Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Problems with boomkin dps.

I have a ilevel of 359 (one of the best in my raid), hit capped, haste at 1467 so I can get the extra tick on my dots, decent mastery and decent crit. My problem is that I can't get over 12k dps. My rotation is moonfire, insect swarm, starsurge, starfire, untill eclipse, then I refresh my moonfire (or sunfire) then use wrath. Right before my bar gets to 0 I refresh my sunfire and insect swarm. Continue to use my wrath untill I get eclipsed.Then back to using starfire, moonfire, insect swarm. All while using starsurge whenever it procs or is off CD. My name is Iraa and my world is Laughing Skull. Please any help would be amazing.

Refresh the dots while in Nature's Grace effect... besides it... ya... Boomy DPS sucks... w/ 2300 haste w/o Nature's Grace and couldnt break 14k dps on dummies..

this thread makes me feel good about my mere 8.8k-9.8k dps on my boomkin alt, who's just below raid hit capped and ilvl ave 347. I thought something was off, my rotation is about the same as mentioned above. hmmm...
    But there's not a single buff in there that will make Puggy McGee do any less than UberGuildMaster Joe.

on quite a few fights u'll get more dps just multi dotting, staying in solar and moving back to solar asap on nature's grace as u still need to utilize 4pc bonus.. if that's the fight where u need to move a lot or there's more than 1 target u can multidot, consider just spamming sunfire on all targets until u're sure u can safely do ur rotation.

The most important thing: ABC=Always be casting.

If you only have 1467 haste in 359 gear you must be doing something wrong. You should be able to reach 1924 without much issue.

Cast IS before moonfire (and sunfire), not the other way around.
    Cast starsurge as your tank is pulling, then starfall and trees, then dots, so you get the most use out of nature's grace casting actual spells.
    Unless you have to move or there is some time when you have to stop dps, refreshing dots more than once per eclipse isn't worthwhile.
    Try and save starsurge for the first or 2nd (if going into lunar with shooting stars proc) cast in eclipse so it benefits from 4t11 (which is still bugged, thanks blizz).
    Don't eat a charge of 4pc by casting moonfire/sunfire, wait until all the charges are gone and then cast it. Ofc you can (and should, in most situations) cast IS as soon as you are in eclipse to proc nature's grace.

Hope this helps, but bear in mind we are a VERY mediocre single target dps class, our strength comes from any situation where you can multidot or mass aoe.

Check http://www.themoonkinrepository.com/...hp?f=16&t=5853 for more info, very useful resource.

I don't agree with something, don't cast starfall until the eclipse and consumed 4pc bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I have a ilevel of 359 (one of the best in my raid), hit capped, haste at 1467 so I can get the extra tick on my dots, decent mastery and decent crit. My problem is that I can't get over 12k dps. My rotation is moonfire, insect swarm, starsurge, starfire, untill eclipse, then I refresh my moonfire (or sunfire) then use wrath. Right before my bar gets to 0 I refresh my sunfire and insect swarm. Continue to use my wrath untill I get eclipsed.Then back to using starfire, moonfire, insect swarm. All while using starsurge whenever it procs or is off CD. My name is Iraa and my world is Laughing Skull. Please any help would be amazing.
    Which fights are you having this problem on? That might help us help you. I am pulling between 15k and 21k depending on fights and even higher on say maloriak. My boomie is in all 359 except my blue shoulders, and I do not have my 4pc. I do notice it is higher when I have di form our warlock but he isn't always on, he is an alternate for our 10 group.

Edited in Some quick dummy tests:
    Fight length ~3 minutes (Cooldown of FoN)

3 tests total, dps ranging from
    14.2k - 14.8k

As I said I'm in all 359 except my shoulders, do not have 4 pc (Damn you cho'gal you bastard) and I only used my Heart of Ig once (2 minute cd).

So if you are in similar gear you should see similar results on the dummy with no pots, no flask, no food buff, MoTW only.
    Last edited by drghouse; 2011-06-02 at 12:37 AM.

@OP

First, Hit/Spirit and Haste are your best secondary stats. Reforge all crit and Mastery to those stats if possible. My boomkin is iLevel 350 and I have over 2k haste.

Second, you talk about your rotation but you never mention starfall or Force of Nature. I am assuming you are using both of these abilities on cd.

Third, it sounds like you are clipping your dots a lot. I think it is ok to lose a tick of Moonfire/sunfire and IS if you are getting the mastery bonus but if you are clipping several ticks it is probably not a dps gain (not 100% sure of this so if anyone has a reliable source that discusses clipping the dots please post).

@jshidaka

I do 14k almost exactly on my boomkin and he is iLevel 350. I don't know what your iLevel is but you sound like you are pretty geared. I would make sure you are doing everything correctly. Regardless, self buffed on a dummy is not a great metric for the performance of a class/spec. You are missing the SP buff, 5% crit, 5% spell crit, 3% damage bonus, and bloodlust. These are all major buffs.

Overall, Boomkin single target damage is on the lower end but any fight where we can multi-dot and use mushrooms effectively allows us to be very close to the top of meters (I think we are actually the 6th or 7th ranked spec for heroic 25 man dps).
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

If you only have 1467 haste in 359 gear you must be doing something wrong. You should be able to reach 1924 without much issue.
    11.82%, 1513 rating in my gear and I'm nearly all 359. Yes I reforge to haste after hit cap. 1924 with no procs or buffs just sounds really high for 359 iLevel.

Nuthouse - US - Norgannon
    I'm a casual player in a casual guild, let me know where you see any way I could get 1924 haste with no procs.

