Thread: Balance Druid

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Balance Druid

I've been doing a bit of research and poking around. I'm seeing that overall most sim sites show boomkins as being low. All around low damage, low dps, low aoe, just seems like outright a bad class. Then you see the logs...and it's the polar opposite. The top dps in the top horde raiding guild on my server is actually a boomkin.

Now I've played around with my boomkin, and my feral gears- My feral pulls ~15-16k{I'm a tank, so some gems/enchants are off for dps- though not many since I'm usually off tank / dps}. My boomkin gear however I only pull 10-12k dps. As far as I understand I'm pulling the rotation off perfectly { Keep insect swarm up, Keep moonfire up, starsurge/starfall on cd, cast starfire/wrath to push bar around }. Obviously somethings off here. I'm sitting in full 353/359 gear {359 belt/legs/chest/alchemy trinket, rest 353, with witching 2nd trinket}. Other resto druids in similar gear or better are also pulling 10-13k dps.

Is this a player error, or does our T11 make *THIS* big of a difference? Thanks for your time.

T11 is huge for us, like 2kdps huge. There are also a few subtleties in the boomkin rotation when it comes to proccing a new eclipse and leaving an eclipse that you may not be fully aware of. As far as logs with high boomkin numbers this is pretty typical of fights that allow us to multi dot, you'll see good numbers for fights like omnotron, double dragon, halfus, magmaw, council, and especially Maloriak.

Quote Originally Posted by Exostential View Post
    T11 is huge for us, like 2kdps huge. There are also a few subtleties in the boomkin rotation when it comes to proccing a new eclipse and leaving an eclipse that you may not be fully aware of. As far as logs with high boomkin numbers this is pretty typical of fights that allow us to multi dot, you'll see good numbers for fights like omnotron, double dragon, halfus, magmaw, council, and especially Maloriak.
    I read your reply, specifically that part and had this horrible image of a fight with 2 halfuses(halfi) in matching outfits with head bands(red and blue) that attacked with the same moves. Then I shuddered when one hit me with a trashcan.

Balance druids are a dotting class and wecurrently excell when theres more then 1 target that we can dot up!
    The current raid instances only hold 3 bosses (chim, atra, alakir) with only target and that is why you will see the difference between simulationcraft and logs! Simulations are 1 target and 9/12 raid fights are more then 1 target!

If you take logs from a fight like chim you will see boomkins alot lower then the average spec!

And like others have said, we scale very well with gear.. Meaning that in normals we are around average dps, but once we get some hc gear we start to overtake the other classes!
    Last edited by Cluasen; 2011-05-28 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluasen View Post
    Balance druids are a dotting class and wecurrently excell when theres more then 1 target that we can dot up!
    The current raid instances only hold 3 bosses (chim, atra, alakir) with only target and that is why you will see the difference between simulationcraft and logs! Simulations are 1 target and 9/12 raid fights are more then 1 target!

If you take logs from a fight like chim you will see boomkins alot lower then the average spec!

And like others have said, we scale very well with gear.. Meaning that in normals we are around average dps, but once we get some hc gear we start to overtake the other classes!
    Why do you have an exclamation point after every sentence? Did your period key break?

OT: Balance excels in multi-target, falls flat on the single target fights to around middle of the pack

I am The Horde - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by SeaKitten View Post
    those two ads for wow.. the one with the ugly dumb Gnome and Goblin dancing really stupid like.. it made my rage so hard i personally now will never play this game EVER again yes because of those two stupid ads i will never play this game.

ive recently gotten my t11 4 set and i can tell yu its a good dps increase. I have a question to those who have had their 4 set for a while now. Ive noticed that astral alignment charges sometimes fall short of 3 when i enter an eclipse and the only way i can see that happening is if volcanic destruction (proc from DMC volcano) consumes one of those charges. Is this the case or is it just broken for me? lol

Deleted
    If the spell that takes you into the new eclipse state is a crit, it's currently eating one of the 4t11 charges, which is why you're seeing only 2 sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trispec View Post
    Why do you have an exclamation point after every sentence? Did your period key break?

OT: Balance excels in multi-target, falls flat on the single target fights to around middle of the pack
    I cant find it.. And it looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by zearrow View Post
    ive recently gotten my t11 4 set and i can tell yu its a good dps increase. I have a question to those who have had their 4 set for a while now. Ive noticed that astral alignment charges sometimes fall short of 3 when i enter an eclipse and the only way i can see that happening is if volcanic destruction (proc from DMC volcano) consumes one of those charges. Is this the case or is it just broken for me? lol
    If the spell that takes you into the new eclipse state is a crit, it's currently eating one of the 4t11 charges, which is why you're seeing only 2 sometimes.
    Yes.

DMC: Volcano has been tested and it doesn't consume a charge even if the card proc crits.

Al'akir is with more than 1 target mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickileet View Post
    Al'akir is with more than 1 target mate.
    Unless your on add duty, its a 1 target fight!
    We (my guild) only have a small ranged group on adds, but yes you could call it a multiple target fight, but for the most part its 1 target!

10+ Year Old Account

Overtake other classes? Sure the druid scaling is good, but not THAT good. Actually most logs I look at show other classes overtaking druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Trispec
    Why do you have an exclamation point after every sentence?
    Some people just like to write in grammatically-poor ways because they think it looks better. A Bit Like People Who Start Every Word With A Capital Letter. But hey, what is it to us if someone wants to end virtually every sentence with an exclamation or two full stops instead of one?

You must be doing something wrong, I went into balance the other day to see what my dps was like for the first time in months and hit 15k on a target dummy (forgot to multi-dot) with my resto gear (ZA/ZG with several 359's gained outside raiding).

