Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post
    I dunno, I doubt only rich people will be able to play them.

I think that only rich people will be able to OWN the device, but video arcades will serve the middle class. I'm not totally sure about this, but if you were playing a game inside your brain, time would significantly slow down since your brain does actions as such fast speeds. so, like you buy an hour of game time for 29.99, and in your head, you are in the virtual world for like 6 hours.

Sorta like, only rich people own Pinball machines, but you can pay to play one at any arcade.
    And at some point we will be able to improve our "brain speed" too, imagine with light speed thinking, 1 minute in the RL would be YEARS inside the game.

Oh, and people will understand the concept of "reality" when this technology comes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    .//Hack, much?
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I think its possible, imagine some games like Amnesia with it though... oh my.
    Good idea!

ya its called going to the bar when your a young adult and pick up chicks and or guys.

its "virtual reality" because your usually inebriated/wasted and therefore reality isnt exactly what it seems, so its virtual
    Last edited by mupto; 2011-05-28 at 02:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's already applications that allow you to move things in a game with your mind and voice Some feature for disabled people. Sure enough you can't play wow yet, but I'm 100% sure in 15-30 years you can fully control a character with your thoughts only if you buy the required hardware. Don't know about nano implants but some easier to add and remove :P

This then will be a huge step towards a virtual reality "game"

Just speculating but if our minds were used to play a virtual reality game, wouldn't that put more stress on our brains since we only use somewhere around 5% and only one side of the brain? Essentially, our brains would serve as the processors and have to process at a certain rate to run the game. Games seem more intensive than regular applications like say, image editing.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    Just speculating but if our minds were used to play a virtual reality game, wouldn't that put more stress on our brains since we only use somewhere around 5% and only one side of the brain? Essentially, our brains would serve as the processors and have to process at a certain rate to run the game. Games seem more intensive than regular applications like say, image editing.
    Then we shall overclock our brains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we get to feel everything too?

I want super speed and I want to run fast and go across teh world D: and have wind and water and all that jazz. Maybe when I'm dead I can do that.

I made this really morbid.

i distinctly remember this being really really important about 15 years ago. then the virtual boy went and killed it all.

i impatiently await VR realistic enough to make me forget to eat or drink; that i may die from forgetting to, happily

good god those smileys are ugly. why? were ones with round corners and less scary more expensive?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this will happen in our lifetime. We're just starting with 3d gaming lolz. Maybe 100-200 years from now is what I'm predicting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would see it as a possibility but they need to perfect it first meaning that I would let them test it for a period of time (years and years) and then when they see that they themselves enjoy it, they should release it to the public.

This ='s profit.
    Hey everyone

you'd better not forget to put some power surge control or VR might be the only reality left to live eh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is (or will be) scientifically possible...but I don't think it'll be as widespread or as advanced (intentionally, I'll explain why) as people would speculate. Think about the term, virtual reality, it's another layer of reality, to the smart it'll become a terrifying philosophical debate on existence, what constitutes real, do you leave the game (let's say "world b") and go back to washing dishes, doing chores (in "world a")? Or will those everyday tasks merely be a daydream that whilst you're dodging bullet fire in world b? What will be "real"? People are already becoming desensitised to reality and each other just by whats on a screen, now imagine "virtually" living it? This desensitisation also affects the less philosophically inclined, in the virtual world, they're everything they want to be, how can real life compare to that? In world b, you could be a smooth talking super spy who always gets the girl, always saves the world, and hey, even if you do fail, or *die* you get another go.

I don't think it'll be technology that restricts the use of VR, but rather it'll be people unwilling to develop and produce it commercially.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    perhaps we are already in a virtual reality and just don't know it

Deleted
    I do this every day.
    It's 2037 guys, what year do you guys live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Saw some thing on the history channel where they HAVE invented the technology to control computers through brain signals. It was of course.. a small percent of people that were able to do it and it was moving a pixel slightly :P

Well have to see how technology develops for games, I also read somewhere that because of the tech involved for creating modern games that someday the costs will get so high that video games will be something the rich only have the luxury to play :P
    I don't know why no one has mentioned it yet but, that technology has been around for quite a while now.

Here's Athene playing a league of legends game using his brains:

If this became reality everyone would only play one game.

The one that lets you have sex with any woman you want.

And nobody would every go outside again. Ever.

I feel sorry for real females once this happens. lol I guess they're all going to have to become lesbians.

15+ Year Old Account
    If we can reach .hack levels ill be set.
    Gosh that just seemed amazing.

But if we do itll be all over the news. "Found dead in apartment hooked up to virtual world" stuff like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnx View Post
    They have already developed the first phase of this technology the company Emotiv Systems. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ntroller-brain

So to answer your question yes 100% most defently infact ill be buying this product when it launches in Decemeber. its expensive around 300$ but worth the cash if it means i can eat and fap while playing guildwars 2.

Its funny the company was orginally call it (The Force) but george lucas arts were gonna sue them for the use of force in the name LoL.
    i wonder if i can order that, and how many games its compatible with

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    If this became reality everyone would only play one game.

The one that lets you have sex with any woman you want.

And nobody would every go outside again. Ever.

I feel sorry for real females once this happens. lol I guess they're all going to have to become lesbians.
    Nothing to feel sorry about, being a lesbian is pretty great most of the time.

Besides, I would do the same thing with a VR too. It's not like guys are the only ones that like sex

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    virtual reality is when you are put into the game, your mind is put in control of an avatar and you do everything a regular human can do in RL.

Aka Brain Uploaded into Game System=Fun fun fun.
    Cant happen though,you would have to be sleeping or something, unplugging the machine while in play could cause brain damage.
    and people cant connect organic tissue with mechanical parts.
    As fast as technology is advancing, I would give it a decade or two.