Edit: Reforged a piece to get it up to 1580, forgot about the new helm >.<
    Last edited by drghouse; 2011-06-02 at 12:47 AM.

Deleted
    2k Haste isn't obscenely high.
    Am on 2,147 and only have 5 HC items. So it's deffo achieveable with 359 items.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish View Post
    2k Haste isn't obscenely high.
    Am on 2,147 and only have 5 HC items. So it's deffo achieveable with 359 items.
    Please let us know your name and realm when making comments like this, so we can look you up to see how you achieved your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraa View Post
    Please let us know your name and realm when making comments like this, so we can look you up to see how you achieved your statement.
    bipolarbearr on hellscream.. i have over 1924 haste with 358 equip ilvl.

I'm sitting at 2048 haste. Can gain a little more with a non-heroic neck but lose too much crit mastery and int to make it worth it. Leynal on Kel'Thuzad if you wanna see. Seems to me the lack of haste is your major problem. I've been over 1900 since 355 ilvl or so. Boomkin dps is ALL about managing your eclipse. I consistently beat out the other boomkin in our raids by a significant amount, not because i have better uptime or better dot uptime, or a more perfect rotation, but because i make better decisions about controlling my eclipse, and when to hold an eclipse and when to move to the next. Something you just have to think critically about on each fight, because each is different. Just as a reference, I pulled 32k on omnotron this week, 25k on val/ther, 31 or 32 on h magmaw, and like 34 or 35 on h maloriak. On a target dummy I can sustain 17-18k just with motw. tl;dr: It's the haste, get moar! :-D lol

Deleted
    Cornish on Steamwheedle Cartel EU for those that want to peruse.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ll/iraa/simple
    OP's armory, for those too lazy to look.

A list of things I notice right off the bat

-You aren't prioritizing haste over crit and mastery, it's our strongest secondary stat now. At your ilvl, you should be able to push ~20% haste in moonkin form

-Un-Enchanted weapon, but I can see it's new, so I'm assuming it will be enchanted.

-Replace glyph of wrath with glyph of starsurge. In between the amount of fights with additional targets, and the amount of times Instant-Starsurge can proc, you can end up casting starfall a lot in a single fight.

Everything else looks good, of course for fights themselves, try to position yourself so you only need to move if needed.

I have the same issue! Booms are RETARDED right now! Blizz nerfed us hard with the starsurge nerf and the cast time on everything is so long I mean seriously? Starfire before haste is like a 3 second cast?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Mages can kill me in less than 3 seconds. With my haste Wrath is still at 1.65? What the hell! Back in Lich Wrath was under 1 second for me.

I'm ilvl 355 and its stupid!

And I cant stand you people telling me wait for 4 set, thats when it gets better, YOU KNOW WHAT DUH! NO DUH of course 4 set makes things better, what the point of it all if its not?

Meanwhile I have hunters in my guild in blues doing close to 20K dps, laughing at my 11K. Cata is the worst expansion ever! I swear the blizz devs are on some serious drugs, the games never been this unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I have the same issue! Booms are RETARDED right now! Blizz nerfed us hard with the starsurge nerf and the cast time on everything is so long I mean seriously? Starfire before haste is like a 3 second cast?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Mages can kill me in less than 3 seconds. With my haste Wrath is still at 1.65? What the hell! Back in Lich Wrath was under 1 second for me.

And I cant stand you people telling me wait for 4 set, thats when it gets better, YOU KNOW WHAT DUH! NO DUH of course 4 set makes things better, what the point of it all if its not?

Meanwhile I have hunters in my guild in blues doing close to 20K dps, laughing at my 11K. Cata is the worst expansion ever! I swear the blizz devs are on some serious drugs, the games never been this unbalanced.
    Sounds like you're having problems with moonkin dps, I can help you out if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post

You have to remember this is the first tier of content, by the end tier we'll be getting faster casts, also i'm pretty sure that they made wrath a longer cast but more damage, since it was devaluing haste when you got to 1sec wraths in wotlk.

As for 4 set, yes its a DPS increase for the majority of classes, but for boomkins its a huge increase, more then most. Got to agree with hunters currently, really strong and not too gear dependant, although they seem to be getting a slight nerf in 4.2.

Boomkins are not retarded! Maby most people playing them but thats another story... Our rotation is not simple and you have to understand it to maximize it. You have to know that haste, spell power, mastery, on our dots is the same for the entire duration as it was when you casted it, but crit changes dynamically, and understan how to use this. You have to know that natures grace is proced but dots but it does not affect the spell that triggered it so you always cast IS first since it only benefits from mastery in only one eclipse and overall even without any mastery is much weaker than MF
    ...My rotation is moonfire, insect swarm, ...

You cant waste casts on the wrong spell. You have to know exacly wich spell will put you in eclipse and be queuing the right spell. If you wait utill you se the buffs proc to change the spell you are casting you are doing it to late, you should change to the new eclipse before the last uneclipsed spell lands. Thats why its so mega important to be hit caped, you have to be 100% sure when you hit eclipse.

I wont even bother checking your gear glyphs build but there is probably a lot wrong there... Boomkins can compete with all classes on all bosses in t11 apart from chimerion (that fight is a total moonkin killer) and to some extent Nefarian and concave of wind. Im in a 10 man raiding guild with 10/13 hc progress and I top or am close to the top on most fights.
    Last edited by Sysunia; 2011-06-04 at 01:30 PM.
    Former BOOMkin bad ass...