Moonkin have taken a few nerfs to the face, and are taking even more coming 4.2....but I wouldn't worry too much. For me, as a meh geared boomkin right now (Average ilvl356, no 4p set) I can manage to pull ~17k on single target, and ~20k on multi-target fights.

Moonkin really excel at multi-target fights, since we have sustained aoe with multi-dotting, and burst aoe with our doomshrooms.

And yes, from what I've heard, 4p does make a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Overtake other classes? Sure the druid scaling is good, but not THAT good. Actually most logs I look at show other classes overtaking druids.

Some people just like to write in grammatically-poor ways because they think it looks better. A Bit Like People Who Start Every Word With A Capital Letter. But hey, what is it to us if someone wants to end virtually every sentence with an exclamation or two full stops instead of one?
    Im not saying that we go from bottom spot to top spot just because of gear.. But because we excell at multi target dps, you could say that our scaling is increasing more because it increases on more then 1 target.. I know we dont get a double increase for having 2 targets, but when we scale, we do it on all targets!

I dont know what your souce is, but raidsbots (a site that collects all WoL pharses and put them into statistics), shows us being around the middle or just above in 25N and going into 25H we go into the top 5 specs!

The only problem is throughout the expansion blizzards is gonna bump up other classes aoe dmg more and more while throttling ours because of how big a gap there was the first tier. This will all most likely happen while our single target remains average at best, but more likely slightly below.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Moonkin have taken a few nerfs to the face, and are taking even more coming 4.2....but I wouldn't worry too much. For me, as a meh geared boomkin right now (Average ilvl356, no 4p set) I can manage to pull ~17k on single target, and ~20k on multi-target fights.

I dont know what patch notes you are reading but I don't see any nerfs in 4.2, if anything looks like we are getting a slight buff. Looks like it will be easier to get into eclipse phase, a higher eclipse phase means Mastery will be more desired.

Talent Specializations
    Balance
    Earth and Moon's duration has been increased to 15 seconds, up from 12.
    Fungal Growth spell visual effect has been updated to be less visually intrusive and more aesthetic.
    Lunar Shower has been redesigned. When casting Moonfire, the druid gains Lunar Shower. Lunar Shower increases the direct damage done by Moonfire by 15/30/45%, and reduces the mana cost by 10/20/30%. This effect stacks up to 3 times and lasts 3 seconds. While under the effects of Lunar Shower, Moonfire generates 8 Solar Energy, and Sunfire generates 8 Lunar Energy. The amount of Lunar/Solar Energy gained does not change based on the number of points spent in the talent, or stacks of Lunar Shower. Those druids who wish to delay transition in or out of an Eclipse state should now cast the one of their two basic attacks which will not move the Eclipse bar (either Starfire or Wrath).
    Solar Beam has a new spell effect.
    Wild Mushroom: Detonate can now also trigger Earth and Moon, in addition to Starfire and Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I dont know what patch notes you are reading but I don't see any nerfs in 4.2, if anything looks like we are getting a slight buff. Looks like it will be easier to get into eclipse phase, a higher eclipse phase means Mastery will be more desired.

Talent Specializations
    Balance
    Earth and Moon's duration has been increased to 15 seconds, up from 12.
    Fungal Growth spell visual effect has been updated to be less visually intrusive and more aesthetic.
    Lunar Shower has been redesigned. When casting Moonfire, the druid gains Lunar Shower. Lunar Shower increases the direct damage done by Moonfire by 15/30/45%, and reduces the mana cost by 10/20/30%. This effect stacks up to 3 times and lasts 3 seconds. While under the effects of Lunar Shower, Moonfire generates 8 Solar Energy, and Sunfire generates 8 Lunar Energy. The amount of Lunar/Solar Energy gained does not change based on the number of points spent in the talent, or stacks of Lunar Shower. Those druids who wish to delay transition in or out of an Eclipse state should now cast the one of their two basic attacks which will not move the Eclipse bar (either Starfire or Wrath).
    Solar Beam has a new spell effect.
    Wild Mushroom: Detonate can now also trigger Earth and Moon, in addition to Starfire and Wrath.
    Unless I'm reading these wrong, it means casting Moon/sunfire in an eclipse state while you have the effect Lunar Shower, it will push you OUT of the eclipse, severely hurting our multi-dotting on the move, and causing us to no longer have the choice to spam moon/sunfire while moving on a boss fight, in an eclipse state, because we'll get pushed out of our eclipse.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting it, and instead it doesn't affect us while we're in an eclipse state, and generates eclipse power while we're NOT in an eclipse state, which would be the exact opposite of my guess, a pretty awesome buff.

I haven't had time to try any of it on the PTR, so if someone could confirm, that would be great.

Sadly your understanding is indeed correct... the lunar shower change will make dots less desirable during eclipse... dots will now serve the purpose of fishing for starsurge proc's... to the point of NOT refreshing dots on eclipse... but rather RIGHT before.. so we get natures grace for the new eclipse... then nuke the whole eclipse.
    what I am wondering is if not taking lunar showers gunna be viable... since we would then be able to eclipse delay... wouldnt hurt our on the move dps much now cause boosting our "on the move" hurts our "stationary". Just a thought... I have no math to support... just a theory

to the point of NOT refreshing dots on eclipse... but rather RIGHT before.. so we get natures grace for the new eclipse... then nuke the whole eclipse.
    No, that's completely wrong. You will still want 100% dot uptime. Applying dots may consume energy but that doesn't mean it's a dps loss to do so.