactions as long as they aren't game-breaking. Dropping $0.99 for a couple skirts and some fishnets is not going to ruin a game.

Afaik, WoW was not released with micro-transactions in place from day 1. Don't get smart.
    I know Funcom, I know their reputation. All they want is money and they don't really care about their games.

Afaik, WoW was not released with micro-transactions in place from day 1. Don't get smart.
    I know Funcom, I know their reputation. All they want is money and they don't really care about their games.
    To be fair, WOW would have started with a cash shop if it could've.

All EVERY company wants is just money. They do it by making good games. They're not making games to get the warm fuzzies on the inside, they do it cause they want your money.

It's just that they're gonna be doing the bare minimum to get it. Apparently Funcom, in the past, has miscalculated what the bare minimum was. I doubt they'll do that again. (But then anyone who pre-orders an MMORPG kinda deserves what's coming to them.)

All EVERY company wants is just money. They do it by making good games. They're not making games to get the warm fuzzies on the inside, they do it cause they want your money.

It's just that they're gonna be doing the bare minimum to get it. Apparently Funcom, in the past, has miscalculated what the bare minimum was. I doubt they'll do that again. (But then anyone who pre-orders an MMORPG kinda deserves what's coming to them.)
    I agree with the italicized part, but not completely. The reason companies are getting away with bare minimum is because we as consumers are complacent. That's why we get a rehashed Call of Duty every year, and jump on every EQ/WoW clone that comes out like it's the second coming of Chris Farley. We keep expecting more out of games that are obviously more of the same thing.

Different developers have different goals. Ofcourse they all want money, my point was that Funcom does not really care. AoC is just one game out of their failures.
    The thing is, I get to decide what game I want to buy and play, and not them. If Funcom really cared about their customers, this all "funcom hate" wouldn't exist.
    Some developers actually do care what they release to the market (which are just a few) and those are the great games we'll all remember.

Funcom made a mistake as to what would be an "acceptable" game to it's consumers. It's hard to fix that sorta thing after the fact, other than to avoid doing it ever again.

Personally, I probably won't pre-order this game... but if after 3 weeks the forums aren't full of rage and hate, I'll probably pick it up.

Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes, and I won't hold it against them.

That said, the team lead making the game is my hero, so hopefully that means something (he made The Longest Journey pair of games). But Funcom can still ruin it, so I'm gonna hold off a bit. (But I'm still excited!)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, after getting burned myself on AoC and knowing their history with AO Ia too am hesitant to get too excited about this game. Not because the idea isn't more original but because it is Funcom.

Oh and its also EA now too. So..being less than imprssed with SW:TOR right now (though wether its EA or Bioware to blame I dont know...). But Funcom is now EA as well so..yea...I'm holding back on getting too hyped heh.

So I too will be waiting until several months after release to see the state of the game.

However, what has me the most amped is the different basis for the plot - not fantasy or scifi really but more horror inspired. They are pulling from Cthulu mythos as well as other horror standards and THAT is why I have to control my excitement.

lack of levels or whatever - blahblahblah (its still levels even if its skill levels heh); to me that isn't a game changer. Other games have done it, actually - most with little success (in the MMO genre). But the attempt to change the theme and give a little vareity in offerings of the genre is what I look forward to the most. (Yes Iim aware Hellgate did Horror but that wasn't very MMORPG to me and..didnt do well anyway).

If it wasnt Funcom I would probably pre-order cuz Im really amped to see a dev company run with a horror themed MMORPG, but...since its Funcom I will have to wait a few months into release before I let myself get *really* excited .
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The only game that could be considered a failure by Funcom would be Age of Conan. Anarchy Online was great as were The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. They made some other games in the past for SNES and the sort that were pretty standard.

I'm not saying that we should trust Funcom, but if they learned anything from Conan, and actually put it into practice, we should see a pretty solid product when TSW releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Oh and its also EA now too. So..being less than imprssed with SW:TOR right now (though wether its EA or Bioware to blame I dont know...). But Funcom is now EA as well so..yea...I'm holding back on getting too hyped heh.
    Funcom is fully in control of development. EA is only on board to publish. Not certain of what the dev/publisher setup looked like with TOR, but rumor has it that EA rushed BW. Plus Ragnar tweeted a couple weeks ago that things were still on target for an April 2012 launch. Dude takes major pride in his work, which is the main reason I'm looking forward to at least trying it out.

lack of levels or whatever - blahblahblah (its still levels even if its skill levels heh); to me that isn't a game changer
    Well a level by any other name is still a level, but I love the idea of no classes. Games these days have taken the emphasis off the character and put it more on the player behind the screen. It'll be refreshing to have an attachment to a singular character, as well as making friends and not having to remember who plays what alts. Immersion is a lost art.

Like I said before, cautious optimism is the way to go if your interest is piqued. Once the NDA is lifted, we should get a good idea of what to expect.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-02-01 at 07:48 PM.

It was a failed launch but I certainly don't consider AoC as a failed game. I still play it from time to time. So I know Funcom can deliver a solid game experience but I'm just hoping they get it right at the start, rather than playing catch up after a launch.

You are forgetting Bloodline Champions which not many of you know. (Aside from AoC, AO)
    That game is also being ruined by Funcom's give me your money business model.

Bloodline Champions was distributed by Funcom, not developed. It also has a pay-to-win style shop, which isn't rare with F2P games. The devs have repeatedly stated that TSW's shop will be for aesthetic purposes and won't offer anything game-breaking such as xp potions or premium content. I don't get what people's aversion to micro's is about, especially in TSW's case. Sure, I'd like to have some of the fun little things for sale, but if I had such a problem with paying extra money on top of a sub, I just wouldn't pay it.

Edit: I can tell you that I will be extremely disappointed if TSW ends up having a pay-to-win shop, and wouldn't bother purchasing the game if it did.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-02-01 at 08:34 PM.

Is not a pay-to-win shop, letting me know that you clearly haven't played that game. No point in talking to you.

Is not a pay-to-win shop, letting me know that you clearly haven't played that game. No point in talking to you.
    If it's not pay to win, then why are you complaining about it, god forbid company trying to make money with their F2P games. Don't like Funcom, don't play their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    The only game that could be considered a failure by Funcom would be Age of Conan. Anarchy Online was great as were The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. They made some other games in the past for SNES and the sort that were pretty standard.
    Anarchy Online had even more terrible launch than AoC, game was almost in unplayable state for month. Not saying it's not a decent game.

Excuse me, buying a certain edition of the game gives you discounts on FC points which are used the same way as in-game currency (which you also accumulate faster). Same thing. It's still a purchase that gives you an edge over other players who don't play. And I did play, just not very long because I didn't really get into it.

Bloodline Champions is fairly fun for what it is. I haven't played it much but I actually prefer it to MOBAs such as league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by zaoly View Post
    Anarchy Online had even more terrible launch than AoC, game was almost in unplayable state for month. Not saying it's not a decent game.
    Yeah I heard it was bad, but I don't hear much negative about it besides the launch debacle.

Well what I do like about Funcom is that they aren't afraid to try new stuff for their games.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    The The Secret world
    Find the flaw!